The New Midwest Universal Alþing Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:12:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The New Midwest Universal Alþing Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: The New Midwest Universal Alþing Thread  (Read 14311 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »

Well,
I apologize for  This
I should have waited but I just though that debate had ended because all most representatives supported this bill.

Maxwell and Lumine want to create Althing rules. I will explain why I oppose their plan.
During my term of Archduke, only GAworth never missed a vote. If rules existed, for instance:
-at least 2 votes
-a 48 hour vote

I want to be clear, 25-35% of bill would have failed because of this. That's why I don't believe Althing rules are necessary, they could be disastrous for the Althing.

I don't think that I have used the Althing for personal political gains. I'm not a troll, I'm serious in my job, I'm not Xahar. If the Midwest voters elect a troll, they will be able to recall him. So, Althing rules aren't necessary.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2013, 02:20:21 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 02:22:15 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

Well,
I apologize for  This
I should have waited but I just though that debate had ended because all most representatives supported this bill.

Maxwell and Lumine want to create Althing rules. I will explain why I oppose their plan.
During my term of Archduke, only GAworth never missed a vote. If rules existed, for instance:
-at least 2 votes
-a 48 hour vote

I want to be clear, 25-35% of bill would have failed because of this. That's why I don't believe Althing rules are necessary, they could be disastrous for the Althing.

I don't think that I have used the Althing for personal political gains. I'm not a troll, I'm serious in my job, I'm not Xahar. If the Midwest voters elect a troll, they will be able to recall him. So, Althing rules aren't necessary.

Oh, I actually agree with you, we do need a more relaxed environment here than when compared to other regions, which is why I don't want to regulate votes until I see how the current Althing works. Arturo, Cris and GAworth seem very active to me, so the possibility of having things go faster is certainly there.

However, I believe we should have a least one or two written rules to avoid confusion, like rules on ties, on a Governor's veto and a minimum limit for discussion. Otherwise, we might have problems that are quite serious (not the Urban Agriculture Assistance Grant Act, of course, that is just a small confusion). With you in charge of the Althing we all know that there are no problems at all, but what if we ended up with a troll in charge of the legislative process? He would be able to do as he pleases.

Of course, it's your duty and you're in charge of all rules, so doing some of this stuff (like unoficially enforcing discussion limits) without leaving it as a written rule is also competely fine with me.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2013, 08:32:58 PM »

I could see the need for rules. Certainly no vote until all the Representatives have commented, possibly even the Governor or Lt. Governor, but that could be problematic in practice.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Archduke can be recalled!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »

Please relinquish your claim on New Mexico. It was traded fairly for Montana 8 years ago.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2013, 10:13:25 PM »

Please relinquish your claim on New Mexico. It was traded fairly for Montana 8 years ago.

Well it is currently being voted on by the people of the Midwest.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:54 PM »

Well it is currently being voted on by the people of the Midwest.

It is currently in the constitution; the proposed amendment simply continues our rightful claim to Swagger.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2013, 05:39:03 AM »

Thank you, PJ. As the sole resident of New Mexico, I object very strongly. Stop trying to take the land out from under Tyrion's feet!

GAworth
United States

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »

GAworth
United States

« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23:34 PM »

GAworth
United States

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

Thank you, PJ. As the sole resident of New Mexico, I object very strongly. Stop trying to take the land out from under Tyrion's feet!

How insulting to not give the Most Serene Republic its proper name, let alone your horrendous misspelling of "Swagger".
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 11:38:59 PM »

In my frank opinion, Senator, this is a regional issue that only involves the internal affairs of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, and thus it does not concern the Senate nor the Federal Government. I'm certainly trying to deal with said issue and I'm open to relinquish the claim of this state, but only after proper Althing debate and the vote of our citizens. I strongly believe that a Senate resolution instead of a direct appeal to the Most Serene Republic (via Althing, Archduke, the Governor or even the press) creates unnecessary controversy.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2013, 04:05:41 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2013, 05:04:45 AM by MW Archduke windjammer »

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2013, 11:47:38 PM »

In my frank opinion, Senator, this is a regional issue that only involves the internal affairs of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, and thus it does not concern the Senate nor the Federal Government. I'm certainly trying to deal with said issue and I'm open to relinquish the claim of this state, but only after proper Althing debate and the vote of our citizens. I strongly believe that a Senate resolution instead of a direct appeal to the Most Serene Republic (via Althing, Archduke, the Governor or even the press) creates unnecessary controversy.

The federal government absolutely has jurisdiction in interregional disputes. That's literally a large reason why it exists!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2013, 03:56:26 PM by MW Archduke windjammer »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »

The federal government absolutely has jurisdiction in interregional disputes. That's literally a large reason why it exists!

I know, but it would be more diplomatic if you appealed to said region first instead of immediately asking the Senate to take a position on the matter. But if your prefer them to apply pressure instead of letting us actually debate on the matter and try to find a solution, very well, I'll begin discussing these affairs with actual members of the Regional Governments.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2013, 09:53:21 PM »

I know, but it would be more diplomatic if you appealed to said region first instead of immediately asking the Senate to take a position on the matter. But if your prefer them to apply pressure instead of letting us actually debate on the matter and try to find a solution, very well, I'll begin discussing these affairs with actual members of the Regional Governments.

I will gladly withdraw my legislation if you would like to debate this issue in the here and now. I frankly did not believe that would be an option.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »

GAworth
United States

« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2013, 05:50:53 PM »

Yeah, I know, I'm flip flopping here, but I want to pass this with an actual majority of the Midwest citizens, and while I still accept the two names compromise, I decided to drop the claim on New Mexico. I'll give more details once the thread is open.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »

Is that an official statement? If the Midwest is dropping the claim on New Mexico, I'll drop my bill from the federal queue.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »

Is that an official statement? If the Midwest is dropping the claim on New Mexico, I'll drop my bill from the federal queue.

Well, not really, this has to pass the Althing and then a vote from the citizens, given that we are changing our Constitution. Should the Althing or the people reject this, I'm afraid that the claim will stay.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2013, 06:27:44 PM »

Well, not really, this has to pass the Althing and then a vote from the citizens, given that we are changing our Constitution. Should the Althing or the people reject this, I'm afraid that the claim will stay.

Hrm, well I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and just wait.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies