Opinion of the hard lefty laborites who are upper middle class or better (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:11:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of the hard lefty laborites who are upper middle class or better (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: Opinion of the hard lefty laborites who are upper middle class or better  (Read 15421 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
« edited: June 27, 2013, 12:35:44 PM by Progressive Realist »

I'll refrain from being a dick and talking about "not voting their interests". They have their opinions and should stick to them.

I prefer an honest labourite like TNF (not sure how rich he is) to the kind of snobbish latte liberalism that can be found in the upper middle class. Talking about union power just bugs me less than the endless talk about gun control or foreign aid.
Ah, of course the kind of latte liberals who don't particularly care about the actual income levels of the poor of their own country actually are voting their interests, or at least not in a way to actively endanger them (they are not voting to maximize their future earnings... they're not THAT greedy.)

And the degree of influence they've had over the post-1968 left and especially today IS a problem.

I do wonder how much of the working class (especially rural working class) conservatism seen these days is a reaction to the growing influence of latte liberals and other urban elites in American politics. I mean, the Right is so successful at stirring class resentments against liberal cultural and intellectual elites because many of those places and institutions-whether they be the national news media, or Ivy League universities, or the major coastal metro areas in general-ARE the epicenters of America's elite, and have been for a long time.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »

Let's be honest, we don't like the idea of the rich having an opinion about anything. If they're liberals, they seem to be people rejecting what made them rich. If their conservatives, they're just playing to their interests. At the end of the day, "they haven't worked a day in their lives, so they shouldn't be voicing their opinions on things they obviously don't understand." etc.
[/quote)

Well, the rich are the ones whose opinions matter the most in American politics anyways, so you might forgive us if we don't exactly shed tears over the tragedy of the rich having more money than they know what to do with.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:11:40 PM »

I'll refrain from being a dick and talking about "not voting their interests". They have their opinions and should stick to them.

I prefer an honest labourite like TNF (not sure how rich he is) to the kind of snobbish latte liberalism that can be found in the upper middle class. Talking about union power just bugs me less than the endless talk about gun control or foreign aid.
Ah, of course the kind of latte liberals who don't particularly care about the actual income levels of the poor of their own country actually are voting their interests, or at least not in a way to actively endanger them (they are not voting to maximize their future earnings... they're not THAT greedy.)

And the degree of influence they've had over the post-1968 left and especially today IS a problem.

I do wonder how much of the working class (especially rural working class) conservatism seen these days is a reaction to the growing influence of latte liberals and other urban elites in American politics. I mean, the Right is so successful at stirring class resentments against liberal cultural and intellectual elites because many of those places and institutions-whether they be the national news media, or Ivy League universities, or the major coastal metro areas in general-ARE the epicenters of America's elite, and have been for a long time.

The institutions that you describe hold just as much influence over the American right as they do over this country's left

True, but conservative intellectual and cultural elites are perhaps less visible than their liberal counterparts. And your average conservative is more influenced by Sesn Hannity or Rush Lumbaugh than by George Will or William F Buckley, Jr. these days-populist professional ANTI-intellectuals, in other words. Tongue
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »

There's a lot of them out there. If you went person to person in each party, you'd find that it's the Democrats who are actually run by the wealthy. Look at Hollywood and George Soros. Oh wait George Soros represents the common man lol.

Your party is no better on that score. Both parties are run by the wealthy, but the Republicans more so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies