Allen West Threatens To Challenge Marco Rubio In 2016 Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Allen West Threatens To Challenge Marco Rubio In 2016 Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Allen West Threatens To Challenge Marco Rubio In 2016 Primary  (Read 637 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »

A quote from RealClearpolitics:

"LARRY O’CONNOR, HOST: In 2016, Marco Rubio is going to be up for reelection—

FMR. REP. ALLEN WEST (R-FL): Ah, I see where you’re going…

O’CONNOR : There are a lot of disaffected Floridians, I hear them. He rode into town here as the hero of the Tea Party, and really wanted to get back to protecting that Constitution, and getting back to constitutional principles. He came at the same time you did: 2010, right? And you know you both came here with that same spirit. His activity with this immigration reform bill, the fact that he’s on Chuck Schumer’s side of the issue. It’s really leaving people in a strange place with Marco Rubio right now, I think. And I’ve gotta ask: There’s a lot of people whispering that maybe he should be primaried in 2016. What about an Allen West primary challenge for that Senate seat?

WEST: That's a pretty heavy lift, because you're talking about running against a sitting senator, and then, of course, that creates that schism that the other side would love to see happen, because they like to us—

O’CONNOR: Oh, wait a second! They said Rubio would create a schism against Charlie Crist! And that didn’t occur. And you’re an army guy, you like the heavy lift. Now, you’re not saying no…

[silence]

O’CONNOR: So you are not ruling out the idea?

WEST: You know, as I have always said, I will serve this country in whatever capacity I can. My most important concern is my country, and if I see people that are not taking our country down the right path, if I see people that are not standing up for the right type of principles, and putting their own party politics before what is best for the United States of America. (WMAL's "Mornings on the Mall," June 19, 2013)"

It would be awesome Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2013, 09:30:40 AM by Senator-elect Scott »

I wouldn't consider this a "threat," per se, but that is interesting.  If Marco Rubio's not conservative enough for the GOP anymore, who is?
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:30:02 AM »

Yes please.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »

I seriously doubt he could win a Florida primary.

I wouldn't consider this a "threat," per se, but that is interesting.  If Marco Rubio's not conservative enough for the GOP anymore, who is?

Well, lots of people. Marco Rubio has always been very firmly on the establishment side of the party. Getting Tea Party support was due to his youth, charisma, and because it was Charlie Crist he was facing. It wasn't because his policies were more right than usual or anything.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:21:30 AM »

Well, lots of people. Marco Rubio has always been very firmly on the establishment side of the party. Getting Tea Party support was due to his youth, charisma, and because it was Charlie Crist he was facing. It wasn't because his policies were more right than usual or anything.
Yeah, at the time, I considered Crist more conservative, so I supported Marco.  This was at a time when I was a dem.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

Page 29. Not the same race, but still.

But yes, I fully endorse West for the Republican nomination for anything.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »

Do you like him or you want republicans to lose badly? Tongue
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »

He's in the mid 30s and tied with Rick Scott. I don't think Marco is anywher near as unpopular as Scott is.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

First of all, I doubt West can win a statewide primary in Florida (he probably has the celebrity power to move to some very conservative state and be successful there, though), but second off let's keep in mind Rubio may very well not seek reelection in 2016 Wink so the point would be moot anyway. I wonder who would run for a Republican Senate nomination in that case -- surely not McCollum again? Atwater, Bondi, and Putnam all seem to be fairly impressive, and somebody from the House may want a promotion too -- Webster?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:20 PM »

That would be a fun race to watch. 
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 05:05:50 PM »

That would be a fun race to watch. 

seconded, Rubio should win it but West has enough money and hardcore backers to make it a fight, also LOL if Rubio is not "conservative" enough, after pushing Crist aside the last time. The FL GOP cannot be that out of touch.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »

The problem isn't about "not conservative" enough, drop the arbitrary media washing machine dial.

The problem is he said one thing for three years and then did another. He became the very thing that caused the GOP base to revolt in the first place.

Also, there is a successful model for winning an election as an anti-amnesty Republican in Florida. You know who created it? Marco Rubio in 2010. He did it by simultaneously opposing the Arizona law, something which he would never have to vote on but was the perfect sign to send that his opposition to amnesty wasn't based on race. He also supported offshore drilling at a time when that was a very risky position to take in Florida. He not only got ahead of Crist with these positions, but kick his a** by double digits and got within a hairs breath of 50% with the sitting Republican Governor running as an Independent.

That said, if West couldn't win the 18th, he can't win the state. I think it is like R+0 or R+1 relative to the state as whole.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies