Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:07:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: READ THE OP FIRST!
Freedom Party

Horrible Party

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Opinion of the Libertarian Party (United States)  (Read 1704 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »

Not the libertarian ideology, mind you, but the Libertarian Party itself.

Given what I know of it, I seem to agree more with its leadership than with the vast majority of its members.  That isn't saying much, but their overall platform sounds a lot more moderate than the rhetoric I've heard from some of them.  On the other hand, I think nominating Bob Barr in 2008 was a very stupid idea, and I'm still at odds with the vast majority of the tenets in their platform.  Horrible party overall, but not too horrible.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »

HP because a large portion of the party seems to think they're in a contest to see who can be the most unelectable.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:53:19 PM »

I've read the Libertarian Party platform, and I don't see how it's any more moderate than most libertarians...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

I've read the Libertarian Party platform, and I don't see how it's any more moderate than most libertarians...

Well, I'll give you an example.  Just a few minutes ago I was viewing their Facebook page to see how they reacted to the Supreme Court decisions yesterday.  The page officially praised the rulings, but several users denounced them as further entrancement of government power and said that there would be no need for the tax benefits married couple receive if the government would just abolish the Personal Income Tax.  One person even said that the LP endorses actions that are counter to the "actual goal."  I'd bet that these folks are in the minority, but I'm only speaking from personal experience.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

FP simply on the basis that they're a third party, and that I do agree with some of their ideals.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »

Their platform calls for the repeal of child labor laws.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:31:40 PM »

Horrible Party
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

Huge FP, though they seem to take everything I believe in and take it way too far (or rather, I believe what they believe in diluted way). I wish they had more influence and elected persons, though not a majority, just a strong 3rd party thing.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 02:56:44 PM »

Freedom Party, but very disorganized and factionalized like most third parties. I think the Greens have a better future election wise than the Libertarians.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »

I think the Libertarian Party goes too far honestly. I mean, Gary Johnson was a great nominee even if he was light on charisma, but he's an exception, not the rule. Bob Barr was utterly dreadful.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »

Neutral overall. IMO, the party has both good and bad.

Good: Most of their official social positions seem to be fairly socially liberal. Pro-choice, pro gay rights, and supportive of open immigration policies. I like that they generally reject the religious right. Plus, I thought Penn and Teller: B**llsh**t! was pretty damn funny.

Bad: A sizable portion of the party appears to be Republican/Tea Party expats who are trying to appear "independent" by giving themselves this label (Wayne Allyn Root is a good example), which has sort of tainted the label. The party also has a large fringe component including rabid anti-tax activists, anti-immigration activists, and global warming deniers, plus a few paleocon fundies who joined mainly for economic reasons.

Overall, while there are a lot of perfectly sane people in the party, there are a lot of crazy people as well.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

Good: Most of their official social positions seem to be fairly socially liberal. Pro-choice, pro gay rights, and supportive of open immigration policies. I like that they generally reject the religious right. Plus, I thought Penn and Teller: B**llsh**t! was pretty damn funny.

Bad: A sizable portion of the party appears to be Republican/Tea Party expats who are trying to appear "independent" by giving themselves this label (Wayne Allyn Root is a good example), which has sort of tainted the label. The party also has a large fringe component including rabid anti-tax activists, anti-immigration activists, and global warming deniers, plus a few paleocon fundies who joined mainly for economic reasons.

Overall, while there are a lot of perfectly sane people in the party, there are a lot of crazy people as well.

Because support for economic policies that would literally kill hundreds of thousands of people and lower the living standards of basically everyone except is just fine if the party in question is okay with gay marriage and doesn't want to restrict abortion rights.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »

Because support for economic policies that would literally kill hundreds of thousands of people and lower the living standards of basically everyone except is just fine if the party in question is okay with gay marriage and doesn't want to restrict abortion rights.

There's a reason those were the only things I mentioned in the "good" section. Admittedly, social issues are my biggest issues. Economic issues aren't exactly my strong point (Where I am strong is usually with monetary policy), but you could probably file the supporters of the policies you mentioned under the the fringe groups I mentioned in the "bad" section.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

Neutral, they are getting better I think, I liked Gary Johnson, didn't care for Bob Barr though, and some of their Senate candidates (like Marc Victor in AZ) were decent.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »

HP due to their laissez-faire absolutism on economic issues and foreign policy isolationism. If they were to accept the basic welfare state and be like say the German FDP or the Dutch VVD, they'd probably do far better.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

F**kin atrocious party.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »

I like when they play spoiler and help elect Democrats in places like Montana.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

It's the silly party.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2013, 05:51:30 PM »

Horrible Party.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »

I like when they play spoiler and help elect Democrats in places like Montana.

Yes! On these grounds alone I wish them satisfyingly minor success in all future endeavors.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »

Ron Paul's presidential campaigns demonstrated what a failure it is.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 06:48:03 PM »

This is my general position. Gary Johnson was exceptionally good.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »

Neutral, since I like Gary Johnson. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »

About as bad as a party can be without being openly anti-democracy or racist as well.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

While I fundamentally disagree with them on a lot of issues, I still say they're a Freedom Party for standing up for limited government, although I feel the want to limit it a little too much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies