Who should Hillary pick as her VP choice? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who should Hillary pick as her VP choice? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who should be Hillary Clinton pick for vice presidential candidate in 2016?
Tammy Baldwin (Wisconsin)

Joe Biden (Delaware)

Michael Bloomberg (New York)

Cory Booker (New Jersey)

Julian Castro (Texas)

Steven Chu (Missouri)

George Clooney (Kentucky)

Andrew Cuomo (New York)

Howard Dean (Vermont)

Ellen DeGeneres (Louisiana)

Rahm Emanuel (Illinois)

Dianne Feinstein (California)

Al Franken (Minnesota)

Heidi Heitkamp (North Dakota)

Mazie Hirono (Hawaii)

Kirsten Gillibrand (New York)

Al Gore (Tennessee)

Jennifer Granholm (Michigan)

Christine Gregoire (Washington)

John Hickenlooper (Colorado)

Ashley Judd (Kentucky)

Joseph P. Kennedy III (Massachusetts)

John Kerry (Massachusetts)

Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota)

Mary Landrieu (Louisiana)

Joe Manchin (West Virginia)

Jack Markell (Delaware)

Bob Menendez (New Jersey)

Ernest Moniz (Massachusetts)

Janet Napolitano (Arizona)

Jay Nixon (Missouri)

Martin O'Malley (Maryland)

Deval Patrick (Massachusetts)

Nancy Pelosi (California)

Colin Powell (New York)

Susan Rice (Washington D.C.)

Bill Richardson (New Mexico)

Ken Salazar (Colorado)

Chuck Schumer (New York)

Brian Schweitzer (Montana)

Kathleen Sebelius (Kansas)

Eric Shinseki (Hawaii)

Antonio Villaraigosa (California)

Mark Warner (Virginia)

Elizabeth Warren (Massachusetts)

Oprah Winfrey (Mississippi)

Someone else (please specify in thread)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Who should Hillary pick as her VP choice?  (Read 19330 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« on: June 28, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »

Assuming that Hillary will end up, unsurprisingly, as the Democratic primary voters' Choice for president in 2016. Who do you think she should choose as her running mate? Should she make considerations as to sex, age, race, Hispanic/non-Hispanic, sexual orientation, religion, region/state, executive experience and (conservative/moderate/liberal) ideology of the candidate? And what should be more important in her decision?

I wanted to add Madeleine Albright as well, but as she was not born in the US, I realized she is not electable to vice presidency either.

I've thrown a couple of celebrities in there as well, for the fun of it. At least they've been somewhat politically active. Ellen With mostly With gay and animal rights (+ being very engaged in the aftermath of Katrina), while Clooney and Winfrey campaigned for Obama, among other activities. Tongue

The names, as you will see, are listed in alphabetical order.

You may vote for as many candidates as you'd like!
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »

Sorry about not including Tim Kaine! Another one I should have added is Hilda Solis, Obama's first Secretary of Labor. As the very first female latino Senator elected in California, and the youngest state senator serving at the time, she made a name for herself when she single-handedly made sure that the minimum wage of California would be raised in the mid-90ies. The Republican Governor at the time vetoed her bill, which made her all the more determined to let the California voters decide its fate instead. She sponsored the ballot initiative herself With money from her own campaign coffin, and it eventually received majority support from state-wide voters.

Anyone else I've missed out on? I'm sure there should be a few more.

I see Kay Hagan and Bill Nelson have also been suggested. Keep 'em coming. Smiley
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:24:35 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2013, 06:27:20 AM by eric82oslo »

So after 45 votes cast, this is the current top 10:

1. Brian Schweitzer - 26 votes (more than half have picked him, impressively!)
2. John Hickenlooper - 15 votes
3. Mark Warner - 14 votes
4. Deval Patrick - 11 votes
5. Martin O'Malley - 10 votes
6. Tammy Baldwin & Julian Castro - 9 votes
8. Al Franken & Elizabeth Warren - 7 votes
10. Cory Booker & Kathleen Sebelius - 6 votes

Happy with that?

Btw, what's so amazing with Schweitzer? I'm not sure if I get it. That he's a moderate cowboy from a very rural state? I'm not sure that what Hillary needs is a moderate/semi-conservative to complement her.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

Haha, can you imagine if she picked Oprah?  It would be a landslide!

Hehe, it would certainly make for an interesting campaign. Smiley And a very high rating for the VP debate. Tongue

Guess I should have added Wendy Davis (Texas) to the poll as well. Apparently she's been one of the most prominent Democratic politicians in Texas for several years now. Smiley Here's her interview on Face The Nation yesterday: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/06/30/wendy_davis_rips_politicians_using_abortion_to_boost_their_own_political_aspirations.html
She was also interviewed on Meet The Press after what I gather.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »

Oprah's the same way. A lot of housewives enjoyed that show. But the majority can be convinced that she's unqualified, and a little bit weird (in terms of her spiritual beliefs.)

What are her spiritual beliefs?
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 09:56:58 AM »

I think John Kerry could be a dark horse running mate who could work quite well with Hillary. I don't think there is a precedent for a failed presidential nominee becoming Vice President (post 12th Amendment, obviously).

Two (former) Secretaries of State would certainly be an interesting novelty. Tongue
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 04:23:12 PM by eric82oslo »

What about Eva Longoria as a VP candidate? Tongue

Longoria's convention speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NltTF4Ofo6M

She is also from Texas actually. Cheesy From Corpus Christi, one of Texas' main latino cities.

eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »

An excellent article on Elizabeth Warren called "Elizabeth Warren Tackles Wall Street: The reform-minded senator talks tough, and she knows where the bodies are buried.": http://www.thenation.com/article/175084/elizabeth-warren-tackles-wall-street#axzz2YIa1sWjk

I didn't know she was a Hardvard law professor. Smiley Reminds me of Obama's background btw.

The article explores how Warren is introducing her very first Senate bill where she proposes that students should be offered student loans at the same rate as banks get, which is currently at 0.75%. That instead of what Republicans are proposing; to double the student loan interest rate to 6.8%. Smiley
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2013, 11:41:17 AM by eric82oslo »

Either Mark Warner or Julian Castro, depending upon which direction she chooses to go in.

I agree. The main contenders for a VP spot right now seems to me to be:

*Julian Castro (Could put a couple more latino states in play, at least Arizona, Texas and possibly North Carolina, while simultaneusly securing the all-important Florida, Colorado, New Jersey & Virginia - at the same time it'll enable him to get groomed for the inevitable big crowning of 2024.)
*Marc Warner (One of the most popular Senators the US has seen for the past decade or two, and possibly the single Senator with the highest approval rating right now in his own home state. Will almost certainly secure Virginia for Hillary on his own. Is almost as popular with local Republicans as with Democrats which implies he's also the closest the Democratic party has of a Chris Christie kind of cross-over appeal politician. Will be very well received in other battleground states as well I think, due to his moderate, folksy & likeable nature. His Southern base could be crucial in Hillary's efforts to secure victories in Florida, Arkansas, Georgia, Louisiana, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee & Missouri.)
*Elizabeth Warren (Will be a controversial choice due to her high age and her partisan nature, but will certainly fire up the Demcratic base as well as securing a populist message to infiltrate traditionally working class areas of important battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan, plus Hillary-strong working class states like Kentucky and West Virginia.)
*Kirsten Gillibrand (Possibly the most talented female politician the country has ever seen, and just like Julian Castro, most definitely a strong presidential contender in the future, 10-20 years on from now. Hillary is likely to have the future in mind and think cross-generational. Kirsten will bring a lot of fresh, youthful energy to her campaign, perhaps elevating Hillary's spirit and physical-emotional health as a direct consequence.)

An interesting article on the rise of female power within the Democratic party: http://thehill.com/opinion/juan-williams/191675-juan-williams-dems-are-now-party-of-women
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies