Jimmy Carter did better amongst Hispanics than Barack Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:43:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Jimmy Carter did better amongst Hispanics than Barack Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Jimmy Carter did better amongst Hispanics than Barack Obama  (Read 1335 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »

And Mitt "Self Deport" Romney did better than Gerald Ford.

Sources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Presidential_Election#Voter_demographics
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_US_Presidential_Election#Voter_demographics

So, this begs the question: Is the Republican Party really dead amongst Hispanic voters?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »

However, the effect on the GOP is far bigger since there are far more Hispanics now than in 1976.
ElectionLover
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 03:44:11 PM »

However, the effect on the GOP is far bigger since there are far more Hispanics now than in 1976.

Exactly correct! I was just about to say that, and then I scrolled down and saw your reply!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 04:18:10 PM »

Exactly correct! I was just about to say that, and then I scrolled down and saw your reply!

Of course there are more, however proportionally the Republicans are doing better amongst Hispanics than they used to.  Sure, it costs them more states now, but it doesn't seem to be the doomsday scenario is being touted out around here (the whole "THE DEMOCRATS HAVE WON THEM FOREVER!" line that is popular around here).

If Mitt Romney could do better than Gerald Ford while using borderline racist statements about Hispanic workers, imagine how good a future GOP Candidate could do if they were tightlipped on the issue?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:10:48 PM »

I think a lot of the perceived percentage point shift in the GOP Hispanic vote has been because Mexicans have always voted more Republican than Puerto Ricans, Dominicans etc., and because Cubans have been redesignating themselves as "Hispanic" instead of "White" on exit polls.  Nevertheless, it is somewhat bizarre that the GOP gets a higher share of the Hispanic vote now than back in the day.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »

Gerald Ford did marginally better among Blacks then George W Bush did.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »

There was a far smaller sample size in 1976.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »

Nevertheless, it is somewhat bizarre that the GOP gets a higher share of the Hispanic vote now than back in the day.

Wow, imagine Republican leaders talk like that today. Most of this rethoric is even more liberal than what most of today's mainstream Democratic politicians would lay out there. I can see now why Republicans were so well-liked and respected during the 80ies with such compassionate viewpoints as these being communicated to the public...
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 03:25:50 PM »

I think a lot of the perceived percentage point shift in the GOP Hispanic vote has been because Mexicans have always voted more Republican than Puerto Ricans, Dominicans etc., and because Cubans have been redesignating themselves as "Hispanic" instead of "White" on exit polls.  Nevertheless, it is somewhat bizarre that the GOP gets a higher share of the Hispanic vote now than back in the day.

When did the parties switch on immigration? Was it 1992-94 with Buchanan and Prop 187?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »

When did the parties switch on immigration? Was it 1992-94 with Buchanan and Prop 187?

Basically in the mid-90s, Buchanan, motor-voter, and 187 were the biggest things, along with unions and environmental groups reversing themselves under pressure from the Clinton administration.

The coalitions for and against the 1986 bill are truly hilarious in retrospect; Mitch McConnell, Bob Dornan, and Pat Buchanan for, the AFL-CIO, the Sierra Club, Barbara Boxer, Ted Kennedy, Cesar Chavez, and Joe Biden against...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

Well, Romney was technically the first major party Hispanic nominee. Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

Imagine the internet memes that would follow "Part of my family is a Mexican."
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »

Carter was a candidate that appealed very well to Hispanics IMO, while the state Republican parties in states with many Hispanics were probably more anti-illegal alien than the national party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies