The Simple Truths Silver Mine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:17:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Simple Truths Silver Mine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50
Author Topic: The Simple Truths Silver Mine  (Read 119858 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: May 29, 2014, 04:08:48 AM »

The idea of inevitable and linear progress is a terrible myth that needs to die.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #651 on: May 29, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

Romney wants to be Nixon, but he's really Dewey.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #652 on: May 29, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »

Just want to pop in to point out how funny it is that all the liberals are bending over backwards in this thread to oppose the execution of persons who literally exist for the sole purpose of getting people addicted to their product and then holding that over said person for cash. There's certainly a difference between a low-level Cannabis dealer looking for quick cash and a big time heroin smuggler, and that's something we should recognize, but to say that the latter isn't anything other than a disgusting parasite that thrives upon (and preys upon) those who need a fix is pretty insane.

Then again, I guess that should really come as no surprise, given that liberals support capitalism, which is the same kind of parasitism on a massive scale. Like drug dealers, capitalists create "needs" that only they can fulfill, and coincidentally just happen to make them filthy f[inks]ing rich.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #653 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »

truth:

I don't know Meursault it mostly comes across as trying to be controversial and edgy, which is kind of obnoxious.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #654 on: May 30, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »

Rohrabacher was going crazy in his speech. He sounded like a maniac.

He didn't say anything that isn't true.

Well it doesn't change the fact he sounded crazed. This is atrocious legislation.
If you can come up with one argument based on logic and sound reason why people should be punished for producing HEMP, then I will eat my hat.

It encourages disrespect for the laws and authority.
To the contrary, silly prohibitionist laws encourage disrespect for law and authority.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #655 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:36 PM »

Atlas is actually kind of a strange breeding ground for posters who are the opposite of the Gay Mafia, ones who believe that being anti-gay is some kind of sophisticated intellectual position and that those who don't share it are just unenlightened peons who can't grasp their extreme superior intellect that leads them to it.

Examples: Hifly, Tweed and that incoherent tarheel leftist guy.
do you even know who Tweed is?

Yes, the guy who wrote that screed about how Boomer liberals think gay marriage is an important civil rights issue when it really isn't.

Nice failed "zinger". And even if I didn't know who it was, it wouldn't detract from the rest of the post.

Ouch! Someone please sulfermine. After getting Shua a skin graft that is.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #656 on: May 30, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »

Also, this obsession with the idea that a speaker is entitled to give a commencement speech, regardless of what students and faculty think - and receive a six-figure fee for doing so, in many cases - is as baffling as it laughable. Apparently "freedom of speech" is something that applies only to the kind of notable who would receive an invitation like that in the first place, and not to anyone who might protest that invitation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #657 on: May 31, 2014, 02:45:59 AM »

All right, that f**king does it.

The Ambien is making me more irritable tonight, but I'm f**king fed up with this sage authoritarian self-parody BULLS**T.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #658 on: May 31, 2014, 03:01:11 AM »

Maybe our beloved Senators could hush up about an NFL team's name and worry more about the federal government honoring Andrew Jackson by placing him on our national currency. What a joke.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #659 on: May 31, 2014, 06:25:42 AM »

Maybe our beloved Senators could hush up about an NFL team's name and worry more about the federal government honoring Andrew Jackson by placing him on our national currency. What a joke.

Yes as well as George Washington (Indian killer), Thomas Jefferson (also Indian killer), Ulysses Grant (also also Indian killer), and FDR (locking up Asiany people).

The point is debates like these are dumb, which is probably part of the point Nap was making.

Where's muh healthcare?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #660 on: May 31, 2014, 07:32:25 AM »

Well of course American acedemia has a "liberal" bias. So does reality. You can't expect intelligent, educated people to take the majority of American conservatism seriously.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #661 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:30 AM »

We get it, you hate the Japanese.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #662 on: May 31, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

Dear me, I think that this distinction between the 'rational' and 'irrational' is highly overrated. As is the tendency of some to assume that their politics is 'rationally' thought through.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #663 on: May 31, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »

The Millennial have absolutely killed the Republicans, although many would say the GOP killed itself.  That being said, the GOP has lost states like: CO, VA, NC (possibly), and even partly in FL because they are not appealing to younger voters. 

Millennials:

1) 90% of what they care about concerns social issues, which are far more liberal on a national front
2) 10% is economics, largely because Millennials often don't care about fiscal responsibility and since many feel entitled to be taken care of by the gov't and those that have put in their time
3) Far less religious overall than the national mean

While many seem to think the Millennials could actually the generation under which the economy and country blows up, due to diminishing quality of education, lack of overall work-ethic and lack of overall responsibility, plus entitlement, the Democrats seem to cater far better to this generation.

What does the GOP offer, if anything to the dot.comers and if the answer is "nothing", then what?
Maybe the GOP could stop thinking about Millennials in the way described by this OP?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #664 on: June 01, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »

Either way, the way I see it, the best way forward for the GOP is to project itself as the "White" Party.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #665 on: June 02, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »

Terrible end to a terrific series. Rangers should win easily.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #666 on: June 03, 2014, 05:14:38 AM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #667 on: June 03, 2014, 09:08:10 PM »

White Americans are responsible for the existence of racism. This is a fact, not a generalization. White Americans have significant advantages due to their perceived race. This is not a character trait, this is a reality. If you're annoyed by this state of affairs and blame white America for continuing to support a system of racial caste that upholds racial inequity, you're not a racist. White Americans are responsible for racism and deserve the blame and aspersions of those that they've oppressed unless they make significant efforts to change the status quo. 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #668 on: June 05, 2014, 01:48:42 AM »

Well I guess this just confirms that negotiating with terrorists is easier and more fruitful than negotiating with Republicans.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #669 on: June 05, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »

It's a pity they don't have a Nicaraguan or Salvadoran avatar.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #670 on: June 05, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »

I'm legitimately shocked, and frankly scared, about the stunning cultural disconnect between the people here and the real world of the military.

I lived a few miles from a major army installation until last year, and the most significant difference that I've noticed is that the active duty folks who I know are much less eager to pass judgment on Bergdahl than the typical Atlas poster is. They expect him to be held responsible just as anyone else would be, but they have enough patience and confidence in the system not to go berserk in the meantime. That's something to think about before you pull out your soapbox again.

The Bergdahl thread is somewhat depressing, but thankfully, there is this voice of reason right here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #671 on: June 05, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »

Anyone who thinks Family Guy is funny is by definition a HP.

Can't you at least appreciate the show's progressive message?

I never realized stolen jokes, annoying cartoon laughter, and piss-poor writing were staples of the progressive movement.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #672 on: June 06, 2014, 05:04:12 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #673 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

Yeah, if [Schweitzer] were running for Senate there's a damn good chance that he could have been the seat that keeps control of the chamber for Democrats, which does a hell of a lot more for liberalism than running some third rate bid for president against an opponent he has absolutely no chance of beating. All Hillary would need to do in a primary if he even came within 20 points of her would be to run ads on his gun statements and he would be dead in the water with most liberal activists.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #674 on: June 08, 2014, 01:48:35 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2014, 01:22:51 AM by The Alleged Worst »

The term needs to just die. Period. It should never ever be used unless discussing the results of the 1980 or 1984 elections.

On Reagan Democrats.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies