The Simple Truths Silver Mine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Simple Truths Silver Mine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50
Author Topic: The Simple Truths Silver Mine  (Read 118728 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: December 16, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »

Nathan, do you search for any uses of the word 'religion' used since the last time you logged on?  Just curious.

Har har har. No, I do not. The intolerably smug and simplistic nonsense that certain posters spew on this subject crosses my radar more than frequently enough as it is without actively looking for even more of it.

That was a quick and tone changing edit there...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1201 on: December 16, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 03:58:44 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Nathan, do you search for any uses of the word 'religion' used since the last time you logged on?  Just curious.

Har har har. No, I do not. The intolerably smug and simplistic nonsense that certain posters spew on this subject crosses my radar more than frequently enough as it is without actively looking for even more of it.

Well, yes, because I realized quickly that my original tone was uncalled for.

And I'm going to make another quick tone changing edit because this isn't actually an argument I really want to have right now. In my more vindictive moods I often feel that annoying our more euphoric posters is to a certain extent its own reward, which is part of why I act as smug as I do, but at this point it's not worth that much to me that I'd want to take up significant amounts of their time with it. I have things to do this evening and I'm sure they do too.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1202 on: December 16, 2014, 03:51:46 PM »

In any case, I think I've earned the right to be smug about having a better grasp of my own field of study than, well, people whose field of study it incredibly obviously isn't.

You don't have a particularly good grasp of non-religious belief however it presents itself to you, which has came across particularly when I have discussed secular morality (there is a post on the atlas ether somewhere in which you said that secular ethics and the reason for unbelief didn't even concern you)

So you can't fully say you have a 'complete' grasp of the matters at hand. It would be like someone who has superb knowledge of the history of the Democrat Party claiming to have a full grasp of American political history despite never studying the GOP Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1203 on: December 16, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 04:06:49 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

You don't have a particularly good grasp of non-religious belief however it presents itself to you, which has came across particularly when I have discussed secular morality (there is a post on the atlas ether somewhere in which you said that secular ethics and the reason for unbelief didn't even concern you)

That last part isn't the case any more. I'm more interested in those subjects now than I used to be.

For reference, what confuses me about secular ethics is the metaethics, not the normative ethics. I'm...actually not particularly thrilled with some of the implications of the divine command and ideal observer theories (I'm not sure which between these two I personally subscribe to), but I'm kind of at a loss as to how other metaethical systems (other than pure moral relativism or emotivism or things like that, with which I'm extremely uncomfortable on pretty much every level) don't just end up resolving into infinite recursions of self-reference. I guess the secular metaethic that makes the most sense to me with my current understanding is G.E. Moore's, in which (if I understand it more or less correctly) 'good' is axiomatic and irreducible in itself.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Guilty as charged, and I'd like to learn more.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1204 on: December 16, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »

Do you doubt the truthfulness of my statement? Look at Bushie's life. Do you honestly think that Christianity has had a positive influence on it?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1205 on: December 16, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »

Do you doubt the truthfulness of my statement? Look at Bushie's life. Do you honestly think that Christianity has had a positive influence on it?

Well, no, but didn't you concede in one of BRTD's threads that going to a 'hipster church' would be a significantly better environment for him? I'll grant that I completely understand that that still wouldn't be your ideal outcome and you'd much rather him just become nonreligious, but do you understand why for a lot of us that or something similar to it would pretty much be our ideal outcome and we thus view the prospect of Bushie becoming nonreligious similarly to how you view the prospect of him going to a BRTD-style church?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1206 on: December 16, 2014, 07:56:39 PM »

No, honestly. I don't see how anybody can take a look at "hipster Christianity" and say that would be the best of all potential outcomes for Bushie. Other than cutting off the even more damaging Obese Baptist influence, I don't see how going to BRTD's church would provide a positive influence. You're going to have to elaborate, keeping in mind that we are dealing with Bushie, and not a keen philosophical mind.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1207 on: December 16, 2014, 08:03:38 PM »

In any case, I think I've earned the right to be smug about having a better grasp of my own field of study than, well, people whose field of study it incredibly obviously isn't.

So you can't fully say you have a 'complete' grasp of the matters at hand. It would be like someone who has superb knowledge of the history of the Democrat Party claiming to have a full grasp of American political history despite never studying the GOP Smiley

That's not really relevant given the sheer simplicity of Memphis & HockeyDude's bigotry. One does not need a PhD in Poli Sci to refute OldiesFreak's view of the Democratic party.
Jose Canseco
ConservativeDemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #1208 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:16 PM »

my posts
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1209 on: December 16, 2014, 08:17:45 PM »

Why is this idiot still allowed to use the Internet?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1210 on: December 16, 2014, 08:26:01 PM »

I always know I'm doing something right when people attack me rather than my message. Sticks and stones, boys.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1211 on: December 16, 2014, 08:28:18 PM »

I always know I'm doing something right when people attack me rather than my message. Sticks and stones, boys.

Oh, I think your "message" is so loudly idiotic that it doesn't need any further comment.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1212 on: December 16, 2014, 08:39:12 PM »

That's not really relevant given the sheer simplicity of Memphis & HockeyDude's bigotry. One does not need a PhD in Poli Sci to refute OldiesFreak's view of the Democratic party.

That's not entirely fair to HockeyDude, who's slightly more willing to make tactical concessions in these discussions than memphis is and who has slightly more of a sense of humor about the whole subject.

Although the more I think about it the more I think that in this one specific instance memphis may actually have a point--about Bushie's circumstances, not in general--and that's a worrying admission for me to make.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1213 on: December 16, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »

So Christianity is only useful for those capable of introspection and abstract thought? That's a small minority of the general public.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1214 on: December 16, 2014, 09:55:24 PM »

So Christianity is only useful for those capable of introspection and abstract thought? That's a small minority of the general public.

No. That's not what I said. Christianity is ideally useful for pretty much anyone, but toxic variants of it get really virulently toxic (there's no real use denying or dissembling about this), and when that collides with a personality as surreally incapable of introspection and abstract thought as Bushie, it's...at times unfortunately probably the best course of action to pull the whole thing up root and branch and start over.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1215 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:06 PM »

That's not entirely fair to HockeyDude, who's slightly more willing to make tactical concessions in these discussions than memphis is and who has slightly more of a sense of humor about the whole subject.

Although the more I think about it the more I think that in this one specific instance memphis may actually have a point--about Bushie's circumstances, not in general--and that's a worrying admission for me to make.

Thanks, Madeleine.

DC Al is just a big bully, he is.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1216 on: December 16, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »

No, honestly. I don't see how anybody can take a look at "hipster Christianity" and say that would be the best of all potential outcomes for Bushie. Other than cutting off the even more damaging Obese Baptist influence, I don't see how going to BRTD's church would provide a positive influence. You're going to have to elaborate, keeping in mind that we are dealing with Bushie, and not a keen philosophical mind.

One thing to consider is that Bushie basically buys into prosperity theology even if he doesn't say so. But he does believe that God is going to provide him with all these riches for being faithful. You will not find that type of attitude in hipster churches. Furthermore I'll also point out that part of the reason he wastes so much is that he probably views himself as entitled to things like his mega-cable package for all his righteousness, other attitudes you will not find in a church with a "check your straight white male privilege" message.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1217 on: December 16, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »

What is there to grasp?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1218 on: December 16, 2014, 10:58:42 PM »
« Edited: December 17, 2014, 12:02:15 PM by memphis »

One thing to consider is that Bushie basically buys into prosperity theology even if he doesn't say so. But he does believe that God is going to provide him with all these riches for being faithful. You will not find that type of attitude in hipster churches. Furthermore I'll also point out that part of the reason he wastes so much is that he probably views himself as entitled to things like his mega-cable package for all his righteousness, other attitudes you will not find in a church with a "check your straight white male privilege" message.
I don't think that Bushie believes God will provide "riches," but he does seem to believe that God will provide the essentials even if he doesn't work very hard. And he may very well believe the super premium cable package is an essential. However, I don't pretend to understand much about his worldview, and I prefer not to put words into his mouth. Honestly, I don't think he's thought any of it through all that much and just gets bored working and feels like eating Braums and watching football all day long.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1219 on: December 17, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »

I'm not too fond of that one, because it's an obvious swipe at Upworthy, and I don't like anything that makes fun of things I like.

At least he came out and said it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1220 on: December 17, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »

A lot of Republicans don't really seem to care about the dignity and human rights of people.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1221 on: December 19, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »

Are these all jamfists socks?  Damn someone needs a life

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that they are.  Some people were speculating that it was, just because he talked about religion at some point, but that seems like quite a reach.

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1222 on: December 20, 2014, 05:05:40 AM »

Family Guy isn't hysterical, it's arrogant, pompous ,sadistic, and worst of all, vulgar without a point. Which makes it's textbook liberal (not progressive) It's everything Quagmire told Brian in one of the better episodes, and even that was screwed up because he was the last character that should be talking.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1223 on: December 20, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »

If FG is supposed to have some sort of amazing "progressive" message then I'm truly ashamed to be a part of that movement.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1224 on: December 20, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »

In short - whites hate Obama. At least - in Louisiana (and many other southern states)...
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies