The Simple Truths Silver Mine (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:09:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Simple Truths Silver Mine (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Simple Truths Silver Mine  (Read 119842 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: March 28, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »

She's Al Gore Part II if she runs.  We're (and by this I mean Democrats) just going to give it to her.  I do think she'll be an effective leader.  We might be years removed from her crusade for healthcare reform as First Lady, but I feel she's still progressive at heart. 

The President is only as liberal/conservative as the Congress that sends her the legislation. Hillary would bring a strongly Democratic wave with her into Washington.

If you're progressive, you'd be better off with Hillary than a "true believer" who spends their entire term arguing with a Republican Congress.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »

Are Stalin and the like even "True Leftists". A True Leftist, as I understand it, is somebody who refuses to support mainstream parties and instead harangues about "neoliberals" and the like. You can't be a True Leftist in power, because True Leftism rejects those in power as not good enough.

And I think most "True Leftists" don't particularly admire the USSR and instead plum for, say, Revolutionary Catalonia or the Paris commune.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »

"That's neoliberal" has replaced "that's gay" as a playground insult.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

Atlas is actually kind of a strange breeding ground for posters who are the opposite of the Gay Mafia, ones who believe that being anti-gay is some kind of sophisticated intellectual position and that those who don't share it are just unenlightened peons who can't grasp their extreme superior intellect that leads them to it.

Examples: Hifly, Tweed and that incoherent tarheel leftist guy.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »

Atlas is actually kind of a strange breeding ground for posters who are the opposite of the Gay Mafia, ones who believe that being anti-gay is some kind of sophisticated intellectual position and that those who don't share it are just unenlightened peons who can't grasp their extreme superior intellect that leads them to it.

Examples: Hifly, Tweed and that incoherent tarheel leftist guy.
do you even know who Tweed is?

Yes, the guy who wrote that screed about how Boomer liberals think gay marriage is an important civil rights issue when it really isn't.

Nice failed "zinger". And even if I didn't know who it was, it wouldn't detract from the rest of the post.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »

The Millennial have absolutely killed the Republicans, although many would say the GOP killed itself.  That being said, the GOP has lost states like: CO, VA, NC (possibly), and even partly in FL because they are not appealing to younger voters. 

Millennials:

1) 90% of what they care about concerns social issues, which are far more liberal on a national front
2) 10% is economics, largely because Millennials often don't care about fiscal responsibility and since many feel entitled to be taken care of by the gov't and those that have put in their time
3) Far less religious overall than the national mean

While many seem to think the Millennials could actually the generation under which the economy and country blows up, due to diminishing quality of education, lack of overall work-ethic and lack of overall responsibility, plus entitlement, the Democrats seem to cater far better to this generation.

What does the GOP offer, if anything to the dot.comers and if the answer is "nothing", then what?
Maybe the GOP could stop thinking about Millennials in the way described by this OP?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

Yeah, if [Schweitzer] were running for Senate there's a damn good chance that he could have been the seat that keeps control of the chamber for Democrats, which does a hell of a lot more for liberalism than running some third rate bid for president against an opponent he has absolutely no chance of beating. All Hillary would need to do in a primary if he even came within 20 points of her would be to run ads on his gun statements and he would be dead in the water with most liberal activists.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 03:08:13 PM »

[Eisenhower] was probably one of the most truly conservative Presidents the US ever had, in the proper meaning of the word. Modern "conservatives" are actually reactionaries.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »

Of course, we all want Sarah Palin to run for President because she's a compelling buffoon.  We want to see the media circus and resulting disaster.  It would be great.  But, at this point, there's no reason to get your hopes up.  It's like your crazy uncle who's had 10,000 crazy ideas about how he's going to start a million dollar business.  Sure, once he has that giant Alpaca farm, you want to go and pet the Alapacas.  But, until then, it's just a bunch of talk.  It's the same with Sarah Palin.

At this point, Sarah Palin is an honorary Kardashian.  She's a dumb loud woman and nobody really knows what her job title is besides famous person.  She's not a writer, a talk show host, a politician, or a thinker.  She's just an annoying lady from Alaska. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »

'What age do you plan on getting married'

What are we all? 6? I might as well ask if you all want to be a fireman when you grow up. You don't plan anything like this; marriage happens when it happens (and unhappens when it needs to happen too) To think otherwise, or to try and plan it out is a bit strange.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:36:18 AM »

Voters in Florida, New York, New Jersey, South Carolina etc seem to go out of their way from time to time in making Democracy look bad.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

She's not really as awful of a person as the internet makes her out to be.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 02:13:32 PM »

This is another case where Americans are hurt by not knowing themselves. Because people hold onto the mythology of Infinite Opportunity, they don't see themselves as Poors, Working Classers, or even Richers. Everybody is Middle Class, floating around like an Oklahoman in the Update, convinced that one of these days things are going to work out if we just believe. Americans need a serious dose of realism. We're all busting our butts for peanuts, and things are not going to change until we make low prestige jobs worthwhile. It is not possible for everybody to be a doctor, a CEO, or a lottery winner.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 03:38:44 PM »

This is another case where Americans are hurt by not knowing themselves. Because people hold onto the mythology of Infinite Opportunity, they don't see themselves as Poors, Working Classers, or even Richers. Everybody is Middle Class, floating around like an Oklahoman in the Update, convinced that one of these days things are going to work out if we just believe. Americans need a serious dose of realism. We're all busting our butts for peanuts, and things are not going to change until we make low prestige jobs worthwhile. It is not possible for everybody to be a doctor, a CEO, or a lottery winner.

So you're acknowledging the need for class consciousness? Wink

I'm acknowledging the need for equality of opportunity and upward mobility, both of which have been on the decline.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »

Thirty years ago, if there was a problem, you had a Democratic solution and a Republican solution.

Today, if there is a problem, you have a Democratic solution and a Republican conspiracy theory denying the problem even exists.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »

Most Americans want to be thin, too. That doesn't stop them from eating that pizza and chocolate cake.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 02:20:57 PM »

But yeah, this is definitely 2010 2.0, real good analysis Stu.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 12:06:54 PM »

But, I don't want McCain voters pretending they were down with Kucinich because Rand Paul is the new Republican star.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:19:46 PM »

And what right does any GOP/Regressive have to call out anyone for hyping a candidate? They're still worshipping a 10 years dead, 25 years out-of-office, Dixiecratic (despite not coming from the South) relic who was a relic even when he first ran?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »

I like how MoronDem calls out the GOP for having a double standard on that. First of all, it's the opposition party that beats up on the GOP for idolizing a past President. Secondly, the same people that do that have been slobbering over JFK for much, much longer and his "glamour" has been beaten over the public's head far more often than Reagan's.

I rarely hear Democratic politicians refer to JFK. You can't go 5 minutes listening to any Republican presidential candidate give a stump speech without them name dropping Reagan at least once, usually multiple times.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »

I like how MoronDem calls out the GOP for having a double standard on that. First of all, it's the opposition party that beats up on the GOP for idolizing a past President. Secondly, the same people that do that have been slobbering over JFK for much, much longer and his "glamour" has been beaten over the public's head far more often than Reagan's.

I rarely hear Democratic politicians refer to JFK.

...get your hearing checked if you "rarely hear" Dems showering praise not only on JFK but the entire Kennedy clan.

Feel free to go through the 2008 Democratic debates to see if JFK was mentioned anywhere near as much. But we both know he wasn't, so what's the point?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 12:40:12 AM »

I think a critical part of the far left is that ideas can only be expressed in dense, convoluted text. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 11:33:37 PM »

Being progressive means not aligning with joke parties who nominate idiots like Cynthia McKinney. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »

We already have a centrist party. They're called Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 09:00:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies