CANONICAL UPDATE READING LIST
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:09:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  CANONICAL UPDATE READING LIST
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CANONICAL UPDATE READING LIST  (Read 20397 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2013, 02:43:10 AM »
« edited: November 28, 2014, 01:27:48 PM by Хahar »

Update is a truly great narrative and it deserves to be experienced by the world; unfortunately, because it was carried out in a series of threads on this forum that were subject to periodic locking by Bushie and by moderators, the task of experiencing this great narrative can be daunting at times, being spread out in several different places.

This thread is for people already familiar with Update, but also for people new to the story, so that they might know the proper order in which to read it. Links to Update threads follow.

(As an aside, I strongly prefer reading Update with signatures not displayed. A forum account is required to turn signatures off.)

June 5 to 9, 2009: Interesting Developments may be a brewin'!! (Warning: Attn Whoring)

Read pages 1 and 2.

July 11 to 25, 2009: Update

Read pages 1 to 15.

January 17 to July 14, 2010: An update on the life of your in-house Reverand :)

Read pages 1 to 29. Stop before you get to the end of page 29 and save the thread for later.

July 17 to 29, 2010: I may have a new job pretty soon!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring)

Read this thread in its entirety. This is widely regarded as Update's finest hour.

July 29 to August 3, 2010: Is BushOklahoma's "I have a new job!!!" thread the best of the year?

Note that this thread exists only in PDF form now (which is why it is sometimes called "the Lost Update"); the link is to download the PDF. Note also that Bushie goes here by "Carl Albert Revivalist" (his display name when the PDF was made) and that pages in the PDF are shorter than pages on this site. Read pages 1 to 51 and save the file for later.

August 6, 2010 to March 14, 2011: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :)

Continue reading this thread from page 29 to the beginning of page 173 when Bushie declares the thread locked. Again leave the thread for later.

March 15 to 20, 2011: Is BushOklahoma's "I have a new job!!!" thread the best of the year?

This is the PDF again. Read from page 51 to the end. There is some overlap between this installment and the next, but it should not be a problem.

March 18 to May 5, 2011: An update on the life of your in-house Reverend :)

Read from page 173 to the end.

November 16, 2011 to April 3, 2012: I have a HUGE opportunity (Attention Whoring)

Read pages 1 to 35 and save the thread for later.

April 3 to 7, 2012: Opinion of BushOklahoma

Read this thread in its entirety.

April 8 to October 17, 2012: I have a HUGE opportunity (Attention Whoring)

Read from page 35 to the end.

Fortunately, Update is simple after this. All the following threads are presented in chronological order to be read from start to finish.

October 17, 2012 to February 1, 2013: Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4)

February 1 to March 21, 2013: Bushie: The Final Frontier - Update Season V

March 28 to April 26, 2013: Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning"

May 6 to June 7, 2013: Update Season VII: "The OK Corral"

June 7 to July 23, 2013: Update Season VIII - "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"

July 23 to September 3, 2013: Update Season IX - "CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD, Kenya, CAD"

September 3 to October 17, 2013: Update Season X - "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Vol. I."

October 17 to 29, 2013: Update Season XI - "Christmas and Love are in the air"

January 11 to February 25, 2014: Update Season XII - Back by popular demand.

February 25 to March 27, 2014: Update Season XIII

March 27 to April 22, 2014: Update Season XIV: The new chapter

May 5 to July 26, 2014: Update Season XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again

July 26 to October 18, 2014: Update Season XVI: Sidejackin' it in the Train Room.

October 18 to November 19, 2014: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch

November 19, 2014 to present: Update XIX: Melancholy and the Infinite Napping

If you want to see the content of Update threads at a glance, look no further than Lief's excellent post on the subject:

WARNING: UPDATE SPOILERS FOLLOW

I've updated the list with the latest breaking research:

Can you feel the love tonight?? (Warning: Attn Whoring) (June 2009)
     Bushie meets Tiffanye, literally decides to marry her the next day. (This is considered a prologue, not season 1).

Update (July 2009 - Sept 2009)     
     The end of the Tiffanye relationship. Also includes a short-lived spinoff series about AHDuke's Asian mistress (cancelled after one season).

An update on the life of your in-house Reverand :)1 (January 2010 - May 2011) and I may have a new job pretty soon!!! (Yes, Attention Whoring) (July 2010)
      The beginning, middle, and end of the Susan relationship. The search for a new job after the quitting ONG for that New Zealand scam. Bushie becomes a door-to-door Ameriplan salesman. Bushie becomes a door-to-door vacuum salesman. Bushie's cat scratches him; he breaks down in tears. Bushie finally gets serious about his weight loss. He gets a job at a Sprint call center. The season ends on a cliffhanger: will he get the Dell temp job or not? This is probably the peak of the BushOklahoma saga.

Update Season 2.5: The Lost Season??? (June 2011 - October 2011)
     Plot summary lost to the mists of time.

I have a HUGE opportunity (Attention Whoring)2 (November 2011 - October 2012)     
     The season begins with news of Bushie's upcoming Kenya trip. The Kenya storyline dominates much of the season, including the news that he is now a father of two and a brief malaria scare once back in the states. Bushie considers quitting Dell to work at AT&T, but God ensures he is hired permanently at Dell just days before he leaves for Kenya. His lifelong career at Dell begins. Bushie is let go from Dell. He finds a job at Xerox. Bushie finally gets serious about his weight loss. Bushie gets a big promotion at Xerox, with news of a move to Utah. In a surprise twist, this turns out to all be a lie and he is no longer working at Xerox. A new job search begins and a big move takes place.

Days of Bushie's Life (Update Thread v4) (October 2012 - February 2013)
     Bushie begins life anew in Utah. Bushie finally gets serious about his weight loss. He learns the joys of voluntary time-off as he becomes acclimated to his new job. Bushie stays up too late playing Monopoly and misses church. Bushie hazards the elements as he is forced to deal with months of intermittent snowfall.

Bushie: The Final Frontier - Update Season V (February 2013 - March 2013)     
     This season charts Bushie's final days in Utah, before his sudden move back to Oklahoma to watch over his house and live with his parents. Bushie finally gets serious about his weight loss. Bushie begins planning his next Kenya trip.

Update Season VI - "A New Day Dawning" (March 2013 - April 2013)     
     Bushie succumbs to the deadly sin of sloth. Inks and Bushie argue incessantly. Bushie finally gets serious about his weight loss. Bushie begins to take short walks, but doesn't forget about his need for the occasional "brief relaxation." Bushie's family comes to visit for weeks on end.

Update Season VII: "The OK Corral" (May 2013 - Present)
     The newest season begins with an itinerary.

1Later renamed "Update Thread and Other Ramblings by BushOklahoma."
2Later renamed "As Bushie's World Turns."
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:56:15 AM »

So, should somebody edit the TV Tropes page so it links to this now?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 03:00:18 AM »

So, should somebody edit the TV Tropes page so it links to this now?

That would be excellent.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:05:25 AM »

Am I the only one who still doesn't get this morbid fascination for Bushie's sh*tty life?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:41:20 AM »

Masterful work, Xahar.  Lol @ Bushie for locking the thread during his travel time back to Jokelahoma.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »

Am I the only one who still doesn't get this morbid fascination for Bushie's sh*tty life?

It's like a car crash in slow motion where you can point out the imminent peril, shame the driver for getting drunk and not watching the road, and perhaps even try to reach out to correct the wheel. Sure the day to day is boring, but the themes and character arcs are compelling, and that day to day makes it feel real. You want so much for him to wise up and succeed, but he never fails to disappoint. If he did succeed, he'd have no more easy excuses for the rest of his problems, and as well it would fail as entertainment. It's very relatable. And, most importantly, it's free.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:28:53 AM »

I guess it's a French thing... Never opened a single "Update thread" before, not planning to.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:54 AM »

I guess it's a French thing... Never opened a single "Update thread" before, not planning to.

Well you did open this "Update thread."
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:52:11 AM »

I updated the TV Tropes page.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »

Going of topic here: If Update were to be published in a non-forum context it should be edited with most of the least interesting commentaries being weeded out - posters who don't get their own profile/voice in Update are not that interesting. Some of the most boring passages will also have to be trimmed or in some instances cut.

At this point I am not sure if Jeff considers Update a work of fiction (despite his use of terms like seasons and storyline) and whether he would be willing to let someone edit it. But would anyone on the forum be willing to do basic editing and put it together as one pdf-file?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:49:15 AM »

good work Xahar.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »

Reading back through these, it's really interesting how vastly different the earlier seasons are from the ones now and how much darker the aura surrounding the main character is today.

When we first meet Bushie, he is a likable guy with a stable job just looking for love, which is in stark contract to the current Bushie. I am reading back now to remember the better times.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »

Reading back through these, it's really interesting how vastly different the earlier seasons are from the ones now and how much darker the aura surrounding the main character is today.

When we first meet Bushie, he is a likable guy with a stable job just looking for love, which is in stark contract to the current Bushie. I am reading back now to remember the better times.

Yeah, you have hope the main character will have stable employment, get married, (real) kids, blah blah blah.....oh those were the days.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 11:39:56 AM »

Link to it?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »

Where do all the "How long will Update be locked" threads figure into all this? Also, hard to believe Update has only been around for 4 years. Much like my Droid, it's hard to imagine life without it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:05:35 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Website/Update
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »

Well done Xahar! I'm honored to be included.

The Update is the great American story of the 21st century and threads like this are important in chronicling it. Think of how much of the lost texts of antiquity would exist today if the Ancient Greeks had had our technology. We mustn't let it go to waste.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 01:28:42 PM »

Your work was the inspiration for this thread, Lief. I am but following in your footsteps.

Where do all the "How long will Update be locked" threads figure into all this? Also, hard to believe Update has only been around for 4 years. Much like my Droid, it's hard to imagine life without it.

I am going through Update looking to see if those threads form part of the narrative and where they belong. My post has been revised with the results of my research.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

I love it now the Xahar is on summer break.  Brava!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 02:36:35 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2013, 02:39:33 PM by VP Duke »

It's also important to note for any of you wondering if Bushie will move to Kenya/finish his CAD degree, he has been planning to lose weight for 4 years now. Just go back and eat the Tiffanye saga.

He also has an uncanny ability to say we are wrong and he is right because he has faith in God, and we of course turn out to be right. I don't think we have been proven wrong yet during this whole saga. That's why I don't believe he will do anything he's talking about.

So yeah, he will remain at his parents house, unemployed and eating crap for the foreseeable future while he talks about advancing his life.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 02:41:34 PM »

One of my favorite seasons started like this:

Just thought I would let everyone here know that I have a Valentine!!  The Valentine is of the female gender!! I'm going to be a whole lot more careful with this one, so I probably won't post about her a whole lot.  Her name is Susan, 25 years old, from good ole' Choctaw, Oklahoma.  She has no children, and never even has had a boyfriend before.  We're just starting out as friends and we're going to let the Lord lead it from there!!

It turns out she did have a boyfriend before, and he did post about her alot.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:07 PM »

The pregnancy scare was a classic plot arc. I am going to be a father/

Just so epic. I miss those seasons. The Update is such a dark story now of a man so deep into depression that he's clinging to African sponsor kids and some pipedream of moving to Kenya for happiness.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 02:59:30 PM »

The pregnancy scare was a classic plot arc. I am going to be a father/

I almost forgot about that.....!!!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »

May I ask why stop on page 29 on the "Update of you in-house Reverand" Xahar? It goes on for quit away after that. I didn't tune in for the earlier seasons so I don't want to miss anything good.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 03:20:41 PM »

This thread should be stickied and updated accordingly after each Update chapter concludes.

And has it really been three years since we've had a relationship in the storyline? I think we can all agree that that element needs to be reintroduced into the storyline once Bushie returns from Kenya.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies