Christie's Dance to Keep Up with SSM
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:52:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Christie's Dance to Keep Up with SSM
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christie's Dance to Keep Up with SSM  (Read 589 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:45:22 AM »

Article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:05:20 AM »

I don't understand.  If the initiative passes, then does that automatically mean that there's SSM in New Jersey or not?  Does Christie actually have any say in the matter if the initiative passes?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »

I don't understand.  If the initiative passes, then does that automatically mean that there's SSM in New Jersey or not?  Does Christie actually have any say in the matter if the initiative passes?

If it passes, there's automatically same-sex marriage. Christie wouldn't likely work too hard to stop it. Once he's re-elected and the Dems realize they can't really hurt him anymore, they'll likely agree to it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »

If it passes, there's automatically same-sex marriage. Christie wouldn't likely work too hard to stop it. Once he's re-elected and the Dems realize they can't really hurt him anymore, they'll likely agree to it.

OK, so then all he's saying is that if it passes, there's nothing he can really do about it that point, so it doesn't matter what he thinks anymore?  Not sure how that's really any different from most of the other 2016 GOP contenders like Paul and Rubio.  They say they're not interested anymore in pursuing a Federal Marriage Amendment, and think it should be left up to the states, but that they personally oppose SSM being legalized in their own states.

I presume something like that will be the position of whoever the 2016 GOP nominee is, whether it's Christie or someone else.  There will of course still be the Santorum wing of the party who'll back a Federal Marriage Amendment, but that wing usually doesn't win the presidential nomination.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure Christie has no power to stop a referendum for gay marriage. He basically wants to punt and take himself out of the equation, not unlike with the senate special, and say it's not up to me. It's the safest political move given how hard it is to please either national Republicans or New Jerseyans without alienating the other. But I disagree with this article calling him consistent exactly. On DOMA, he says the judgment of the democratically elected executive and legislature should be trusted on the issue of marriage. On NJ, he says the opposite. The only real consistency for Christie is doing whatever seems to carry the least risk for a presidential campaign.  As with Obama before he "evolved", I find it pretty hard to believe Christie privately opposes gay marriage in the way Santorum or even Romney did.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure Christie has no power to stop a referendum for gay marriage. He basically wants to punt and take himself out of the equation, not unlike with the senate special, and say it's not up to me. It's the safest political move given how hard it is to please either national Republicans or New Jerseyans without alienating the other. But I disagree with this article calling him consistent exactly. On DOMA, he says the judgment of the democratically elected executive and legislature should be trusted on the issue of marriage. On NJ, he says the opposite. The only real consistency for Christie is doing whatever seems to carry the least risk for a presidential campaign.  As with Obama before he "evolved", I find it pretty hard to believe Christie privately opposes gay marriage in the way Santorum or even Romney did.

What he's saying is he's against gay marriage, but if it becomes out of his hands, then there's nothing he can do. I suspect he's like me and doesn't have a strong stance on the issue one way or the other.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2013, 09:41:37 AM by A dog on every car, a car in every elevator »

He's not just saying "if it's out of his hands". Christie is saying "please take it out my hands" because he doesn't want to touch anything controversial. He called for a referendum (as a way to appease supporters of equality while keeping his hands clean-ish for a Republican primary). But in doing so, Christie said the issue is too important to be decided by elected government. Now, last week, he says the issue should be left up to elected government. As with calling the special election, it's a flip.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »

He's not just saying "if it's out of his hands". Christie is saying "please take it out my hands" because he doesn't want to touch anything controversial. He called for a referendum (as a way to appease supporters of equality while keeping his hands clean-ish for a Republican primary). But in doing so, Christie said the issue is too important to be decided by elected government. Now, last week, he says the issue should be left up to elected government. As with calling the special election, it's a flip.

Which is politically smart but not in an election because voters can see exposing ads. He wanted the people to decide so he didn't have to take responsibility and when it looked like SSM would become legal he decided it wasn't worth risking for the GOP primaries in 2016. Conservatives wouldn't like the idea of their candidate letting SSM slip through his fingers. A politician's base is the most important factor in winning future elections regardless of what well meaning moderates and independents stand for.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies