The New Republic is sour on O'Malley's political skills
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:11:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The New Republic is sour on O'Malley's political skills
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The New Republic is sour on O'Malley's political skills  (Read 967 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113671/martin-omalley-would-make-lousy-presidential-candidate#

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Yeah, he'd make a better Attorney General than President/VP.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »

A Democrat from Maryland is like a Democrat from Massachusetts. It wouldn't be accepted by anyone except for Democrats.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:46:29 AM »

A Democrat from Maryland is like a Democrat from Massachusetts. It wouldn't be accepted by anyone except for Democrats.

To be fair, out of the last two Presidential candidates from Massachusetts, the Democrat did better than the Republican. Wink
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:44:59 AM »

That article actually made me think he's fairly likely to be VP short list. Being dull isn't that big a drawback for it.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:20:08 AM »

In every presidential primary, there are statewide officeholders who make moves towards running and don't, or run and never make it out of single digits. I've always thought O'Malley's odds were better of being in that category than of winning the nomination.

It wouldn't surprise me if he opts to run for Senate in 2016, if Mikulski decides not to run for a sixth term at eighty.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »

That article actually made me think he's fairly likely to be VP short list. Being dull isn't that big a drawback for it.

Especially for Hillary, who is likely to seek someone younger who is ready for the presidency and won't draw too much attention to himself. I don't like comparisons, but O'Malley seems to be the Democratic equivalent to Tim Pawlenty.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »

To be fair, out of the last two Presidential candidates from Massachusetts, the Democrat did better than the Republican. Wink

In terms of the margin of victory and EV yes but Romney had a higher vote total than Kerry and ran against a tougher incumbent. Either way, I'm not sure what your point is. The Bush campaign hounded Kerry as a Massachusetts liberal while Obama made no criticisms of Romney being from Massachusetts. The fact that Kerry was a Massachusetts liberal hurt him more than Romney was hurt because of his home state regardless of what the results were. You have to actually look at who was influenced by the single fact of each candidate being from Massachusetts.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:36:32 PM »

Especially for Hillary, who is likely to seek someone younger who is ready for the presidency and won't draw too much attention to himself. I don't like comparisons, but O'Malley seems to be the Democratic equivalent to Tim Pawlenty.

I was literally about to suggest the same thing.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:04:53 PM »

People really need to stop thinking of Massachusetts as some kind of exotic, ultra-liberal land and actually visit it sometime.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43:32 PM »

People really need to stop thinking of Massachusetts as some kind of exotic, ultra-liberal land and actually visit it sometime.

Agreed, if anything MD is more stereotypically "liberal".
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:05 AM »

I was literally about to suggest the same thing.

Yes, I agree.  He's broadly acceptable to the major constituencies within the party and on paper he looks great.  But if he was our nominee I would remind myself that he's good on the issues and then take some NoDoz to get through the campaign.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 03:20:31 AM »

Who?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

I also have a feeling that if Hillary runs O'Malley could be a "Bill Bradley to her Al Gore" circa 2000.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »

I also have a feeling that if Hillary runs O'Malley could be a "Bill Bradley to her Al Gore" circa 2000.

I don't know who would bother funding him.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »

Stereotypes are made for a reason. Are you suggesting it's a conservative paradise? I highly doubt that.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »

Stereotypes are made for a reason. Are you suggesting it's a conservative paradise? I highly doubt that.

Why does it have to be one or the other?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »

Yeah, it'd be like a Republican from Texas. Clearly we will never have one of those as President.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies