I'm going to see Howard Dean!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:01:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  I'm going to see Howard Dean!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I'm going to see Howard Dean!  (Read 2879 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:29:53 AM »

Yep, Howard Dean is coming to Jackson Tuesday to speak at a dinner, am I'm going!  woot!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »

You're going to see Howard Dean? About what?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 11:30:07 AM »

Yep, Howard Dean is coming to Jackson Tuesday to speak at a dinner, am I'm going!  woot!

Tell him I said he has to button-it on vote losing issues

Dave
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 12:17:01 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2005, 06:58:02 PM by nickshepDEM »

Dean is already impressing me as the DNC chair.  Taking the fight to the GOP's backyard.  I love it.  Plus, since Dean has taken over the DNC, memberships are up 60% and hits at the DNC website are up over 120%.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 05:33:24 PM »

Well he's making due on his comments to run a 50-state operation.

Enjoy it, it's about the only time you're gonna see a national Democrat down there.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 05:35:45 PM »

Enjoy it, it's about the only time you're gonna see a national Democrat down there.

I think it's a very good thing that we ARE in fact running a "50-state operation".  Grassroots is the way to go!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 06:53:53 PM »

Dean, is already impressing me as the DNC chair.  Taking the fight to the GOP's backyard.  I love it.  Plus, since Dean has taken over the DNC, memberships are up 60% and hits at the DNC website are up over 120%.
I believe the second one right away...the first one...I dunno.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 06:54:39 PM »

Dean, is already impressing me as the DNC chair.  Taking the fight to the GOP's backyard.  I love it.  Plus, since Dean has taken over the DNC, memberships are up 60% and hits at the DNC website are up over 120%.

What do you mean?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 07:02:18 PM »

What do you mean?
Memberships up 60%? Can ye proive that?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 07:12:15 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2005, 07:14:01 PM by nickshepDEM »

The Dean Effect: Revving Up Online Activism at Democrats.org

Washington, D.C. – Democrats.org, the online home of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), has experienced 120% jump in the number of daily visitors since Governor Howard Dean was elected Democratic Party Chairman this past weekend. Democrats from all 50 states have signed on to Dean’s plan for the Party, and are offering their own ideas.

The huge spike in interest from Democrats across the country was matched by an increase in new members — the rate of new people joining the Democratic Party online has jumped by over 60% since Governor Dean took office. These dramatic results reflect Governor Dean's strength in the grassroots community and his ability to bring new people into the political process.

http://www.democrats.org/news/200502180001.html
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 09:20:44 PM »

I think it's a very good thing that we ARE in fact running a "50-state operation".  Grassroots is the way to go!

We'll see. I'm glad to see stuff like this, although I don't know if he'd do this in 2008, when they're still gonna spend every dime in Ohio or Florida.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 10:04:12 PM »

Keystone Phil - Are you really seeing Howard Dean?

Harry - Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaghhhhh!
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 10:10:05 PM »

Say hi to our glorious Party Chairman for me.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 02:02:53 AM »

Washington, D.C. – Democrats.org, the online home of the Democratic National Committee (DNC), has experienced 120% jump in the number of daily visitors since Governor Howard Dean was elected Democratic Party Chairman this past weekend. Democrats from all 50 states have signed on to Dean’s plan for the Party, and are offering their own ideas.

The huge spike in interest from Democrats across the country was matched by an increase in new members — the rate of new people joining the Democratic Party online has jumped by over 60% since Governor Dean took office. These dramatic results reflect Governor Dean's strength in the grassroots community and his ability to bring new people into the political process.

Just the hard core Deaniacs jumping on board for their leader. It won't last.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 02:09:17 AM »

Just the hard core Deaniacs jumping on board for their leader. It won't last.

Sure, it will.  I think Dean is gonna' be great for recruiting younger voters.  The only problem is, can he get them to the polls?
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »

I hated Dean in the primary, I liked him in the DNC race because he wasnt a Washington insider. I like what he is doing so far as Chairman. Hes running a 50 state organization, and hes trying to give funds to State wide funds rather than national ones.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2005, 03:35:33 PM »

Dean is a liability, and if he can't control hiself, he could cause permanent dmaage to the party.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2005, 04:02:11 PM »

Dean is a liability, and if he can't control hiself, he could cause permanent dmaage to the party.

I agree.  I like Dean and supported him for chair, but he does need to tone it down a little.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2005, 07:36:26 PM »

Yep, Dean is the man the Democrats need to win over red-staters. "I hate Republicans" was such a great thing to say when you need to reach out to the other side.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2005, 08:03:35 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2005, 08:05:46 PM by nickshepDEM »

Yep, Dean is the man the Democrats need to win over red-staters. "I hate Republicans" was such a great thing to say when you need to reach out to the other side.

There has been 1,000 times worst things said by both sides.  Plus, your taking his comment out of context.  Right after he made that comment he went on to commend the Republicans orginization and discipline.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 11:38:46 PM »

I got to see him speak back in October, I think.  Sounded like he had some big ideas for the party.

Echoing Bob's comments, however...even though he was preaching to the choir [college campus in a town that voted 80% for Kerry the next month]...the level of his Republican-hate throughout his speech was a bit extreme.

"There are no moderate Republicans."
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »

If Dean can invigorate state Democratic parties, then that's all fair and well (some good should come out of it) - but I have always had reservations about Howard and I always will; most notabbly, his 'hateful' rhetoric ('I hate Republicans') and his anti-Iraq stance, which perceived him as weak on national security. National security remains to a large extent the Achilles heel of the Democratic Party

However, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens in the mid-terms. I'm sure whoever the party Chair is or isn't won't necessarily have an impact on Democratic fortunes per se because that will depend on the strenths, and weaknesses, and profiles of our gubnatorial, senatorial and congressional candidates

I just don't want Dean to become a liabilityfor the Democratic Party

Whether liberals like it or not, the Democratic Party needs to strengthen its base among moderates and reach out to moderate conservatives. At this point in time, the numbers of those who identify themselves as Democrats and Republicans are roughly the same (i.e. circa 37%). Something tells me that many of those Republicans are former Democrats and the Democratic Party needs to address why they are no longer Democrats (heck, when 26 of the 28 states with the lowest income per capita voted for Bush and thus against their own economic interests then somethings gotta be wrong) - but I stress that does NOT mean appeasing the 'Dixiecrats' - and its social issues, rather than economic ones, that have primarily contributed to that shift in political allegiance

Dave
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 08:37:59 AM »

That's not a wise thing to say...especially if he had meant it, which I very much doubt. Bound to be taken out of context (whatever the context was?) I mean, that's just daft.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 09:33:12 AM »

Not daft.  Dean isn't daft.  Nothing about Dean is daft.  Dean is clever, enthusiastic, mean-spirited, arrogant, impatient, and stubborn.  But daft he isn't.  Howard Dean often stated that he wanted to turn the party chairman's position into a higher-profile position.  It seems he is succeeding.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 09:40:14 AM »

Not daft.  Dean isn't daft.  Nothing about Dean is daft.  Dean is clever, enthusiastic, mean-spirited, arrogant, impatient, and stubborn.  But daft he isn't.  Howard Dean often stated that he wanted to turn the party chairman's position into a higher-profile position.  It seems he is succeeding.
Well, okay.
If he wanted to run for any position where he ever needed to win the votes of swing voters again, this would have been daft. But maybe he doesn't.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies