2008 ... just for fun
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:58:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 ... just for fun
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 ... just for fun  (Read 5984 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2004, 07:08:05 AM »

Warning Republicans will see this as biased, but I genuinely don’t (Well maybe alittle)…

Bush won in 2004… by a modest, but not insignificant or dubious margin… in 2005 spending cuts where forced on Bush spending by the GOP House and the divided senate (Cheney effectively giving the GOP a precious hold over the upper house) but these where resented by many voters added to this Bush pushed through a further tax cut this time aimed more directly at the middle classes… however the deficit is still there and many are concerned about it… the leader of the Democrats in the Senate Chris Dodd is quick to exploit popular dissatisfaction with the republican administration, in the house Pelosi can do little as many on the right lead by the charismatic congressman Harold Ford  and Ben Chandler are forcing a more moderate agenda upon her, with this moderate agenda the “blue dogs” effectively build a coalition in the house of moderate republicans and moderate and moderately liberal democrats and are better able to obstructed the Presidents plans… Both Ford and Dodd become regular guests on the news networks and popular interview shows while Pelosi becomes more and more marginalised… the midterms role around in November 2006… Dodd has launched a massive campaign to raise cash and polls show public sentiment running the DNC’s way… the senate which has sat on a razor’s edge for two years since Dem gains in the 2004 senate races now swings to the Dems… Democrats hold in tough open contests in West Virginia (Dem pro-lifer congressman Nick Rahall winning), Wisconsin and California (Sanchez winning) while in Mississippi (Moore), Missouri, Tennessee (Ford), Arizona and Indiana the Dems make gains… in the house the GOP majority narrows to 12 and thanks to this Pelosi is largely able to hang on to her precarious but somewhat strengthened position as minority leader… By now Bush’s presidency seems very similar to a more conservative version of Nixon’s without the Watergate… there has been no solid economic recovery and many view it as pretty mediocre, conservatives worry about the deficit and the religious right worry about Bush’s real commitment to their goals added to this the Democratic control over congress is hampering any passage of legislation that could cement the base behind Bush again and help unite the Republican party going into the Primary season…

The Religious right and many on the right of the GOP including attorney general John Ashcroft support the campaign of Rick Santorum… the moderate conservatives largely support the campaign of former majority leader Bill Frist… initially Santorum makes gains on Frist painting him as a liberal republican and too soft and leftwing on a range of issues… however Frist soon retools his campaign and by running more to the right is able to marginalise Santorum and paint him as a radical… despite upsetting Frist in South Carolina and a number of other southern contests Santorum is soundly defeated by Frist… At the GOP convention in Seattle Frist moves to fill the gaps in his executive experience and boost his appeal amougst moderate voters.. his first choice is former CO governor Bill Owens however Owens declines, Frist then turns to George Pataki the moderate former NY governor who accepts the Vp spot on the ticket… despite the shows of republican unity in Seattle the religious right and right of the GOP are disappointed in the selection of Frist as the Party’s standard bearer and even more so at the choice of the moderate Pataki over the more conservative Santorum who many of the GOP right had hoped would have been chosen to produce a unity ticket. Meanwhile PA Governor Ed Rendell wins the Democratic nomination after a tougher fight than Frist and selects the young southern senator (has been for only two years, however he has been in the house since 1998) as his VP in what many see as a surprising and risky move…

The economy is growing however this growth is slow and the world’s economy more generally is beginning to slow down yet again… higher taxes have been brought in, in many states, to make up for the shortfall in government spending while at the same time the cuts in many social programs introduced by Bush have been very unpopular as this is now being exacerbated by the first wave of “baby boomers” retiring, the campaign is further shaken up by the appearance of Jesse Ventura as an independent campaigning on a platform not dissimilar to that of Ross Perot in 92 with former VT sn Jim Jeffords as his VP (maybe a stretch but fun!)…

The polls in late September now stand at…

Frist/ Pataki = 40%  

Rendell/ Ford = 47%    

Jesse Ventura/ Jim Jeffords =  9%    

Undecided = 4%
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 09:32:17 AM »

Edwards is the nominee!  But if he's not...

I'll have to consider Jesse.  I'll get back to you later.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 09:36:28 AM »

I wonder who Supersoulty will vote for.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 11:17:58 AM »

Frist/Pataki!!!!!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 12:15:55 PM »

Seems as good as it could possibly get for a moderate Republican...
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 12:31:04 PM »

Edwards/Ford

defeats

Frist/someone

rather easily, like this

Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 12:55:56 PM »

I really don't like any of those candidates.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »

Pataki is an anti-middle class anti-public school joke.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 01:17:41 PM »

I voted for Jesse Ventura, since NY wouldn't be a swing state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 01:18:32 PM »

Hate to post 3 times in a row here...but, Pataki will LOSE his Governor's seat if he runs in 2006.  If Spitzer is the Dem, he could lose by over 15%.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 01:18:40 PM »

IMHO Edwards/Bayh vs McCain/Frist would be a more realistic scenario, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, looking at the choices above I'll have to go for Jesse Ventura. Grin
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 01:27:42 PM »

Hate to post 3 times in a row here...but, Pataki will LOSE his Governor's seat if he runs in 2006.  If Spitzer is the Dem, he could lose by over 15%.

Thats one reason i really dont see him running in 2006... open race for the governorship in NY... Spitzer takes it in a walk! IMHO
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 07:09:58 PM »

I want Rice/Giuliani in 2008.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 07:36:36 PM »

A black woman would never survive a GOP primary.  Probably wouldn't survive a Dem primary either for that matter.  But she would get crushed in the southern primaries.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 10:49:07 PM »

A black woman would never survive a GOP primary.  Probably wouldn't survive a Dem primary either for that matter.  But she would get crushed in the southern primaries.

Besides, this entire business surrounding the 9/11 commission isn't reflecting well on her at all, no matter how the media try to spin it. Questions surrounding her competence (or supposed lack thereof) won't go away quite so easily.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 11:38:31 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2004, 11:40:11 AM by Al »

Although "Senator Rahall" sounds good, I'm not sure that Byrd will leave the Senate until he dies...
I can see Chandler being big in the House Dems though... Patton being unable to keep it zipped (and costing Chandler the KY Governership) may actually help the Dems in the long run...
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2005, 09:24:31 PM »

I don't see where you get 2006 as a Dem pick-up in the AZ Senate race.  Kyl got a larger percentage of the vote in 2000 than McCain.  Pederson doesn't have that much money.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 03:35:02 AM »

It was good until Pelosi accomodated the moderates.  Then you lost me.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 07:19:28 PM »

I really don't like any of those candidates.
Ronald Reagan
Spl2
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 07:56:58 PM »

Ted Stevens/Thad Cochran(GOP) vs. Chris Dodd/Russell Feingold(DEM)  [these 2 teams r the top ppl who agree with me in the Senate and the lowest ppl who agree with me in the Senate]  [This isn't very likely] haha

Stevens - 277 (He got stronger support in the northwest than Bush)
Dodd - 261 (He got stronger support in the midwest because of Feingold than Kerry)
Ameriplan
WilliamSargent
Faroe Islands

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »

Edwards/Ford

defeats

Frist/someone

rather easily, like this

Not Montana?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »