are smokers 'cool?'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:05:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  are smokers 'cool?'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: are smokers 'cool?'  (Read 6007 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

loser
loser
loser
loser
Of course not. They're invariably poors.
lol
Smokers seem to be completely unaware of how much they reek to non-smokers.  My smoker friends deny it, but I can smell them walking up from around the corner every time.
loser
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »

If you think Lung cancer, and smelling like sh**t is cool, then absolutley.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2013, 03:39:03 PM by Communists For McCain »

Smokers seem to be completely unaware of how much they reek to non-smokers.  My smoker friends deny it, but I can smell them walking up from around the corner every time.

Just like anti-smoking propagandists seem to be completely unaware about how totally douchey and annoying they are to everyone around them.  Much like militarist vegans really.

[/person who doesn't smoke and doesn't think it's a good idea]
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »

Smokers seem to be completely unaware of how much they reek to non-smokers.  My smoker friends deny it, but I can smell them walking up from around the corner every time.

Just like anti-smoking propagandists seem to be completely unaware about how totally douchey and annoying they are to everyone around them.  Much like militarist vegans really.

[/person who doesn't smoke and doesn't think it's a good idea]
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »

when did harry get married?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:46 PM »

Harry is married. Oh my.

Well, congrats!
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »

Just so you guys know I decided to quit smoking because some guy in Mississippi said I smelled bad.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »

Of course smoking is cool. No one sane would deny that.

But dying of painful cancer caused by smoking is also uncool. No one sane would deny that either.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »

Depends on what they're smoking.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 01:25:46 PM »

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 09:28:47 PM »

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 07:59:43 AM by HockeyDude »

I've nothing against smokers, and I indulge in the occasional cigarette/cigar.  They've been pushed away far enough that I think we can stop.  I mean, you can't even smoke in a bar anymore in a lot of places!  It's a bar!  I didn't think you were going for your health.  I GET it, but maybe a few bars should be allowed to cater to smokers if they please.  Furthermore, at this point, who the hell DOESN'T know smoking is bad?  Why is it constantly assumed in society that it's everyone's goal to live as long as possible?  Maybe a lot of us are okay with chopping off a couple years at the end so I can spend 75 or so having a cigarette when I feel like one.  Main point is, smokers know full well what they're doing is not good for them, and who the [Inks] are you to tell them not to?  Yes, protect the non-smoker from second-hand smoke... but I draw a deep line in the sand once you go past that. 

In the entire smoking debate, the only people I truly can't stand are these self-righteous little p*ssies

They're so obviously a wing of private health insurance, they don't give two craps about the people who suffer from smoking-related illness, and their dumb commercials are very poorly staged.  

Overall, when you think about it, smoking became uncool at the height of tobacco conglomerate evils.  Now, smoking is quite clearly, at least in some part, a direct rebellion against uppity morality soldiers who love passing judgment on those who would do different than them.  So yes, smoking is cool. 
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »

If the possibility of getting lung cancer is cool...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

I am.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »

Smoking is cool. Lung cancer, emphysema, yellow teeth, looking ten years older than your actual age, and that repugnant odor that clings to smokers and infects everything that they spend a significant time around, on the other hand, are not.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 11:36:22 AM »

Now, smoking is quite clearly, at least in some part, a direct rebellion against uppity morality soldiers who love passing judgment on those who would do different than them.  So yes, smoking is cool. 

So... dropping out of high school is "cool"?  Playing with razor blades in the middle of the street is "cool"?  Eating like Bushie is "cool"?  Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is "cool"?

Okay, that last one does have some daredevil flair, I can't deny.  But really, the idea that it's cool to harm yourself and others because you "don't like being told what to do" is pretty baffling and infantile.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »

Yeah, they're uncool, and annoying if you're the only non-smoker in a group of friends and always get asked to 'look after our stuff' (not bitter) hence why I support smoking bans. Although I'm not an anti-smoking Nazi per-se.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »

Now, smoking is quite clearly, at least in some part, a direct rebellion against uppity morality soldiers who love passing judgment on those who would do different than them.  So yes, smoking is cool. 

So... dropping out of high school is "cool"?  Playing with razor blades in the middle of the street is "cool"?  Eating like Bushie is "cool"?  Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is "cool"?

Okay, that last one does have some daredevil flair, I can't deny.  But really, the idea that it's cool to harm yourself and others because you "don't like being told what to do" is pretty baffling and infantile.

All these things are just stupid (well, maybe the diet compares) and they don't have the flair of smoking, they didn't obtain that societal taboo that smoking did. 

And how the hell am I harming others?  I don't smoke in the house, nor am I allowed to smoke anywhere indoors.  And if I want to harm myself, that's my business... and if I think it's cool, then I think it's cool. 

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

Think you'll find that there's a bit of a social taboo on playing with razor blades in the middle of the street.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »

As an aside, this sketch may be of amusement in light of this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vWHNwmzf1o

Please be aware that this may be upsetting to someone of a squeamish or sensitive disposition, and would unlikely be appropriate to watch in any workplace.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

I suppose what all you fellows are missing is that it is not so much smoking which is cool, but your feeble clinging-to-life which is uncool.  You seem to think you're going to live forever.  Better just live it up while you can.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:32 PM »

A lot of people who I think are cool smoke, but that certainly isn't why I think they're cool.  I don't smoke anymore, and I think its a terrible idea to do so, but I'm not a dick about it because that doesn't help anyone.

Yeah, this makes sense.  There's a big difference between holding forth on the badness of smoking/Big Tobacco in a political forum such as this, and haranguing your friends (except insofar as to politely request that you don't get stuck with secondhand smoke, of course).  Tact is important.

Congrats on quitting, btw. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »

Depends what they're smoking.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »

No.  And sorry I ever started and have now pretty much quit except when I plastered.  I was a pack a day when I started on here.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2013, 12:35:14 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 12:39:10 AM by Invader »

I've met quite a few entertaining people in tobacco shops.  Though, they were mainly cigar and pipe smokers. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies