are smokers 'cool?' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:48:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  are smokers 'cool?' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ....
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: are smokers 'cool?'  (Read 6090 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 09, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
« edited: July 09, 2013, 07:59:43 AM by HockeyDude »

I've nothing against smokers, and I indulge in the occasional cigarette/cigar.  They've been pushed away far enough that I think we can stop.  I mean, you can't even smoke in a bar anymore in a lot of places!  It's a bar!  I didn't think you were going for your health.  I GET it, but maybe a few bars should be allowed to cater to smokers if they please.  Furthermore, at this point, who the hell DOESN'T know smoking is bad?  Why is it constantly assumed in society that it's everyone's goal to live as long as possible?  Maybe a lot of us are okay with chopping off a couple years at the end so I can spend 75 or so having a cigarette when I feel like one.  Main point is, smokers know full well what they're doing is not good for them, and who the [Inks] are you to tell them not to?  Yes, protect the non-smoker from second-hand smoke... but I draw a deep line in the sand once you go past that. 

In the entire smoking debate, the only people I truly can't stand are these self-righteous little p*ssies

They're so obviously a wing of private health insurance, they don't give two craps about the people who suffer from smoking-related illness, and their dumb commercials are very poorly staged.  

Overall, when you think about it, smoking became uncool at the height of tobacco conglomerate evils.  Now, smoking is quite clearly, at least in some part, a direct rebellion against uppity morality soldiers who love passing judgment on those who would do different than them.  So yes, smoking is cool. 
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:20:23 PM »

Now, smoking is quite clearly, at least in some part, a direct rebellion against uppity morality soldiers who love passing judgment on those who would do different than them.  So yes, smoking is cool. 

So... dropping out of high school is "cool"?  Playing with razor blades in the middle of the street is "cool"?  Eating like Bushie is "cool"?  Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is "cool"?

Okay, that last one does have some daredevil flair, I can't deny.  But really, the idea that it's cool to harm yourself and others because you "don't like being told what to do" is pretty baffling and infantile.

All these things are just stupid (well, maybe the diet compares) and they don't have the flair of smoking, they didn't obtain that societal taboo that smoking did. 

And how the hell am I harming others?  I don't smoke in the house, nor am I allowed to smoke anywhere indoors.  And if I want to harm myself, that's my business... and if I think it's cool, then I think it's cool. 

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies