In only 50 minutes....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:04:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  In only 50 minutes....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In only 50 minutes....  (Read 1808 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2005, 02:36:48 PM »

How did Ethelberth go from giving KEmperor his first preference to not preferencing him at all in just 50 minutes.

Hmm....

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »

Yes, makes me suspicious that someone is trying to scare away my voters.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 02:42:02 PM »

Maybe he found out about your

BLUE AVATAR

*gasp*
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:45:28 PM »

Look can we all hold the finger pointing and the witch burning until all the votes are counted?

Ethelberth's first language isn't english (I'm not even sure if it's his second language) and it's quite possible that he misunderstood.

Now there are several votes that some people would call invalid (and they're cast for all sorts of different candidates). Let's all wait until all the votes are cast and counted before we get all legal about everything.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 02:50:53 PM »

Ethelberth's first language isn't english (I'm not even sure if it's his second language) and it's quite possible that he misunderstood.

Misunderstood what exactly?  My name hardly sounds or looks like yours.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »

How should I know?

Point is, let's just wait until the whole voting thing is done before the traditional pointing of fingers and lynching of people pointing different fingers at different people.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 03:12:52 PM »

I think we need to hear his official reasoning on the way he did.  If he can show us that the first ballot was a mistake based on the language barrier or something, I say we count the second ballot.  If there was no misunderstanding and he simply changed his mind, then I guess the vote is invalid.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2005, 03:18:59 PM »

I think we need to hear his official reasoning on the way he did.  If he can show us that the first ballot was a mistake based on the language barrier or something, I say we count the second ballot.  If there was no misunderstanding and he simply changed his mind, then I guess the vote is invalid.

That is quite idiotic.  The rules say you CANNOT change your vote.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 03:21:31 PM »

The first ballot was totally unclear, so he was asked to clarify.  One could possibly try to say that he meant Mas as his second preference and invalidate it if Mas wasn't listed as the second preference on the clarified ballot.  There's so many possibilites; the only solutions are to
a. throw out the vote, or
b. count the second, clarified, vote
But before we decide what to do, we need an explanation from Ethelberth.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 03:22:41 PM »

King may be about to lose his status as the holder of the Peter Bell Assclown Award. Apparently a former winner just can't get enough of it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

The first ballot was totally unclear, so he was asked to clarify.  One could possibly try to say that he meant Mas as his second preference and invalidate it if Mas wasn't listed as the second preference on the clarified ballot.  There's so many possibilites; the only solutions are to

What about the fact that he voted for me, then changed his vote to Al, with a second preference of Lewis?  You don't consider that a change of vote(which is quite clearly against the rules)?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2005, 03:29:53 PM »

What about the fact that he voted for me, then changed his vote to Al, with a second preference of Lewis?  You don't consider that a change of vote(which is quite clearly against the rules)?
The fact is that he listed Mas as his second preference (without denoting write-in or whatever) and didn't label the ballot...so we don't know what he was meaning...you assume president, but you can't be sure (and I'm sure he did mean president, but just because it seems obvious doesn't make it legal and binding).  Anyway, we need to get his testimony.  If he shows that he meant to vote for kemperor, then he did in fact change his vote, and the vote will be nullifieid....but it's a really cloudy situation.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »

The Sun is shining quite brightly where I am, Harry.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2005, 03:31:58 PM »

It doesn't matter what his reason was, goddammit.  If I have a good reason for driving 90 miles an hour, I still get a ticket.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2005, 03:33:13 PM »

Where is Ethelberth registered?  If it's District 2, I think that the ambiguity comes from the fact that we don't know whether his initial vote was for Senate or for President or what.  Given that he first-preferenced a presidential ticket and then second-preferenced a senate candidate, that vote made no sense at all.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 03:46:14 PM »

I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing you're just being an ass.

It doesn't matter what his reason was, goddammit.  If I have a good reason for driving 90 miles an hour, I still get a ticket.
If you were taking a dying person to the hospital, you wouldn't get it a ticket.

Anyhow, since Ethelberth's first ballot was nonsensical, he was asked by the Acting SOFA to clear up what he meant, and he did.  If he gives an indication that he meant to change his vote, then it should be invalidated; but if it was an honest mistake caused by the language barrier or what not, we should consider that he spoiled his first ballot, asked for a new one, and casted his vote correctly on the second try.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 03:49:26 PM »

I have no idea what that means, but I'm guessing you're just being an ass.

You made a reference to it being cloudy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »

WTF, do we have Democrats standing up for this BS again.  Two elections in a row, Democrats play these games.  Not funny anymore, play by the rules, or lets not even have them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 03:56:25 PM »

WTF, do we have Democrats standing up for this BS again.  Two elections in a row, Democrats play these games.  Not funny anymore, play by the rules, or lets not even have them.
what are you talking about?  I'm trying not to hastily disenfranchise anyone.  If Ethelberth did change his vote, the vote'll be thrown out...
And I have no idea why you're referencing the last election...the only challengable case would be over Democratic Hawk's vote, and I nor anyone else challenged it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »

Harry, your reasoning is idiotic.  As administer of the election, I am discounting the vote.  This can be taken to court if necessary.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »

Harry, your reasoning is idiotic.  As administer of the election, I am discounting the vote.  This can be taken to court if necessary.
so I guess I have no authority to do anything then...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005, 04:07:52 PM »

As Attorney General, you can file a suit on behalf of the voter.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »

that's up to him if he wants, but it's really crappy of you to discount his vote after you asked him to clarify, and he did.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »

that's up to him if he wants, but it's really crappy of you to discount his vote after you asked him to clarify, and he did.

How did he clarify?  How does listing two totalyy different candidates clarify a ballot that listed neither candidate?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 04:12:25 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2005, 04:27:34 PM by Secretary King »

He clarified by completely changing who he voted for?  What I meant by clarify was to EXPLAIN the vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies