Out of these swing-state Senators, who's most likely to be Hillary's VP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:11:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Out of these swing-state Senators, who's most likely to be Hillary's VP?
Bennet (Colorado)
Udall (Colorado)
Nelson (Florida)
Stabenow (Michigan)
Franken (Minnesota)
Klobuchar (Minnesota)
McCaskill (Missouri)
Reid (Nevada)
Shaheen (New Hampshire)
Heinrich (New Mexico)
Udall (New Mexico)
Hagan (North Carolina)
Brown (Ohio)
Casey (Pennsylvania)
Kaine (Virginia)
Warner (Virginia)
Baldwin (Wisconsin)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Out of these swing-state Senators, who's most likely to be Hillary's VP?  (Read 1768 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »

(I originally was only going to include 7, but decided to throw them all, and make it multiple-choice)

Bennet (Colorado)

Udall (Colorado)

Nelson (Florida)

Stabenow (Michigan)

Franken (Minnesota)

Klobuchar (Minnesota)

McCaskill (Missouri)

Reid (Nevada)

Shaheen (New Hampshire)

Heinrich (New Mexico)

Udall (New Mexico)

Hagan (North Carolina)

Brown (Ohio)

Casey (Pennsylvania)

Kaine (Virginia)

Warner (Virginia)

Baldwin (Wisconsin)

Of course, there's no rule saying the Democratic nominee has to pick a Senator (though they almost always do).

And it definitely doesn't need to be someone from a swing state (see Biden, Palin, Lieberman, Cheney)

There's also a chance that Hillary isn't the Democratic nominee.

But, if Hillary is the nominee, and she picks a Senator from a swing-state, which of these are the most likely?
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:46:44 AM »

It's gotta be Warner. I realize the love for Brown on here, but both Hillary and national Democrats realize that an Ohioan progressive is much more useful in the Senate than having him sit on his bum as vice president. Successful, legitimate progressives in swing states are rare enough as it is. Also, no way in hell does Hillary go with an all female ticket.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:33:08 AM »

Heinrich and Kaine are the only ones on this list that come close to being possible, Kaine much more so than Heinrich.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »

I like the idea of starting with a complete list, and narrowing options from there.

It's unlikely to be a woman. That excludes Stabenow, Klobuchar, McCaskill, Shaheen, Hagan and Baldwin.

There's a likely age cutoff. That excludes Tom Udall, Mark Udall, Harry Reid, Al Franken and Bill Nelson, all of whom will be elderly in 2016. If they aren't already.

There's no obvious reason to exclude Bennett. He has education bona fides, is relative young and provides geographic diversity.

Heinrich has similar advantages.

Brown comes from a more important swing state. He may be older than the ideal veep, but the base should like him. He may be caricatured, and he was first elected to public office in 1974.

Bob Casey is Pro-Life. So it's not going to be him.

Either Virginian would be a solid pick. Warner's more popular in a crucial swing state, Kaine is a bit younger and fluent in Spanish, but I honestly don't see Hillary picking a Veep who was a prominent Obama supporter in 2008.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:34:48 AM »

Either Virginian would be a solid pick. Warner's more popular in a crucial swing state, Kaine is a bit younger and fluent in Spanish, but I honestly don't see Hillary picking a Veep who was a prominent Obama supporter in 2008.

Clinton/Lieberman 2016? Wink
Governor Zeeland
GovernorZeeland
Rookie
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

I would say Tim Kaine, an actual moderate who certainly have the experience to be president.  I think she might pick an incumbent second term governor, due to the folksy touch as well as having a "D.C. outsider" on the ticket.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

I don't see why Hillary would never choose another woman!

I like Brown, I like Heinrich (his name is almost like mine: Henrique) and I'd be a great supporter of Warner. Udall (CO) is nice but Hickenlooper would be better if she wants a guy from Colorado Smiley
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »

Tim Kaine would help in the crucial state of Virginia and they compensate each other well.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »

Clinton/Lieberman 2016? Wink
I meant the primary.

But I could see Crist as a contender, if she wants to build a campaign around Republican excesses.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

When the boogeyman goes to sleep at night, he checks under his bed for Claire McCaskill's official congressional photo

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 08:32:05 PM »

I like Brown or Casey the most.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »

She will probable never choose an all-female ticket, but I think Hagan would be the best choice because it would make it much easier to win NC's 15 electoral votes.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

When was the last time a president was elected after choosing a swing-state senator? Romney didn't even win Ryan's congressional district. (And Kerry lost North Carolina, and Dole lost New York...) It doesn't work like everyone here seems to think it does. I guess Warner and Kaine are the most likely from the list, but less so because Virginia is (was?) a swing state but because they're both picks that would satisfy Hillary's likely actual priority that her VP pick does no harm. I agree if Hillary is in a very tight race with a big gender gap she's extremely unlikely to pick a female, but does everyone saying she could never pick a woman think that still applies if she's up by 5-10 points with 2 months to go? It's not all that unlikely a scenario.
JRP1994

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:13:59 AM »

Well, first of all: Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, and New Mexico are not swing states.

Secondly, out of that group, I'd say either Nelson (FL), Kaine (VA), or Warner (VA). My choice would be Warner.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »

I agree if Hillary is in a very tight race with a big gender gap she's extremely unlikely to pick a female, but does everyone saying she could never pick a woman think that still applies if she's up by 5-10 points with 2 months to go? It's not all that unlikely a scenario.

I agree with you. I consider the possibility for Hillary picking a woman being somewhere around 30-40%. So the "never" talk is just too out there. If you wanna make history, why not go all the way?

It's not like you're offering two extreme right religious nuts, or a lesbian for president and a gay guy for VP. Tongue Not that there's anything wrong with a lesbian/gay ticket, I just don't think more than 50% of American voters are ready for it yet. Maybe in 2020 or 2024. Smiley I think we might have a gay (or lesbian) VP in 2020 actually.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »

Klobuchar, Kaine, and Baldwin.

Klobuchar would be the best dark horse of the bunch. I don't think Kaine would be a smart choice at all, but I am not entirely shocked if he's picked. As for Baldwin, that's who I hope is picked, and would rally the base.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »

Heinrich would be plausible if Martinez is on the Republican ticket, in order to secure New Mexico. 
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »

I doubt Hillary would pick a woman.  Once upon a time, I'd have considered that silly, but given the gender gap and its associated issues, the Democrats may well choose to double down on that issue and pick a woman.

I believe that Sherrod Brown is the most likely pick for VP.  Period.  Ohio is the closest of the swing states and is more likely to switch to the GOP than Virginia, based on demographic trends.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 02:19:15 AM »

Good thread question.  If Hillary runs, she stands good chances to win the general no matter who she picks as VP, just because of the demographics and her overall popularity.  But she still needs a VP, of course.  I think for the most part that Mister Mets above is right.  But I don't think Hillary would have qualms about picking Kaine just because he supported Obama in 2008.  If he helps, he helps, and in terms of region and organizational muscle among Dems, Kaine could help.  I think, from the list above, Brown, Bennett and Kaine are the most appealing choices.  Warren of Virginia is popular there, but I find him to be quite wishy-washy on policy and I don't think it would reflect well on a national stage.

Actually, in thinking about this, it seems to me that, if Hillary doesn't run, the generally weak field of possible Dem candidates that's left over would make any one of these three guys viable presidential candidates in their own right, for different reasons.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 02:37:10 AM »

Warner of Virginia is popular there, but I find him to be quite wishy-washy on policy and I don't think it would reflect well on a national stage.

He's also really ugly, which, to be blunt, can hurt his chances.

It's just not a good face. Tongue
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 04:19:03 AM »

LOL!! Cheesy
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »

I'm not fan with pro life Bob Casey. Mark Warner would be perfect.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »

I voted Kaine, Warner, Heinrich, and Brown, with Kaine being the likeliest out of these options.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »

I voted Kaine, Warner, Heinrich, and Brown, with Kaine being the likeliest out of these options.
I already went to round 2:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=176376.0
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

Warner of Virginia is popular there, but I find him to be quite wishy-washy on policy and I don't think it would reflect well on a national stage.

He's also really ugly, which, to be blunt, can hurt his chances.

It's just not a good face. Tongue

Doesn't seem to hurt his chances at all in Virginia though. People are just not that superficial. I had the same reaction to begin with. But the more I got to know him, the more I liked him. And honestly, there's no way a future president will not be extremely well-known by the time the election day arrives. By then personality will trump looks one million percent. Had Gingrich had a nice personality, he might even have been in it with a shot himself. (The trouble with him though is that his personality - as agreed upon by his own lesbian half sister - is even more horrendous than his looks).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies