States Where Blacks Are Most Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:15:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  States Where Blacks Are Most Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States Where Blacks Are Most Republican?  (Read 2463 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:36:48 AM »

I don't know if polls of blacks by state have been done, but if so in which states are blacks most likely to Republican (say 20% voting GOP rather than the usual 10%)?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:00:36 AM »

Texas has some black Republicans.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:57 AM »

Oklahoma.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:59 AM »

Michigan Cheesy
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

According to CNN exit polls from 2004, Bush received 25% of the black vote in WA and 28% in OK. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:09 PM »

Yeah, the metro area of the country with the highest proportion of black Republicans is almost certainly Tulsa.  I'd bet it's also the metro with the most Native American Repubs, too.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 07:24:03 PM by Sheliak5 »

I believe Texas is the only state with three black republicans serving in the state house; Scott Turner, Stefani Carter and James White. Oklahoma is up there too, JC Watts, the new house speaker TW Shannon etc. The Cincinnati and Indianapolis areas have more than average for the midwest.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:16:19 PM »

I believe Texas is the only state with three black republicans serving in the state house. Oklahoma is up there too, JC Watts, the new house speaker TW Shannon etc. The Cincinnati and Indianapolis areas have more than average for the midwest.

Ken Blackwell (the 2006 republican nominee for Governor of Ohio) was from Cincinnati, and actually served as the city's mayor for a year.

Also, another state no one has mentioned: Louisiana. It's had multiple black republican who have become democrats solely because its the only way they can win an election, such as former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, and that guy in the legislature who just switched back to the GOP.

In fact, come to think of it Louisiana seems to have a lot of minority republicans, like Jindal, and former representative Joseph Cao.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 07:46:50 PM »

I would imagine the south would probably be the at the top of the list. Although most blacks are democrats, the south is conservative across the board.....
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

I would imagine the south would probably be the at the top of the list. Although most blacks are democrats, the south is conservative across the board.....

There are a decent number of blacks in Mississippi's Personhood USA Group and the President of Personhood USA Mississippi is black.  I'm almost certain those blacks are Republican. 
soniquemd21921
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:16:43 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 10:31:12 PM by soniquemd21921 »

During the period from the New Deal up until the Civil Rights Act of 1964, it appears that Maryland had the highest percentage of black GOP support: the counties with the highest percentage of black residents (Calvert, Charles, Somerset) almost always went Republican in the presidential elections (they voted for Landon over FDR in '36, for example).

My guess is that since many Maryland blacks were rural (Calvert and Charles were completely rural then), the New Deal may not have been as popular with them as it was with urban blacks.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

It's not as bad in the south.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 02:10:54 AM »

Is there any county or smaller municipality with over 50% Republican blacks?
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »

I believe Texas is the only state with three black republicans serving in the state house. Oklahoma is up there too, JC Watts, the new house speaker TW Shannon etc. The Cincinnati and Indianapolis areas have more than average for the midwest.

Ken Blackwell (the 2006 republican nominee for Governor of Ohio) was from Cincinnati, and actually served as the city's mayor for a year.

Also, another state no one has mentioned: Louisiana. It's had multiple black republican who have become democrats solely because its the only way they can win an election, such as former New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, and that guy in the legislature who just switched back to the GOP.

In fact, come to think of it Louisiana seems to have a lot of minority republicans, like Jindal, and former representative Joseph Cao.
Yeah Louisiana had a black republican that ran for Lieutenant Governor in the  80's/early 90's.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »

I'm pretty certain that the deep south is where the most blacks are democrats. For example in 2008 98% of blacks in AL voted for Obama, in TX it was also 98% and in LA it was 94%.

The places with the most black republicans are, counter intuitively, not necesarily more conservative, but whiter, as they have less of a history of racism and blacks are more integrated so more likely to vote as whites do. So this will be places like california/washington etc.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:03 AM »

Nixon in 1960 carried the black vote of Richmond over Kennedy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »

There are a decent number of blacks in Mississippi's Personhood USA Group and the President of Personhood USA Mississippi is black.  I'm almost certain those blacks are Republican. 

plenty of pro-life Democrats in MS, white and black.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »

Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah come to mind. Other safe GOP states don't have many blacks.
Nichlemn

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:58:06 AM »

Is there any county or smaller municipality with over 50% Republican blacks?

I'm pretty sure the only such places would be those where there are like three blacks total and two of them just happen to be a black Republican couple.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies