Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:58:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Atlasian Education Modernization Act (Rejected)  (Read 13226 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 06:28:37 PM »

Keep in mind that in Finland, the use of tuition fees is strictly prohibited and all schools are well-funded.  The prohibition of tuition fees hasn't stopped schools in Finland from ranking highest in the world, let alone existing.

I don't understand why we should subsidize private schools to make up for banning tuition, though. Why subsidize the private education sector when we could simply just pump more money into the public sector and drive the perceived need for private schooling out altogether? I'm all for banning tuition fees and private schools, but I don't want the state to make up the difference. We shouldn't pay a dime for people to educate their children outside of the regular public school system.

I want private schools to still exist, but at the same time I would like to de-emphasize our nation's emphasis on competition and instead improve the quality of all schools, be they public or private.  I don't think simply driving private schools out of business is going to help anyone.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »

Keep in mind that in Finland, the use of tuition fees is strictly prohibited and all schools are well-funded.  The prohibition of tuition fees hasn't stopped schools in Finland from ranking highest in the world, let alone existing.

I don't understand why we should subsidize private schools to make up for banning tuition, though. Why subsidize the private education sector when we could simply just pump more money into the public sector and drive the perceived need for private schooling out altogether? I'm all for banning tuition fees and private schools, but I don't want the state to make up the difference. We shouldn't pay a dime for people to educate their children outside of the regular public school system.

I want private schools to still exist, but at the same time I would like to de-emphasize our nation's emphasis on competition and instead improve the quality of all schools, be they public or private.  I don't think simply driving private schools out of business is going to help anyone.

You can't have quality schools if you have school segregation by income, which is what private schools essentially are.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »

You can't have quality schools if you have school segregation by income, which is what private schools essentially are.

Which is why I would like to replace school tuition with public funds, not the private schools themselves.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

Which is why I would like to replace school tuition with public funds, not the private schools themselves.

Why bother keeping the school 'private' then? If you're going to pay for kids to go there, just make them all into public schools and be done with it. Why continue to allow parasites to rake profits off of the top?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

TNF, would your proposal prohibit charter schools? It seems to me that what Scott suggests would effectively require that all private schools become charter schools. That doesn't seem that problematic to me, although I would support specifying that all private schools must be operated as non-profit organizations. (This is our current policy with regard to higher education.)

Essentially.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:54 PM »

TNF, would your proposal prohibit charter schools? It seems to me that what Scott suggests would effectively require that all private schools become charter schools. That doesn't seem that problematic to me, although I would support specifying that all private schools must be operated as non-profit organizations. (This is our current policy with regard to higher education.)

Essentially, that is what I'm proposing.  I don't want the private schools to cease from existence, but I would like them to operate without charging tuition.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 06:57:31 PM »

Essentially, that is what I'm proposing.  I don't want the private schools to cease from existence, but I would like them to operate without charging tuition.

Forgive me, but I still don't understand the rationale behind having two school systems funded by the state. It's a waste of taxpayer resources when we could simply have one well financed public school system.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »

Forgive me, but I still don't understand the rationale behind having two school systems funded by the state. It's a waste of taxpayer resources when we could simply have one well financed public school system.

The bill would effectively convert private schools into public ones, and the administrative figures/teachers/staff would be retained.  This really isn't that complicated.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »

Then why not operate them like normal public schools?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:13 PM »

Then why not operate them like normal public schools?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 07:08:24 PM »

They would run like normal public schools.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:28 PM »

Then why retain private ownership of them?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »

Because the government shouldn't just remove people from their jobs as long as they're complying with the law?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »

Because the government shouldn't just remove people from their jobs as long as they're complying with the law?

Their job of doing what exactly? Making money without actually doing anything other than presiding over a publicly funded private school?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 07:22:57 PM »

Their job of doing what exactly? Making money without actually doing anything other than presiding over a publicly funded private school?

Just because a school's publicly funded doesn't mean it doesn't have/need administrative oversight.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

Just because a school's publicly funded doesn't mean it doesn't have/need administrative oversight.

So why not do it ourselves, through the state, rather than pay someone in the private sector to do it?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »

For private schools, I mean.

I totally believe than the public system can work without tuition.
But:
1. I do not want to give public money to a private school, since we don't manage it and can't control how they spend it. And, if we totally fund it, it's not really a private school anymore.
2. Private schools will go bankrupt if they aren't funded nor can charge tuition.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 07:38:49 PM »

I prefer to keep privately fundex private schools but I can't support publicly funded private schools. Makes no sense at all.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »

I'm with MaxQue and Napoleon on this. We shouldn't be in the business of funding private schools.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

Banning private schools from funding themselves through tuition would effectively ban religious schools unless the government is willing to fully fund them, which I doubt anyone here would support, including me. I have no problem with charter schools or vouchers, so long as the charter schools are nonprofits. Competition, if structured properly, makes everyone better.

I have a potpourri of other concerns:
1. I will oppose TNF's suggestion of requiring a master's degree. Teaching does not require such an advanced specialized pool of knowledge that four years of higher education does not suffice, and if that is the case we may want to consider reforming our higher education system. Master's degrees for most teachers are simply a bureaucratic hoop that much be jumped through.
2. I don't necessarily disagree with the line giving teachers the ability to choose their textbooks, but I think we need to give schools the power to ensure all teachers instructing the same course are using the same textbook.
3. Requiring recess in all grade levels is a waste of time. High schoolers are not going to make good use of recess time to further their physical conditioning. It just makes their lives more complicated by adding another hour of something required to their day.
4. I don't think the federal government should require study hall. Let the schools make that decision.
5. How can there be a federal standardized test with no federal curriculum?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2013, 08:10:19 PM by Senator Scott »

So I take it that no one's on board with giving every student the opportunity to attend any school they want, regardless if the school is public or private?  Because if we can't agree on something as basic as that, the bill is practically DOA, and I will scrap the entire thing without relinquishing sponsorship.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »

So I take it that no one's on board with giving every student the opportunity to attend any school they want, regardless if the school is public or private?  Because if we can't agree on something as basic as that, the bill is practically DOA, and I will scrap the entire thing.

I would be on board with creating a vouncher system for students in poorly performing impoverished areas to do that, but I can't support fully funding all private schools like this.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »

So I take it that no one's on board with giving every student the opportunity to attend any school they want, regardless if the school is public or private?  Because if we can't agree on something as basic as that, the bill is practically DOA, and I will scrap the entire thing.

I would be on board with creating a vouncher system for students in poorly performing impoverished areas to do that, but I can't support fully funding all private schools like this.

Then it appears we are at an impasse.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

So you want the government to fund all private schools but are against vouchers? Why? The point of funding students at a private schools is to make it so parents can have a choice about their childrens' education. If we have the government annex all the private schools and make them into public ones, then there's no point in having a choice anymore because all the choices are the same.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:07 PM »

That is essentially the point.  In Finland, all schools are the same structure-wise, and the outcomes are mostly similar, but parents still have a choice in which schools their children go to.  Things like competition and vouchers simply aren't part of the conversation in that country, and they haven't needed either of them to get where they are today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies