Senate Bill: Pacific Crisis Stimulus Act (Enacted)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:37:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Bill: Pacific Crisis Stimulus Act (Enacted)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Senate Bill: Pacific Crisis Stimulus Act (Enacted)  (Read 7190 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »

I'm not very aware about payrolltaxes, but who would have the money freed? The employer or the worker?

The employee. It's taken directly out of their paychecks.

And the employer if one choses to extend it to them, since they at least on paper, pay half of the tax.

I am certain that the unemployment rate back in April (or was it March) is that lowest that unemployment has been in the four and a half years I have been in this game. Of course we didn't have data prior to PS's term as GM to go by.

Typically when unemployment (though not a perfect indicator) rises and keeps rising, a recession has begun. Typically the recession begins first but you don't know that it is begun (you learn about it through revisions) until after the you see the unemployment rising. Therefore since unemployment has been rising since May, a recession may have began in April and considering we have had two months (we can basically considering two months the equivalent of two quarters) of bad numbers, I think a recession is almost certainly where we are at by now. Also typically the economy can start slowing months before that point of no return for instance in October 1929, the economy had already been slowing down since the Spring if not fall of the previous year from what I read. The same can be said of the situation in 2007 when consumer demand flatlined in the middle of that year as the credit crunch got worse.

The economy of Atlasia has always been crappy primarily because of incompetence and instability in government. If Atlasia's economy were run by a computer simulation (think Vicky Revolutions or I guess Vicky 2 now), well lets just say Sam Spade might have stuck around to see a virtual equivalent to his real life predictions play out. Then of course opponents would make an issue of that data and incumbents would have to answer for them and lets just say this game would actually be fun. You would have something to run on and run against and suddenly fighting incompetence and inactivity will no longer be a Quixotic fight against gravity.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2013, 05:56:03 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2013, 05:59:33 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

All numbers are flexible and some of this wording is just tentative and shlal need refinement. Can we get Adam to break away from his aggressive CYA to provide us some numbers? P  

Sbane, how does 1.4.3 suit you?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

I offer the fallowing amendment:

It is very likely that officials associated with Pacific Rimjob are still going to be on the Pacific Council, even after the upcoming recalls. I don't see how we can allow some elected officials on the Council to handle how the money is spent, with others being barred to do so. Appears to me to be impossible and probably grounds for a legal dispute.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 04:44:51 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2013, 04:47:40 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The amendment is out of order, it is seeking to stike a text that doesn't exist. Tongue

Lets at least settle the content and get that in the text, before we haggle over conditions for how it is to be used and then you will have text to strike.

As for the legalities, it is taxpayer money to the federal treasury and we can set whatever standards we want for its usage to ensure it is being handled responsibly.

Would you trust your paycheck to such people?

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 05:31:29 AM »

As for the legalities, it is taxpayer money to the federal treasury and we can set whatever standards we want for its usage to ensure it is being handled responsibly.

It would be surprising than none of them are elected on the Pacific Council.
Deciding to exclude those members from the decisions would be constitutionnaly dubious, at best. Going over it and taking the decisions by ourselves would be very ironic, since it's what they want since the very beginning.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »

Deciding to exclude those members from the decisions would be constitutionnaly dubious, at best. Going over it and taking the decisions by ourselves would be very ironic, since it's what they want since the very beginning.

I don't see what you mean. Besides, it wouldn't be the Pacific Council but spamage that would actually be handling the money, and the SoIA already has the ability to pull monies in litterally numerous bills and on numerous distributions if it is being misused. This isn't Pacific money, this is the Federal Govt's and we have the obligation to set standards for its use as we have doen on dozens of bilsl over the past several years. This is no different then any of them as far as the legalities are concerned.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 05:40:47 AM »

I don't see what you mean. Besides, it wouldn't be the Pacific Council but spamage that would actually be handling the money, and the SoIA already has the ability to pull monies in litterally numerous bills and on numerous distributions if it is being misused. This isn't Pacific money, this is the Federal Govt's and we have the obligation to set standards for its use as we have doen on dozens of bilsl over the past several years. This is no different then any of them as far as the legalities are concerned.

Spamage was recalled, if my memory is good.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »

You don't say
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »

All numbers are flexible and some of this wording is just tentative and shlal need refinement. Can we get Adam to break away from his aggressive CYA to provide us some numbers? P 

Sbane, how does 1.4.3 suit you?

I am fine with it. It should be obvious that those who are responsible for the mess shouldn't be Involved in the cleanup.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 11:53:38 AM »

Nix, where is our GM?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 01:37:16 PM »

PROJECTED 2013 DEFICIT: $403.003 B
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »

I am fine with it. It should be obvious that those who are responsible for the mess shouldn't be Involved in the cleanup.

How can we legally do that if they are still on the Council after the recalls?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »

I have to admit I'm not comfortable about voting for creating/expanding the deficit.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 03:01:43 PM »

I have to admit I'm not comfortable about voting for creating/expanding the deficit.

Actually this would be the right time to deficit spend since we are looking at a recession.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 03:09:10 PM »

Actually this would be the right time to deficit spend since we are looking at a recession.

Well, is there a plan to close the deficit when the time is appropriate to?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »

These are all temporary measures. Closing the deficit will become a priority as soon as it is clear that healthy growth has resumed.

Very well.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

After taking a look at the SEDZI Act that Yankee asked GM Griffin to make a Report, I was thinking about that it would be better if we started the "Atlasian Works" program under the Pacific Region rather than creating a new bill of stimulus.

As the SEDZI Act has already passed into the Senate three years ago but was never put in place, it would take much less time if we just enact it now rather than standing with this legislative effort of another stimulus bill.

GM Griffin's estimates that the SEDZI would cost about 11 Billion Dollars and that would be a good amount of money for the Pacific Stimulus if we consider that bonds are also being bought by the FED and other measures may be taken by the Regional Government following the days after the Council and the Gubernatorial Recall.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 05:46:59 PM »

Full implementation of SEDZI would work well as a supplement to the bulk of this bill, but $11 billion dollars is a relatively small sum of money and unlikely to stimulate demand sufficiently. I would prefer that we at least retain the payroll tax holiday as a part of this legislative package.

Oh sure, now I have seen that the whole stimulus would cost 371 billions!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »

Just to clarify (in case it was intrepreted differently):

This is what the projected deficit would be if this stimulus were passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:36 AM »

Just to Clarify:

Tongue
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »

Just to clarify (in case it was intrepreted differently):

This is what the projected deficit would be if this stimulus were passed.

That would be a huge deficit anyway. We shall see how are we are going to pay this huge stimulus!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 11:04:03 AM »

Well lets not go overboard over a text that I through together on such short notice, we don't even really have a current text at this stage.

Now
After taking a look at the SEDZI Act that Yankee asked GM Griffin to make a Report, I was thinking about that it would be better if we started the "Atlasian Works" program under the Pacific Region rather than creating a new bill of stimulus.

As the SEDZI Act has already passed into the Senate three years ago but was never put in place, it would take much less time if we just enact it now rather than standing with this legislative effort of another stimulus bill.

GM Griffin's estimates that the SEDZI would cost about 11 Billion Dollars and that would be a good amount of money for the Pacific Stimulus if we consider that bonds are also being bought by the FED and other measures may be taken by the Regional Government following the days after the Council and the Gubernatorial Recall.

What would be needed to do that? Is it legislation or can you do it with what authorization you have right now?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »

Yankee,

The SEDZI Act mentioned a 5 year period! Surprise

I started with the Pacific because Griffin had already calculated the cost. I intend to set the SEDZI at the other regions as soon as Griffin ends the cost calculation and I also intend to take a look t other previous legislations that could work as stimulus! Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »

Adam, do you have any figures on total federal debt as a share of annual Atlasian GDP?

This is the last update by a GM that I can find that references the federal debt. Seeing what transpired in the months following that up until now, we would be looking at a national debt of around $13.1 trillion.

The last GDP update was $14.93 trillion, so ~88%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 03:37:39 AM »

What would be needed to do that? Is it legislation or can you do it with what authorization you have right now?

It looks like the Senate would need to act upon this - either in conjunction with a regional government or on its own. I'm not sure how a regional government could act by itself ("and/or"). The moneys are then distributed to the SEDZ themselves.

Social & Economic Development Zone Improvement Act

Yankee,

The SEDZI Act mentioned a 5 year period! Surprise

They can be in operation for up to five years. The actual concern vis a vis revenue implications can be seen below:

Which is 12 months:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies