Blunt: Obama didn't abuse the IRS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:59:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blunt: Obama didn't abuse the IRS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blunt: Obama didn't abuse the IRS  (Read 603 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »

So there goes another big Obama scandal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/05/us/politics/irs-scrutiny-went-beyond-the-political.html?hp&_r=2&

Senator Roy Blunt, Republican of Missouri, said that in retrospect, suggestions that Mr. Obama had orchestrated an I.R.S. attack on his political enemies were unwarranted.

“Presidents have always been very careful about maintaining the appearance of keeping hands off the I.R.S.,” he said. “I don’t have any reason to believe there wasn’t targeting of conservatives, but it might well have been a lot more than that as well.”
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »

I've never understood how the Missouri Tea Partiers let Roy Blunt basically take a leisurely stroll into the Senate without any challenge from his right. You'd think an ideologically squishy longtime incumbent whose son was a mediocre governor would have had more pushback.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »

I've never understood how the Missouri Tea Partiers let Roy Blunt basically take a leisurely stroll into the Senate without any challenge from his right. You'd think an ideologically squishy longtime incumbent whose son was a mediocre governor would have had more pushback.

Chuck Purgason completely blew it as a candidate, and Blunt is right-wing enough (see: The Blunt Amendment on abortion).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2013, 03:56:59 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

The problems with Blunt were that he was from a nepotistic family and earmarks (including ties to Tom Delay). That wasn't enough to get him in 2010 unfortunately, unlike say Murkowski, where there was abortion, amnesty etc etc. I really hoped he would primaried Sarah Steelman, but on the flip side I wanted her against McCaskil because failed Gubernatorial candidates have a solid record at winning Missouri Class I. Wink

I think the statement is being misinterpretted.

“Presidents have always been very careful about maintaining the appearance of keeping hands off the I.R.S.,” he said. “I don’t have any reason to believe there wasn’t targeting of conservatives, but it might well have been a lot more than that as well.”

Seems rather cynical at best.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:09:45 PM »

The problem with these "Obama Scandals" is that the GOP is politicizing them before they have any real evidence Obama's actually at fault. They come off as desperate to pin something on him(IRS), hypocritical(NSA) or with Benghazi, opportunistic in the face of tragedy.

Yes, what the IRS was/is doing is suspect and needs to be investigated.
Yes, Benghazi needs to be explained.
Yes, the NSA is out of control.

What Republicans need to do is actually investigate, and if something is linked to Obama/Hillary, then they can politicize it.

Benghazi seems like something that might actually really damage Obama or Clinton, but the GOP has turned it into a partisan witch-hunt. Now if they actually find any wrongdoing, it will come off as politicized. 

The NSA has been out of control before the Obama Presidency.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »

The NSA is definitely a bigger deal than Benghazi (which could have been if they didn't immediately go to the media before there was a "there") or the IRS (see Benghazi..or maybe not at all).
Link
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »

Yeah, that's where they come off as hypocritical. But of course, many libs are mad that he didn't stop it, while partisan Democrats are hypocritically silent/approving.

Oh, brother.  There are plenty of people from both parties that simply don' t care about the make believe NSA "scandal" regardless of who is in office.  I didn't flip out about the wire tapping when Bush was in office and I am not flipping out about this.  We are the people that have things called jobs and lives.  The black helicopters don't come for productive tax payers.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:45 PM »

Wait... a Republican suggested Obama didn't do something wrong?!! I smell a primary...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies