working fast food
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:34:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  working fast food
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ....
worked it

havent worked it

never would work it

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: working fast food  (Read 3705 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »

I enjoyed it, although I like the restaurant that I'm at now much better (still "fast" food, but it's made to order most of the time and better quality than burgers and fries).  Everyone should work at least a year in a service-type industry.

As for the discounts, we get free food while we're there and a 15% discount on our days off.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

i have an interview at wendy's on monday.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »

It does seem that most prostitution prohibitionist sentiment comes from a desire to control women's sexual choices.

Some of it probably does come from that. Others are appalled by the exploitation of  (and often, violence against)  women (especially underage and/or poor women) through coercion, intimidation, and threats-hardly a "choice" for many of those women.
How does the legal prohibition stop any of this? The sex slavery you describe is often a result of the prohibition. Prohibition keeps men in control of women and their sexuality, which is my entire point.

German sex slaves would disagree.

DC let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Most prostitutes do very well where 1) their profession is legal in their country, and 2) they are working in their homeland, and thus have full legal rights.

Here in Thailand the Thai prostitutes do very well - making much more than their non-prostitute sisters - and face little or no violence or coercion.  My 'regular girl' makes around $800-1,000/month (about 2-3 times what a clerk makes working full time) working just a couple of hours a day, about 15-20 days per month, mostly from a set of reliable regulars.  Of course to be fair she's 20 years old and super-hot.. the situation is not so easy for those who are past their 'sell by' date.

So she's basically a coal miner in 1890?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »

Never would work it. I don't have the kind of energy to bust my balls for minimum wage.

and people call me an elitist?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 01:33:14 AM »

Never would work it. I don't have the kind of energy to bust my balls for minimum wage.

It's not necessarily elitist to point out that a lot of people simply can't work that hard for so little in return.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 05:50:22 AM »

Even if they, scary thought, want to provide for themselves and have no other way at the moment?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

It's not necessarily elitist to point out that a lot of people simply can't work that hard for so little in return.

such people must not need the money then.

i work in fast food.   the pay is low obviously.  but it isnt exactly back breaking labor.  in fact, the work is simple for the most part.  mind numbing yes...but not particularly hard.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

i work in fast food.   the pay is low obviously.  but it isnt exactly back breaking labor.  in fact, the work is simple for the most part.  mind numbing yes...but not particularly hard.

Good lord man, what do you think your betters do?  Their work is infinitely easier - sitting at desks making phone calls and that sort of thing.  Heck the ones at the top never even go to an office, you all just serve them as they jet from luxury hotel to luxury hotel.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »

Good lord man, what do you think your betters do?  Their work is infinitely easier - sitting at desks making phone calls and that sort of thing.  Heck the ones at the top never even go to an office, you all just serve them as they jet from luxury hotel to luxury hotel.
He's not comparing himself to his betters. He's comparing himself to other serfs who must endure more physical toils in order to prevent starvation. May as well look on the bright side. It beats singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 11:16:18 PM »

I'd rather eat it, personally.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »

He's not comparing himself to his betters. He's comparing himself to other serfs who must endure more physical toils in order to prevent starvation. May as well look on the bright side. It beats singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

Haha, never underestimate the obedience of the masses..
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »

I would never work it - too much pain in the feet. I need to be able to work sitting down for at least an hour or so per standard 8-hour shift to rest them.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2013, 12:08:38 PM »

right.  there are people who work much harder physically, granted they probably get paid more.

fast food isnt a physical job at all, really.  standing on your feet can get tiresome.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »

Although your feet may get tired, standing is good for you. We all sit far too much for our own good.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

Although your feet may get tired, standing is good for you. We all sit far too much for our own good.

I go cycling for 150-200 miles per month, and stand at least six hours per day... but If I push the feet too hard they swell up afterwards, become very painful to put weight on, and render me stranded in a chair for a day or two afterwards - as I unpleasantly learned during my last visit to the DC area. :<
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies