Only 23 % in US support an immigration surge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:00:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Only 23 % in US support an immigration surge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Only 23 % in US support an immigration surge  (Read 425 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

I finally found one item for the GOP to hold onto in the current immigration debate.  Gallup's annual survey on immigration found only 23% agree that the US needs more annual immigration, about 40% say it should stay the same, and about 35% say it should be less.  I wonder how many Americans realize the Senate bill will roughly double legal immigration. Of course, how many Americans really know how many come into the country legally right now?
   This points to something the GOP might want to be looking at, some sort of amnesty program without any changes to legal immigration levels, plus changes within the legal system going for more high skilled immigration, but without an immigration surge as envisioned by the Senate bill.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:03:54 PM »

Why did I know this was a Gallup poll before I even read your post?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:08:31 PM »

Gallup has also reported that 80+% of Americans favor a path to citizenship for those already here.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:28:05 PM »

Immigration reform won't lead to an immigration surge, there's been less and less people coming. A large majority support securing the border and legalizing the people already here, which is what the bill actually does.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:57:09 PM »

Fun with Stats!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

Gallup has also reported that 80+% of Americans favor a path to citizenship for those already here.

The thing is both stat and the title of the thread are probably true. Most Americans when asked what they want on anything want both sides.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:09:16 PM »

Immigration reform won't lead to an immigration surge, there's been less and less people coming. A large majority support securing the border and legalizing the people already here, which is what the bill actually does.

It does more than that.  It also increases legal immigration and visas for skilled workers, and creates a guest-worker program.
rob in cal
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »

I believe the CBO estimate, which I don't think the Senate supporters have said anything against, envisions somewhere around a doubling of current levels of legal immigration.  Of course, if the world economy keeps making gains and the impact of falling international birth rates continues, one can make the case that such a foreseen immigration surge won't take place on the expected scale. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »

The thing is both stat and the title of the thread are probably true. Most Americans when asked what they want on anything want both sides.

A person can want to give citizenship to those already here without wanting increased immigration levels (though I guess someone can argue it's not a workable combination).
rob in cal
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:13 PM »

I believe the Dream Act, or the GOP version that might be coming out known as the Kids Act, might be trying to do this, a path to citizenship without new higher levels of overall legal immigration.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »

A person can want to give citizenship to those already here without wanting increased immigration levels (though I guess someone can argue it's not a workable combination).

Very true and gallup is the most traditional and historical polling. We can support easier paths to citizenship without bringing more people into our country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies