What states might sign the Popular Vote Compact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:15:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What states might sign the Popular Vote Compact?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What states might sign the Popular Vote Compact?  (Read 2282 times)
Space7
Rookie
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:29:42 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2013, 12:52:06 AM by Space7 »

Also, the current status of the campaign:

Bright green means the state has approved, and made it law.
Grey-green means the law is pending.
Grey means the law is not pending, nor enacted.

(base map is from this website: tib.cjcs.com/8735/2012-electoral-cartogram/)

This is the same map, without using a cartogram:

I just made this thread to ask, which states are most likely to sign the popular vote compact? (this thread shows you what that is if you don't know: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=36980.0)

Only 9 states (and DC) have given it the stamp of approval, but thanks partially to the fact that one of them was California, the campaign is over half way to their required number of votes, 270. They currently have 136.

The question is, what states will join the compact? What is the easiest route for the campaign?

If all the states that are pending accepted the law, they would only require four more states to get 272, just 2 over par (for examples sake, I chose Texas, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, these states are highlighted on the map with slashed green).

Obviously though, some of the pending states may not approve the bill, and some of the slashed-green states I chose will probably not decide to join the agreement.

The question is, which states will? Would Florida or Texas join? What is the most likely route for the campaign? Will they ever reach their goal? Which Republican-leaning states will accept the Compact, if any?

Just for reference purposes, here is a list of states which have rejected the law:

Arkansas: Accepted twice by the lower house, rejected twice by the upper house.

Colorado: Has failed three times so far. It has passed both the upper house and the lower house at various times, but never at the same time.

Connecticut: Died in committee once in the upper house after it was passed in the lower house.

Delaware: Died twice in the upper house.

Louisiana: Failed entirely.

Maine: Indefinitely postponed by the lower house.

Michigan: Died in committee in the upper house.

Montana: Completely failed.

Nevada: Died in upper house committee.

New Mexico: Not voted on in upper house.

New York: Has twice been not voted on in the lower house, despite being accepted by the upper house.

North Carolina: Lower house, died in committee.

North Dakota: Died immediately.

Also, the progress of the law in the states where it is pending are as follows:

Minnesota: Failed 62-71 in the Lower House, but back in committee, currently in committee as well in the upper house.

New York: Passed the lower house. Now in committee in the upper house.

Oregon: Same as New York.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:29 AM »

My guess:

Green - Currently in compact (136 EVs)
Red - Potential join.* (127 EVs)
Grey - Very unlikely in the next 7-8 years mainly because of GOP control/opposition. (275 EVs)

*D-trifecta in Oregon, Colorado, Minnesota, New York, Delaware, Connecticut (and Maine+New Hampshire post-2014?) likely to join the compact. Nevada and New Mexico could follow with Democratic governors. Alaska, Montana, Arizona, Missouri, Michigan could join with initiatives. Ohio and Florida could have initiatives too but I think they would vote them down considering how much they benefit from the existing system with all that attention in 2012 (and probably 2016). Other states like Oklahoma have initiative systems but I don't think Oklahoma voters would approve something that makes it harder for the party they back to win (even Missouri via initiative is kind of iffy in my guess but I don't think it's as much a stretch as Oklahoma or Idaho).

So it ain't happening in time for 2016 and how 2016 turns out could change everything. If Democrats lose the popular vote but win the electoral college then you could see some Republican states join the compact. If Democrats win with a wide popular vote and electoral vote margin then the push to join the compact in Democratic-controlled states will probably be even weaker.
Space7
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:29 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2013, 01:22:06 AM by Space7 »

Just added Rhode Island to the maps and edited the first post to fix some small mistakes.

Half way mark! Rhode Island brings it to 136.

My guess:

Green - Currently in compact (136 EVs)
Red - Potential join.* (127 EVs)
Grey - Very unlikely in the next 7-8 years mainly because of GOP control/opposition. (275 EVs)

*D-trifecta in Oregon, Colorado, Minnesota, New York, Delaware, Connecticut (and Maine+New Hampshire post-2014?) likely to join the compact. Nevada and New Mexico could follow with Democratic governors. Alaska, Montana, Arizona, Missouri, Michigan could join with initiatives. Ohio and Florida could have initiatives too but I think they would vote them down considering how much they benefit from the existing system with all that attention in 2012 (and probably 2016). Other states like Oklahoma have initiative systems but I don't think Oklahoma voters would approve something that makes it harder for the party they back to win (even Missouri via initiative is kind of iffy in my guess but I don't think it's as much a stretch as Oklahoma or Idaho).

So it ain't happening in time for 2016 and how 2016 turns out could change everything. If Democrats lose the popular vote but win the electoral college then you could see some Republican states join the compact. If Democrats win with a wide popular vote and electoral vote margin then the push to join the compact in Democratic-controlled states will probably be even weaker.

Yes, very likely it won't happen by 2016. I see that your map would just barely fall short of the 270 votes needed. The support of at least one of the Republican-held big ticket states, such as Texas, would really help the compact. Georgia or North Carolina would probably work too.

edited to clarify and and more content
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »

If Romney would have won the popular vote in 2012 (which he came surprisingly close to doing), we would be looking at having the NPVIC in place in time for 2016.

Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »

If Romney would have won the popular vote in 2012 (which he came surprisingly close to doing), we would be looking at having the NPVIC in place in time for 2016.

No, more likely Republican-controlled state legislatures would just push harder to allot electoral votes by congressional district.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies