Opinion of John Maynard Keynes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:26:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Opinion of John Maynard Keynes  (Read 2567 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »

Unquestionably the greatest economist of the 20th century.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

[Jews] have in them deep-rooted instincts that are antagonistic and therefore repulsive to the European, and their presence among us is a living example of the insurmountable difficulties that exist in merging race characteristics, in making cats love dogs

It is not agreeable to see civilization so under the ugly thumbs of its impure Jews who have all the money and the power and brains.

-John Maynard Keynes
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:23:40 PM »

FF
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »

Mega HP.

Unquestionably the greatest most awful economist of the 20th century.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

So the best the libertarians can come up with are a couple of anti-Semitic lines? Weren't most people anti-Semitic back then? I thought you guys had legitimate attacks against you know, his economic theories.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 09:26:40 PM »

So the best the libertarians can come up with are a couple of anti-Semitic lines? Weren't most people anti-Semitic back then? I thought you guys had legitimate attacks against you know, his economic theories.

My main criticism is that his solution to most macroeconomic problems requires politicians to have their act together. It seems horribly optimistic.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »

My main criticism is that his solution to most macroeconomic problems requires politicians to have their act together. It seems horribly optimistic.

or, at least, to be neutral arbiters, along the lines of Plato's philosopher kings.  here is where the Marxian analysis of the state as a mediator of class conflict is superior. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »

But God forbid when a libertarian is anti-semitic. Then, all of the sudden, everyone from that era is NOT anti-semite.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »

But God forbid when a libertarian is anti-semitic. Then, all of the sudden, everyone from that era is NOT anti-semite.

So, two wrongs make a right then? Gotchya.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »

While I certainly agree with you that Keynes has major flaws, I think that you could pin that criticism on all economic ideologies. For example,  Libertarianism requires that politicians and companies don't decide that doing buisness with the government and the Fed is more lucrative than doing buisness with the private sector, as they do now.
As for Keyenes, his economics are generally outdated. The central problem is that with government spending so high in most Western nations, the amount of money, even with the multiplier effect, that is needed to truely whack the economy into shape is so high that it is politically and socially impossible to obtain it without resorting to other, more odious means (i.e. printing money).
Just another reason to prefer Friedman.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 01:17:25 PM »

I think that Friedman, were he alive today and looking at things with a truly unbiased eye, would conclude that we should be printing money, in fact.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »

I think that Friedman, were he alive today and looking at things with a truly unbiased eye, would conclude that we should be printing money, in fact.
While he certainly wouldn't be supporting the current tight mooney lunacy that unfortunately grips my party, I think that he would recognize that the sole reason that we don't have inflation today would be the lack of velocity in our monetary system, so he wouldn't want us to go directly into high inflation after velocity picks up again.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 02:28:18 PM »

We might be using "great" in a different sense but Keynes is objectively the greatest economist of the 20th century. You'd have to include Adam Smith and Karl Marx to come close to someone exceeding his influence on the field. Friedman (whose name has cropped up in this thread, I notice) does not compare.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »

We might be using "great" in a different sense but Keynes is objectively the greatest economist of the 20th century. You'd have to include Adam Smith and Karl Marx to come close to someone exceeding his influence on the field. Friedman (whose name has cropped up in this thread, I notice) does not compare.

That's what I meant, yeah. Not surprising that libertarihacks wouldn't get this.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 07:50:08 AM »

He was quite skilled at articulating the pre-existing biases and narrow self-interest of the politician and the "folk economist," and talking in circles to confuse people into thinking he had a sophisticated argument for policies that were previously recognized on the face of them as harmful and/or beneficial only to the few.  He was therefore among the greatest sophists of the 20th or any century.  Economist?  No.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »

Neutral, lean HP.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »

FF in that I recognise his accomplishments as an economist.

HP in that I disagree with him.

So, neutral.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

he was also a stupid queer lolololol
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 01:13:05 PM »

he was also a stupid queer lolololol

and had no idea about SOUND MONETARY POLICY
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »

It is very true that he shared most of the disgusting attitudes of the rest of his social milieu (and it's wrong to make excuses for that. He was also an appalling cultural elitist: as in, an actual elitist) but his attitudes to politics and society aren't why he was (is) a notable figure.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »

The way that is phrased it is unquestionably false.

Keynes was an important economist, although he is generally badly misinterpreted. What most people mean today by Keynesian policy is quite dubious. I don't expect any of this to impact the general hackery likely to go on in this thread though.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 12:40:21 AM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 07:16:23 AM »

No.

Keynes was an undoubted HP. He was director of the British Eugenics Society from 1937-1944 and defended those ideas until his death in 1946.

Of course talking about his eugenic ideas in the context of his economic theories is equivalent to thrashing Newtonian physics on the basis of Newton's notorious interests in the occult.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies