Opinion of John Maynard Keynes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:38:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of John Maynard Keynes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
FF

HP

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Opinion of John Maynard Keynes  (Read 2597 times)
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« on: July 14, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »

So the best the libertarians can come up with are a couple of anti-Semitic lines? Weren't most people anti-Semitic back then? I thought you guys had legitimate attacks against you know, his economic theories.

My main criticism is that his solution to most macroeconomic problems requires politicians to have their act together. It seems horribly optimistic.
While I certainly agree with you that Keynes has major flaws, I think that you could pin that criticism on all economic ideologies. For example,  Libertarianism requires that politicians and companies don't decide that doing buisness with the government and the Fed is more lucrative than doing buisness with the private sector, as they do now.
As for Keyenes, his economics are generally outdated. The central problem is that with government spending so high in most Western nations, the amount of money, even with the multiplier effect, that is needed to truely whack the economy into shape is so high that it is politically and socially impossible to obtain it without resorting to other, more odious means (i.e. printing money).
Just another reason to prefer Friedman.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »

Just another reason to prefer Friedman.

I think that Friedman, were he alive today and looking at things with a truly unbiased eye, would conclude that we should be printing money, in fact.
While he certainly wouldn't be supporting the current tight mooney lunacy that unfortunately grips my party, I think that he would recognize that the sole reason that we don't have inflation today would be the lack of velocity in our monetary system, so he wouldn't want us to go directly into high inflation after velocity picks up again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies