how would a "no-bullsh**t" third party ticket do
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:06:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how would a "no-bullsh**t" third party ticket do  (Read 1017 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »

it would involve someone like Adam Carolla or Bill Maher on the ticket. Brutally honest and says things exactly how they feel and is against cherry picking and always uses facts to back up what they believe. Incorporates rhetoric from both right and left but is pretty anti-hyperbole. Sort of a "what you get is what you see" kind of ticket.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »

If we have someone like that that opens out eyes and participates in the debates, possibly like Ross Perot, but a little less than what he did because voters in this country have become more party-line.
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »

Unless the two parties have unpopular nominees like in '92, moderate third parties just don't work. Moderates can work if Libs or Cons support them, but without those bases one's only potential supporters are a very small group of people.
In other words, people like blowhards they like far more than moderates they can stand.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »

I think they will be well recieved by the electorate, but in a 2-party system such as ours, many people would be like, "Yes, I like them, but I wish they were in my party", and then go and vote for their candidate.

Probably a 1992 Ross Perot-esque performance with a high PV total, no EVs, support from left/right/center/non-voters, and denies anyone a majority. Losing party blames them.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:51:38 PM »

There's only one way to tell. Candidates have to BS things or else the uninformed won't vote for them and they'll never win. It's all about making promises that lead people to think "if I vote for him I'll get something for free."
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:06:00 AM »

Adam Carolla is a right-wing nut.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »

And Bill Maher is an anti-vaccine conspiracy theorist.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »

I think there are several moderates in both parties who could do a good job as president and run on an independent ticket, but they aren't likely to win.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:29:19 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2013, 01:33:13 AM by eric82oslo »

it would involve someone like Adam Carolla or Bill Maher on the ticket. Brutally honest and says things exactly how they feel and is against cherry picking and always uses facts to back up what they believe. Incorporates rhetoric from both right and left but is pretty anti-hyperbole. Sort of a "what you get is what you see" kind of ticket.

I love Bill Maher, but he's almost as left as you can get though. It's almost like even Elizabeth Warren seems like a sweet, innocent girl next to him. Tongue

What about Jon Stewart? He is at least much more centrist than Bill Maher.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:01:47 AM »

But your not going to say anything about Bill Maher? Ha.
DS0816
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:03 AM »

Are people forgetting already about Ross Perot in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 2000?

They're used as scapegoats by the two major parties and the corporate news media which loves, loves, loves having only a two-way horserace. (Screw all you "fringe" people running for the presidency! Only a person with a "R" or a "D" may run.)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:38 AM »

I love Bill Maher, but he's almost as left as you can get though.

He's viciously anti-Occupy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »

Every third party ticket tries to be "no-bullsh**t". See where that's gotten 'em.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »

He would have to be to be considered "no bullsh**t".
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »

Is he? At the same time I don't think he's supporting the 1% either. Tongue Being anti-Occupy and not supporting the 1% is a bit like being anti-feminist and still support Hillary for president. Tongue Maybe you don't necesarily support the behaviour of the Occupy Wall Street guys, but supporting their policy proposals is a no-brainer. The vast majority of Americans want to see the 1% richest Americans pay more in taxes, as the exit polls clearly showed on election night. The American voice on this is almost as unanimous as it is in favor of background checks for gun sales.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 01:30:05 PM »

He would have to be to be considered "no bullsh**t".

The only time I think I've personally heard Maher say something that wasn't particularily left wing or populist was when he defended Israel against Palestinian attacks. Then he sounded just like a Republican. Yet that's the only incident that comes to my mind right now. In any case it isn't particularily shocking for a Democrat to be rather hawkish and conservative on foreign policy. Even Kirsten Gillibrand is very conservative when it comes to policy related to Israel.
stevekamp
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:39 PM »

In a three-way context, would be unlikely to carry any states.  Closest state level models are Minnesota (Ventura) and Maine (Angus King). Other states would have a siphon effect like Perot 1992 (finished second in Maine and Utah, third everywhere else) or on a smaller scale, Nader 2000 (NH, Fla).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 05:39:56 AM »

Pretty badly. It invites them to be held to an impossible standard (IE- Would the no-bullsh**t party care to explain the history of third-party campaigns in the United States, as well as what qualifies them to run one of the biggest bureaucracies on the planet?) And there would likely be a point where they would really piss off a lot of voters, calling bullsh**t on something 75% of the populace likes.

But if you have a prominent enough figure calling out the shortcomings of Democrats and Republicans, along with some bold policy initiatives, it could get some support (five percent or so) in a race that lacks a figure with Obama's appeal.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:48 AM »

About 2% on the national vote, if they are lucky and run a good campaign. I can see it getting a bit over 5% in a non-competitive state or two.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies