White evangelicals in the South vs white evangelicals outside the South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:40:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  White evangelicals in the South vs white evangelicals outside the South
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White evangelicals in the South vs white evangelicals outside the South  (Read 812 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »

In the mid-to-late 20th century, white evangelicals outside the states of the Old Confederacy tended to be considerably more Republican than those within the Southern states (or areas that had Southern cultural heritage but weren't exactly part of the South themselves). This was generally true even through the Reagan years in the 1980s.

In the 1990s, Southern white evangelicals really trended hard toward the GOP camp, to the point that by the time the 2000s rolled around, White evangelicals in much of the country-Southern and non-Southern alike-became the major electoral backbone of the Republican Party.

My question is: Are white evangelicals in the South becoming more Republican than white evangelicals outside the South? Would this parallel a more general trend of Southern whites becoming more Republican than non-Southern whites?

barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »

In the mid-to-late 20th century, white evangelicals outside the states of the Old Confederacy tended to be considerably more Republican than those within the Southern states (or areas that had Southern cultural heritage but weren't exactly part of the South themselves). This was generally true even through the Reagan years in the 1980s.

In the 1990s, Southern white evangelicals really trended hard toward the GOP camp, to the point that by the time the 2000s rolled around, White evangelicals in much of the country-Southern and non-Southern alike-became the major electoral backbone of the Republican Party.

My question is: Are white evangelicals in the South becoming more Republican than white evangelicals outside the South? Would this parallel a more general trend of Southern whites becoming more Republican than non-Southern whites?

I think so. Evangelicals in the south are in a more conservative region. I think we've seen whites in general become more conservative in the last generation too.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

I think so. Evangelicals in the south are in a more conservative region. I think we've seen whites in general become more conservative in the last generation too.

Not more conservative. Just less liberal than other groups. And in the case they've become more conservative, it's due to tabloid media like talk radio and brainwashing shows like The Bill O'Reilley Show. The white, the religious and the evangelical vote has also gotten older compared to everyone else. Thus they seem more conservative, while in fact they've only become less liberal as they have been replaced at the ballot box by younger voters.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:36:01 PM »

Not more conservative. Just less liberal than other groups. And in the case they've become more conservative, it's due to tabloid media like talk radio and brainwashing shows like The Bill O'Reilley Show. The white, the religious and the evangelical vote has also gotten older compared to everyone else. Thus they seem more conservative, while in fact they've only become less liberal as they have been replaced at the ballot box by younger voters.

O'Reilly is an environmentalist who opposes the death penalty and supports gay adoptions. He's brainwashing in what way? Or are you disappointed your party doesn't have a lock on the south anymore? Or just don't like the other party? The evangelical vote doesn't have the strength they did a decade ago, but just because people don't agree with you doesn't make their view any less valid. You're entitled to your views as they are too.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

O'Reilly is an environmentalist who opposes the death penalty and supports gay adoptions. He's brainwashing in what way? Or are you disappointed your party doesn't have a lock on the south anymore? Or just don't like the other party? The evangelical vote doesn't have the strength they did a decade ago, but just because people don't agree with you doesn't make their view any less valid. You're entitled to your views as they are too.

I must admit that I haven't watched O'Reilly for years and years - since Bush was president more or less, so I'm not really sure what his positions are. I just really don't like his aggressive tone, how he always used to attack his guests, at least if they were Democrats or liberals. But something is telling me that he's not as aggressive as he used to be back then, am I right? Tongue
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:57 PM »

I must admit that I haven't watched O'Reilly for years and years - since Bush was president more or less, so I'm not really sure what his positions are. I just really don't like his aggressive tone, how he always used to attack his guests, at least if they were Democrats or liberals. But something is telling me that he's not as aggressive as he used to be back then, am I right? Tongue

He takes an aggressive tone when the people on his show don't know what they're talking about, don't have their facts straight, can't back something up, or take an insane position such as supporting Hamas. Part of his aggression is to keep the discussions entertaining. In recent years he's seemed to have more quality guests though. Most people would classify him as a center-right independent. He also writes more books than I believe possible. I bet he has others write them and he edits them, but claims authorship for selling purposes in combination with shared profits.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:44:28 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2013, 11:49:31 PM by cope1989 »

If anybody questions how conservative America is compared to its peers, just remember that there are people out there like barfbag who think Bill O'Reilly is too liberal.

And to answer the question, I think white southern evangelicals are a different breed. Outside the south, some evangelicals are more open to the social justice side of Christianity and might be more likely to oppose the death penalty or support a greater social safety net. However, I think that in the south there really is no difference between the GOP and evangelical Christianity. Whatever the GOP is pushing becomes what the preachers are shouting from the pulpit, and vice versa.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:47:36 PM »

If anybody questions how conservative America is compared to its peers, just remember that there are people out there like barfbag who think Bill O'Reilly is too liberal.

Please find for me where I said O'Reilly is too liberal. This is what Democrats do. They put words in the mouths of others because they have no agenda other than bringing down those around them. In what post did I say O'Reilly is too liberal? I know I said he's center-right. Center-right doesn't mean liberal. I have an idea for you and it's called not making things up.

Huh
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 11:52:33 PM »

Please find for me where I said O'Reilly is too liberal. This is what Democrats do. They put words in the mouths of others because they have no agenda other than bringing down those around them. In what post did I say O'Reilly is too liberal? I know I said he's center-right. Center-right doesn't mean liberal. I have an idea for you and it's called not making things up.

Huh

Come on dude. I've been watching O'Reilly for years. Every now and then he makes some moderate hero concessions to keep up his independent credentials, but most of his viewpoints are pretty conservative. I'll admit, I haven't watched him in a while since I got rid of my cable but the last time I saw his show I remember him ranting for an entire hour about the war on Christmas, as is the cherished holiday tradition over at Fox News
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:06:23 AM »

Huh

Come on dude. I've been watching O'Reilly for years. Every now and then he makes some moderate hero concessions to keep up his independent credentials, but most of his viewpoints are pretty conservative. I'll admit, I haven't watched him in a while since I got rid of my cable but the last time I saw his show I remember him ranting for an entire hour about the war on Christmas, as is the cherished holiday tradition over at Fox News

Where did I say he's too liberal?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »

Huh

After eric82oslo called oreilly conservative, you called him, "an environmentalist who opposes the death penalty and supports gay adoptions." As these are liberal positions, you implied that he's liberal.

It should be noted however, that many conservatives, namely the Catholic Church, oppose the death penalty.
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:35 PM »

Huh

After eric82oslo called oreilly conservative, you called him, "an environmentalist who opposes the death penalty and supports gay adoptions." As these are liberal positions, you implied that he's liberal.

It should be noted however, that many conservatives, namely the Catholic Church, oppose the death penalty.
The Catholic Church is only conservative on social issues, and even then, only abortion/gay marriage/euthanasia really
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »

Huh

They're liberal positions but not too liberal at least not for me. There's nothing wrong with his positions. I'm not saying O'Reilly is too liberal or too conservative. He has both conservative and liberal positions.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

It depends on how we're defining what an evangelical is.

It's worth remembering that the evangelical movement as it exists today started in California of all places with Aimee Semple McPherson's Foursquare Gospel movement. That evangelicalism was tilted a lot more in the direction of populism and social justice - finding jobs for ex-convicts, making baby clothes for new mothers - and of things like faith healing that generally don't figure heavily into evangelical Christianity today.

Evangelical Christianity in the South isn't really much more than a rebranding of the Calvinist-infused Protestantism that's existed there for centuries as a buttress to the prevailing social order, whether it was attempting to justify slavery in the 19th century, attempting to justify racism in the 20th century, or attempting to justify bombing the hell out of the Muslim world in the 21st century.

Then you have the Midwestern and Great Plains evangelicals, who tend to basically be theologically conservative Lutherans and Methodists with an extra impetus to "share their faith."
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:31 PM »

It depends on how we're defining what an evangelical is.

It's worth remembering that the evangelical movement as it exists today started in California of all places with Aimee Semple McPherson's Foursquare Gospel movement. That evangelicalism was tilted a lot more in the direction of populism and social justice - finding jobs for ex-convicts, making baby clothes for new mothers - and of things like faith healing that generally don't figure heavily into evangelical Christianity today.

Evangelical Christianity in the South isn't really much more than a rebranding of the Calvinist-infused Protestantism that's existed there for centuries as a buttress to the prevailing social order, whether it was attempting to justify slavery in the 19th century, attempting to justify racism in the 20th century, or attempting to justify bombing the hell out of the Muslim world in the 21st century.

Then you have the Midwestern and Great Plains evangelicals, who tend to basically be theologically conservative Lutherans and Methodists with an extra impetus to "share their faith."

Evangelicals get a bad reputation because of liberals and the liberal bias in the media. Most are good, caring people who want to spread God's word. Being in the south however leads to an exposure of racism and prejudice which turns spreading the Christian ways into condemning others who don't. Not all southern evangelicals are this way though. It has to do with cross-cultural contexualization.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »

You gotta remember that in the 1990s, American politics became more idealogical as opposed to partisan. Conservatives solidified in the GOP, liberals in the Democratic Party, and identifying as "Independent" rose. Culture wars, anyone?

And evangelicals are usually conservative, hence the swing to the GOP.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »

You gotta remember that in the 1990s, American politics became more idealogical as opposed to partisan. Conservatives solidified in the GOP, liberals in the Democratic Party, and identifying as "Independent" rose. Culture wars, anyone?

And evangelicals are usually conservative, hence the swing to the GOP.

Do you think they switched to the GOP because of politics though? I think the Democratic Party became very liberal on social issues and evangelicals had nowhere to go. Once they wandered to the Republican Party, they adapted to their stances on economics and foreign policy. If you look at the Democratic Party in the 1950's you'll find they were at least as conservative as the Republicans today. As they evolved on social issues, they lost evangelicals to the Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies