40 Republican quotes about rape in recent years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  40 Republican quotes about rape in recent years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 40 Republican quotes about rape in recent years  (Read 1576 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2013, 08:01:32 PM »

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/16/the-party-of-rape-culture-40-republican-rape-quotes-everyone-should-remember/#ixzz2ZG87WKmj

But I sure that these are a few isolated instances and in no way representative of the Republican Party these days.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »

#29 isn't really bad enough to belong on this list.  I still disagree with it of course, but it is a situation than can and should be remedied.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:13:22 PM »

Republicans could make a list to humiliate Democrats but we have better things to do. Do you actually believe every single Republican is in support of rape or lacks the least amount of sympathy? Or do you want others to think such a way so you say things so they arrive at such conclusions on their own? Or do you have nothing better to do? Did you come up with the list on your own or simply look for liberal propaganda to shove down others' throats? Do you find yourself influential?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »

Republicans could make a list to humiliate Democrats but we have better things to do. Do you actually believe every single Republican is in support of rape or lacks the least amount of sympathy? Or do you want others to think such a way so you say things so they arrive at such conclusions on their own? Or do you have nothing better to do? Did you come up with the list on your own or simply look for liberal propaganda to shove down others' throats? Do you find yourself influential?

Are these all rhetorical or should Harry just answer them in bullets?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:22:23 PM »

A lot of these really aren't that controversial. Several of them are variants of "rape is bad but abortion is murder and therefore worse". It's a somewhat common view.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

Surprised they didn't have John Koster's "The Rape Thing"
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »

A lot of these really aren't that controversial. Several of them are variants of "rape is bad but abortion is murder and therefore worse". It's a somewhat common view.

Democrats don't tolerate others' points of view. They only preach tolerance for themselves to be tolerated. It's all political.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »

Racism is somewhat common too.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 09:35:11 PM »

My favorite one is some girls rape so easy. That should be a 1960s Motown hit.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »

Which, specifically, are you OK with, and which do you disagree with?
Down the Gurney
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »

All I see are affirmations of support for life, some well intentioned innacuracies, and appropriate disapproval of slut-culture.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »

My favorite one is some girls rape so easy. That should be a 1960s Motown hit.

And these same conservatives would have the noose ready if those words came out of Sam Cooke's mouth.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:35:20 AM »

Obviously these aren't isolated cases. 3 Republican US Senate nominees last year is a definite pattern.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:10:47 AM »

All I see are affirmations of support for life making women's lives as miserable as possible, some well intentioned innacuracies reveling in ignorance of basic biology and anatomy, and appropriate disapproval of slut-culture blaming the victim.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »

I'm surprised that Tom Smith's rape comments got so little attention in November's senate election. They seem at least as bad/insensitive as Mourdock's and Akin's, both of whom were practically destroyed due to their comments.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »

http://dayswithoutagoprapemention.com/

This one has a list dating back to 1988.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 06:46:01 AM »

Which, specifically, are you OK with, and which do you disagree with?

I agree with 1, 6, 9, 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 22, 29, particularly the ones I bolded.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »

Rape is a horrible crime. It is an extreme violation of a person, an unwelcome assault in violation of persons. Nobody -- not even a prostitute - deserves to get raped.

Republicans may not be 'for' rape, but many of the statements shown demonstrate a trivialization of the crime. It is a violation of sexual freedom which includes the right to protect such chastity as one deserves in practice. As for "halter tops and short skirts", rapists could be excited by some of the most concealing of clothes. Even hostility toward men (as with a lesbian) could excite a rapist.

The basic rule is this: if she does not want sex, or she is in no position to resist or accept sex, then the penetration or attempted penetration is a rape. The rapist  often believes that he is God's Gift to Women, a delusion that civilized society must dispel in its teaching of morals and that it must not excuse in the judgment of convicted rapists.

It is worth noting that some of the most egregious serial killers are rapists.   

Most Republicans concur with this. Liberals have been proving themselves increasingly unsympathetic to crime of any kind. So how can anyone excuse rape or its unwelcome consequences?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

If by "unwelcome consquences" you mean a human life, then it isn't that difficult to "excuse" the preservation of said life. For one's freedoms end when it puts in jeapardy the life or property of another. For record I do support a rape exception, but only until the earliest point of possible viability.

The left seems to have no problem trivializing the sanctity of life the minute it comes to pleasing the Pro-Choice components thereof, but no one is outraged by that. I also find it troubling that now no politician can dare articulate a completely consistent message of life lest they possess the rhetorical skills of a Lincoln, without catching hell for it. I disagree with those who don't include an exception for rape, but I think they should be allowed to articulate that view without being driven from the political landscape as I find it to be founded on an legitimate basis even if I disagree with it.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »

If by "unwelcome consquences" you mean a human life, then it isn't that difficult to "excuse" the preservation of said life. For one's freedoms end when it puts in jeapardy the life or property of another. For record I do support a rape exception, but only until the earliest point of possible viability.

Undesired consequences include STDs and bad feelings for getting raped.

Any pregnancy, even a desired one, can go badly. For girls too young to bear a child safely but can't express (due to shame) what happened to them until a pregnancy is obvious, an abortion may be necessary for protecting the life and health (including reproductive health -- potential for subsequent pregnancies) of the child who got pregnant.   

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. The "anti-abortion" people are of course outraged.

2. Some people on the Left are vehemently anti-abortion.

3. As a liberal who respects life in the womb I would suggest legislation that prohibits the sale of intoxicating liquors to a pregnant woman to prevent fetal alcohol syndrome.

4. I prefer that abortion be available, safe... and rare.

As a liberal I prefer that children get objective learning about sexuality including unambiguous teaching that sex involving minors is completely wrong. Sexual freedom includes the right to choose chastity. Children need to recognize that without consent, sex is rape, a terrible and inexcusable crime. Abortion must be available in the event that something goes terribly wrong.

If an eleven-year-old girl is raped? She can't raise the baby, and if she carries the baby to term she may be unable to have another. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »

Undesired consequences include STDs and bad feelings for getting raped.

You didn't specify that before.

1. The "anti-abortion" people are of course outraged.

2. Some people on the Left are vehemently anti-abortion.

3. As a liberal who respects life in the womb I would suggest legislation that prohibits the sale of intoxicating liquors to a pregnant woman to prevent fetal alcohol syndrome.

I would agree with doing that.

As a liberal I prefer that children get objective learning about sexuality including unambiguous teaching that sex involving minors is completely wrong. Sexual freedom includes the right to choose chastity. Children need to recognize that without consent, sex is rape, a terrible and inexcusable crime. Abortion must be available in the event that something goes terribly wrong.

If an eleven-year-old girl is raped? She can't raise the baby, and if she carries the baby to term she may be unable to have another. 

I support a full term heath exception, we were only discussing the one in this thread and thus I only mentioned that exception. A woman too young to have child or a minor I would think is a special case that would fall almost certianly into the health exception for the reason you stated and as I said, I am not someone who is against reasonable exceptions where they are justifiable, which would include your last and first examples

The left seems to have no problem trivializing the sanctity of life the minute it comes to pleasing the Pro-Choice components thereof, but no one is outraged by that. I also find it troubling that now no politician can dare articulate a completely consistent message of life lest they possess the rhetorical skills of a Lincoln, without catching hell for it. I disagree with those who don't include an exception for rape, but I think they should be allowed to articulate that view without being driven from the political landscape as I find it to be founded on an legitimate basis even if I disagree with it.

It's to be expected that the pro-life crowd would have very different intuitions about some of these statements, but surely you and others can understand that these comments are genuinely disgusting for those of us who don't worship at the altar of the cult of the fetus?

Nixy, I cannot even load the list. It just freezes on my screen and stays that way. I only know of about five incidents and some of them I don't even know the exact quote in question.

I stated before that I thought Akin was stupid and disgusting. I thought those that defended his statements or worse, offered support for them, were are also disgusting like Gingrey did. Any comments about the "woman having invited it" is also outrageous, though I don't know the names of who said that. On the other hand I don't think Mourdock was anything but innarticulate (which I said at the time had the effect coming across as an inconsiderate, old man intruding into affairs of young women) and though I disagree with his position on the exception in question, I don't think it should have precluded his election to that seat.

It is not about the "worshipping at the alter of the fetus". Do you support aborting a baby that would be otherwise viable? I don't nor can I justify any reason other then the health of the mother for doing so. It becomes easy at that point, because it is no longer about when life begins that gets into questions of religion in politics, it is entirely about science. If the mother ever has the power of life and death over her child it most certainly ends there, if not before. Last I checked, vast majorities agree and that is how the Late-Term Abortion ban was passed.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 11:23:50 AM »

The Republican Party should be fined every time one of their elected officials mentions rape.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »

Rape is a horrible crime. It is an extreme violation of a person, an unwelcome assault in violation of persons. Nobody -- not even a prostitute - deserves to get raped.

Republicans may not be 'for' rape, but many of the statements shown demonstrate a trivialization of the crime. It is a violation of sexual freedom which includes the right to protect such chastity as one deserves in practice. As for "halter tops and short skirts", rapists could be excited by some of the most concealing of clothes. Even hostility toward men (as with a lesbian) could excite a rapist.

The basic rule is this: if she does not want sex, or she is in no position to resist or accept sex, then the penetration or attempted penetration is a rape. The rapist  often believes that he is God's Gift to Women, a delusion that civilized society must dispel in its teaching of morals and that it must not excuse in the judgment of convicted rapists.

Most Republicans concur with this. Liberals have been proving themselves increasingly unsympathetic to crime of any kind. So how can anyone excuse rape or its unwelcome consequences?

I'm with you and I believe both parties share the common view of how disgusting rape is. What upsets me is when liberals use rape for their political advantage to reach out to women.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

I'm with you and I believe both parties share the common view of how disgusting rape is. What upsets me is when liberals use rape for their political advantage to reach out to women.

Any politician who trivializes or condones rape violates a basic decency and deserves to be defeated for stupidity and insensitivity. Of course such a politician throws red meat to the Other Side in that specific election. Elsewhere? I think not. 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »

There's a fine line between criticizing what an opponent says and questioning him until he's clear and continuing to not let the issue go after things have been cleared up. It's almost as if the opponent of the gaffing candidate is using one's misfortune for their own political gain. I like responding to your posts by the way. You are one of the better informed and educated people on here. It's nice to meet you.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies