The Succession Game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:30:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Succession Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Succession Game  (Read 16430 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 04:55:29 AM »
« edited: July 26, 2013, 04:58:50 AM by SteveRogers »

*Breaking News*
White House Releases Proposal for Accelerated House  Elections
The Chu administration is reported to have originally supported a May election date, but after consultation with state governments, the White House is pushing the date back a month to allow more time for primary campaigns. The White House's memorandum proposes the following:
  • Special Elections to fill the remainder of all House terms should be held Saturday, June 8.
  • Given the need for an accelerated timeline for filling vacancies, there may not be time for both full-fledged primary AND general election campaigns. It is recommended that states utilize non-partisan blanket primaries (aka “jungle primaries”) with the top two finishers advancing to a runoff if no candidate receives a majority. Several states would normally conduct special elections in this way already.
  • Should runoff elections be required, they should take place on Saturday, June 22.
  • States still wishing to hold traditional party primaries should do so by the end of March

February 16, 2013

Republican Governor’s Association Meeting

Bobby Jindal presides over a meeting of the Republican Governors. Many have chosen to attend via Skype or conference call due to obvious wariness about having too many government officials in one place.

Jindal: Gentlemen, we’ve been charged with filling every single Senate seat. Now I have someone here who has a couple suggestions for how we can move forward. Someone who knows firsthand how the Senate operates. I’d like to give him the opportunity to speak here today.

Former Senator Jim DeMint of South Caronlina

Jim DeMint: Thank you for having me. It’s fallen on you, the Republican governors of the United States, to reconstitute the Senate. Due to the great tragedy that has befallen our nation, our party is now leaderless. Worse still, our country is effectively leaderless, run by a figurehead, a bureaucrat holdover from the Obama administration. We’ve been dealt a blow, but we’ve also been given an opportunity. You men now hold the power. YOU can rebuild the party. I ask that you do so in the name of real conservatism. I have a plan for taking back America that I’d like to put to you. I’m sure you’ve all heard that the new Senate President pro tempore will be able to claim the Presidency…

Susannah Martinez: It would look like we were stealing the presidency. Shouldn’t we wait for the House elections? We don’t have a mandate.

DeMint: No one knows what will happen in the House. Every seat is an open seat. We need to act now or the Senate and the House could find themselves in a race to elect a president. As for legitimacy, that’s a matter of framing. We’ll build a narrative that the Senate is fulfilling its constitutional duty to maintain the integrity of the line of succession.

Mike Pence: You know once we’ve appointed our Senators, we can’t just tell them what to do, right? Who are they going to put in power?

DeMint: Here’s what I’m proposing: First of all, we obviously need a Republican Senate. That shouldn’t be a problem. There are thirty of you.

Chris Christie: That’s an easy thing for you to say. I’ve got a blue state to run! What do you think happens to me if I replace two Democrats with two Republican Senators?

Scott Walker: Jim, I’d love to help, but Wisconsin law doesn’t allow me to appoint anyone.

DeMint: I’m sure something can be worked out. You all do what you have to do, but make sure the numbers come out on our side.

Next, don’t pick the usual benchwarmers you might send to D.C. for a temporary appointment. Even if these Senators are only in for a few months, they need to be men who are willing to take action and do what is necessary for the cause.

Finally, we need a candidate. A real conservative for once. We do it ourselves. Us. Here. Today. Once we choose a leader, you all send in Senators who can get them into the White House. We don’t need them to stay there forever. We all know what the real big prize here is. There are six Supreme Court seats to fill. With a conservative President and a Republican Senate to back him up, we can shape the future.

Next Time:
Senate Appointments begin to roll in.
Familiar faces make appearances on both sides
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 01:19:42 AM »

This is really great so far!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »

Glad people are liking it. I've been busy packing for a move the last week, so updates have been slow, but I'll try to post some minor updates over the next few days and then a big one this weekend.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »

Excellent! Loving how this is turning out!
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »

Great work! I'm a little worried at the rise of unchecked conservatism, but it seems logical in such a situation.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 06:19:02 PM »

Sorry for the delay. Here comes a big ol' update.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2013, 07:27:07 PM by SteveRogers »

Sunday, February 17, 2013
State Funerals are held for President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, Speaker Boehner, and various other officials.

*Breaking News*

February 19

*New Jersey Governor Chris Christie to appoint Republican Jeffrey Chiesa and Democrat Cory Booker to Senate, cites “Need for bipartisan cooperation”*

February 20
*Delaware Governor Jack Markell will Appoint Attorney General Beau Biden to Senate Seat Once Held by Father*

Markell expected to fill Delaware’s second senate seat with another Democrat as well.

February 21
*Jim DeMint to Return to Senate*

South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley will appoint DeMint to seat he resigned from just over a month ago.

“I left to pursue other avenues for furthering the conservative cause, but in this time of crisis I’m happy to return to the Senate to serve my country, my state, and my party for as long as I am needed.”

Other Headlines from February 18-23
*WI Governor Scott Walker to ask legislature for emergency appointment power.
*AK Gov seeks clarification from courts on appointment powers.
*Governors from CA, CO, CT, MD, VT, WA each announce two Democratic Senate appointees
*Governors from AL, AZ, ID, KS, LA, ME, TN each announce two Republican Senate appointees
*Before the week’s end, 15 state legislatures will convene emergency sessions to take up legislation related to the Chu Administration’s election proposal. State laws in a majority of the states allow enough flexibility in calling special elections to comply with the proposal without additional legislation.

February 25, 2013
The White House

Chu: Thanks for agreeing to come back. I know you were looking forward to retirement. So was I. We’re in a whole other world now. I’m afraid I’m a bit of a fish out of water when it comes to foreign policy, and I can’t appoint a secretary of state or defense right now. I need someone with experience, and the people need continuity

Hillary Clinton: I’ll do what I have to for the good of the country.

*Breaking News*
Acting President Chu names Hillary Clinton National Security Advisor.

PolitiJunkie

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »

Nice update.
Old Man Svensson
Wyodon

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »

February 25, 2013

Makeup of the U.S. Senate based on current appointment announcements:

Republicans: 18
Democrats: 15

“Haha no, and people keep asking me, so let me make myself perfectly clear: I do not believe I am currently the Speaker of the House.”
-   Rep. John Kline R-Minnesota

“I don’t think it’s appropriate to start talking about electing a Senate President pro tem. until we’ve got as many senators here as possible.”
-   Senator Rand Paul R-KY 

PPP National Poll 2/25/13
“How do you think the remainder of Barack Obama’s presidential term should be filled?”

Steven Chu Should remain acting President- 20%
The new House of Representatives should select a president- 29%
The new Senate should select a president- 24%
Unsure- 27%

Atlanta, Georgia

Governor Nathan Deal: I just can’t do it.

Newt Gingrich: Look, I’ve rebuilt the party before, and I can do it again. I just need you to put me in play. I have the most legislative experience. I was Speaker of the House…

Deal: Newt, you haven’t held office since the 90s. What am I supposed to do with that?

Gingrich: Yeah, well most of the people with more recent experience in congress aren’t exactly available anymore. I’m the most qualified person you have left. Plus, you know the people of Georgia supported me just a year ago.

Deal: The answer is no, Newt.

AP- February 27
Georgia Governor Makes Senate Appointments
Governor Nathan Deal of Georgia Announces the Appointment of Republicans Randy Evans and Casey Cagle to the U.S. Senate.

AP- February 27
Newt Gingrich to Seek Old House Seat

In a press conference scheduled at the same time as Governor Deal’s, former Speaker Newt Gingrich announced his candidacy in the race for the vacant seat in Georgia’s 6th Congressional District. Gingrich was first elected to the 6th district in 1978 and held the seat up until his resignation from Congress and the Speakership in 1999.

March 1, 2013
CNN

John King: It’s been another interesting, if at times surreal week in American politics as the country struggles to put its government back together. Even as Capitol police are just beginning their work preparing the Walter E. Washington Convention Center for use as a temporary meeting place for congress, the new Senate is already taking shape.

Just today Texas governor Rick Perry announced the selection of Lt. Governor David Dewhurst and state Attorney General Greg Abbott to represent the Lone Star State.

David Dewhurst (R-TX)

Greg Abbott (R-TX)

The new Senate will also see the return of some more old faces. Earlier this week Pennsylvania governor Tom Corbett tapped former Senator Rick Santorum to return to the senate.

“It’s good to be back. I’ve got valuable experience I think I can share with the new Senate, and I hope to help put the country back on track.”

Indiana will also see two former Senators return. Governor Mike Pence announced the appointment of Republican Richard Lugar and Democrat Evan Bayh. In a joint press conference Lugar and Bayh both pledged to serve only until their replacements can be elected by the people of Indiana.

Dick Lugar (R-IN)

Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Though not a former Senator, Howard Dean of Vermont represents another familiar face in American politics join the ranks of the “emergency Senate”.

Howard Dean (D-VT)

As in Indiana, the governors of Arkansas, Iowa, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, and Virginia have promised to honor the results of their previous elections by appointing one Democrat and one Republican each. Not all of those governors have announced the identities of those picks yet.

Finally, sources tell us that the governors in Oklahoma and Oregon will not seek changes to their states’ laws prohibiting them from making senate appointments.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »

Senate Composition as of March 1, 2013

Republicans: 33
Democrats: 24

March 2, 2013
Huffington Post:
“Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell will Appoint One Democrat and One Self to Senate”

Republican Governor Bob McDonnell last week publicly pledged to send a bipartisan pair of Senators to D.C. to replace fill the seats vacated Democrats Warner and Kaine. While McDonnell seems intent on keeping his word, in a shocking, bold, and sure to be controversial move, the Republican Governor is expected to appoint a democrat to the Senate and then resign as governor. McDonnell will be succeeded by Lt. Governor Bill Bolling who is expected to in turn appoint McDonnell to the remaining Senate Seat.

Helena, Montana

“I’m happy to accept the governor’s request to serve Montana as a U.S. Senator for the time being. I have not made a decision about running in the special election yet.”
-Sen. Brian Schweitzer (D-MT)

Sacramento, California

“No one want to get to the Senate this way, but it will be an honor to serve.”
-Sen. Gavin Newsom (D-CA)

March 3

New York Times:
“Wisconsin Legislature Approves Legislation Allowing Senate Appointments. Gov. Walker to Appoint Tommy Thompson and Rebecca Kleefisch”

Fox News
“Would I accept if Governor Parnell asked me to? Oh, you betcha!”
-Sarah Palin

Anchorage Daily News:
“Governor Parnell Will Not Attempt to Make Senate Appointments”

March 4

Politico:
“Florida Governor Rick Scott to tap Allen West for Senate”

“Yes, I believe in this case we have a constitutional and legal duty to choose an acting president, and I intend to help do just that when I get back to D.C. The better question is, ‘do we have to pick someone in the Senate?’ “
-Sen. Allen West (R-FL)

March 6

Sheppard Smith: And with the announcement that Ohio Governor John Kasich will appoint two Republicans, we are now prepared to project that Republicans have won control of the United States Senate.

Composition of the Reconstituted Senate

Republicans: 52
Democrats: 42

March 7, 2013
CNN

Wolf Blitzer: Tomorrow the newly reconstituted Senate of the 113th Congress, which many are now dubbing the “Meteor Senate”, will meet for the first time. Before disaster struck the capitol on February 15th, Democrats controlled the Senate with a 54 seat majority. Now, in a stunning reversal the new Senate will consist of 52 Republicans and 42 Democrats. As the governors of Oklahoma, Oregon, and Alaska cannot appoint Senators to fill vacancies, their Senate seats will remain vacant for the time being. Republicans only needed 48 seats to control the chamber.

The new Senate is an odd mix for sure. Many of the appointees are merely temporary placeholders; loyal party members with no intention to run for election in their own right. Others are seen as potential rising stars in their parties and may represent the next generation of American politics. Still other Senators may be known to Americans already. Several governors saw fit to appoint individuals with a great deal of experience but who may have been out of the limelight for some time. Some of them will play an “elder statesman” role; providing guidance to the chamber until permanent replacements can be elected. Others might be plotting political comebacks of sorts. Whatever their backgrounds, all of these Senators have a tough job ahead of them.

So far most of the new appointees have been silent on the big question that must be on every American’s mind: Who will be the next president? As viewers who have paid attention to our legal analysts know, the laws governing the line of succession would allow the Senate to choose a Senate President pro tempore who could potentially oust Acting President Chu and claim the Oval Office. Mr. Chu’s White House has so far not issued an official statement regarding this issue.

But before the Senate gets around to the business of picking a president, the parties are expected to convene their respective caucuses for closed-door leadership elections. We’ll be bringing you up-to-the-minute coverage of those proceedings beginning tomorrow.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:55 PM »

SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »

Chapter 2: The Game of the Century

March 8, 2013

CNN
5pm EST

Wolf Blitzer: It’s a historic day in Washington D.C. This morning the Walter E. Washington Convention Center opened its doors to the newly appointed class of United States Senators.

Walter E. Washington Convention Center- Temporary Meeting Place of 113th Congress

Wolf: Following a brief opening session, Republicans and Democrats broke off into meetings amongst their respective caucuses to elect their party leaders. Both parties have been unusually tight-lipped about the proceedings. Whoever the Republican Majority Leader turns out to be will command an impressive, though not filibuster-proof, majority in the Senate. We are not expecting that decision to come until tomorrow. Several sources confirm that while nominating speeches took place today during the Republican conference, a motion to delay the actual vote was successfully passed.

Democrats on the other hand have been meeting all day, and results of their leadership elections are expected any time now.

Public fascination with the “Meteor Senate” has focused on whether or not the Republican majority will attempt to oust Acting President Steven Chu and install their own president. Up until now, the Chu White House had been silent on the matter, but this morning President Chu’s Press Secretary released a copy of a memo from White House Counsel Kathryn Ruemmler challenging the constitutionality of allowing a new Senate President pro tempore to replace Mr. Chu as acting president.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
-   Excerpt from memorandum issued by White House Counsel Kathryn Ruemmler

8pm

*Dean Chosen as Senate Minority Leader*
Anderson Cooper: CNN can confirm that Senate Democrats have elected Howard Dean to be their party leader in the Senate. Senator Dean, who has previously been the Governor of Vermont, a presidential candidate, and Chairman of the DNC, is well known among Democrats and followers of American politics.

We’re also receiving word that Cory Booker of New Jersey will be the Senate Minority Whip. Booker, formerly the mayor of Newark, had already been considered the likely frontrunner for the 2014 Senate election in New Jersey prior to his appointment to the Senate.

Dean and Booker are both expected to appear at a joint press conference shortly.   

Politico:
A Republican Senator who wishes to remain anonymous tells Politico that today’s leadership vote was delayed after it became clear that a majority leader would not be elected on the first ballot. Jim DeMint is allegedly the frontrunner, but Rand Paul and a scattering of other candidates demonstrated enough support to prevent DeMint from immediately capturing 27 votes.

PPP National Poll- March 8, 2013
“How do you think the remainder of Barack Obama’s presidential term should be filled?”

Steven Chu Should remain acting President- 14%
The new House of Representatives should select a president- 38%
The new Senate should select a president- 30%
Unsure- 18%

Other Headlines:
*Almost all states are now expected to hold special congressional elections on June 8. About half will utilize a blanket primary while the other half will hold traditional primaries in late March or April.
*North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un threatens pre-emptive nuclear war against United States following a new round of UN sanctions. The U.S. currently has no formal representative at the UN, but National Security Advisor Hillary Clinton was heavily involved in behind the scenes negotiations with China regarding the sanctions. 
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »

Oh God! The suspense is killing me!
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »

I'm sad that so few want Chu to stay President Sad

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »

Rand Paul for Majority Leader! Very interesting TL.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 01:41:41 PM »

I'm sad that so few want Chu to stay President Sad

Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 04:20:35 AM »

I hope you throw in a twist and elect someone who isn't a crazy republican. Also, who is NC senators?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »

and whos the other FL senator?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »

Update forthcoming. Some computer problems have caused delays.

I hope you throw in a twist and elect someone who isn't a crazy republican. Also, who is NC senators?

I'll try to reveal some more Senators as I go on. I have a list of as many plausible appointees as I could come up with, but it just wasn't practical to do in-depth research on the state-level political actors in all 50 states. If not otherwise mentioned, the other senators should just be assumed to be a loyal "yes man" from the governor's administration (or in some cases token placeholders from the rival party), i.e. not particularly noteworthy or charismatic, not necessarily seeking re-election.   

I'm open to suggestions about who the governors in states whose senators have not yet identified might appoint. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 10:34:03 AM »

Also remember regarding Florida, since Rubio gave the GOP response its likely he also survived like Rand Paul.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »

Also remember regarding Florida, since Rubio gave the GOP response its likely he also survived like Rand Paul.

Yes, but Rubio gave his response from a conference room in the Capitol, so...
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »

John Kitzhaber, governor of Oregon and Tim Cook, CEO of Apple attend the state of union as well.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:39 PM »

I hope Trey Gowdy is the other senator from South Carolina.  Anyway, this is awesome.  You  should continue, and update soon. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies