Abortion Ban - Your vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:41:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abortion Ban - Your vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you support or oppose a ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy ?
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Abortion Ban - Your vote  (Read 2547 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2013, 10:43:54 PM »

In my opinion the 20 week mark does not go far enough, but moving in the right direction. When there is an abortion takes away more than just a life, it takes away the potential for a future, good or bad. People like to talk about how the women would be robbed of choice and forced into a certain future, but what of the potential future for the unborn?

I know because I am male I clearly cannot go through the same things as women and see 100% the same as them, but as a human I just cannot see the justification in robbing a life of its future and potential.

If you're concerned with potential future, then condoms and birth control pills are just as much of a problem as abortion. LOL, even sexual abstinence deprives potential lifes of their future.

Indeed. This is a bad argument.

There's a difference between the potential for a future in an entity that exists and in an entity that does not exist.

However, there is no one definition that divides what exists from what does not exist and when there is a consensus, it is always arbitrary or offensive in one way or another.

Do you find abortion offensive?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2013, 10:50:59 PM »

In my opinion the 20 week mark does not go far enough, but moving in the right direction. When there is an abortion takes away more than just a life, it takes away the potential for a future, good or bad. People like to talk about how the women would be robbed of choice and forced into a certain future, but what of the potential future for the unborn?

I know because I am male I clearly cannot go through the same things as women and see 100% the same as them, but as a human I just cannot see the justification in robbing a life of its future and potential.

If you're concerned with potential future, then condoms and birth control pills are just as much of a problem as abortion. LOL, even sexual abstinence deprives potential lifes of their future.

There's a difference between the potential for a future in an entity that exists and in an entity that does not exist.

However, there is no one definition that divides what exists from what does not exist and when there is a consensus, it is always arbitrary or offensive in one way or another.

Huh?  I exist - is that statement arbitrary and offensive?  A fetus either exists or does not.  If it does, it exists as a particular and not just an abstraction, and so has a potential for a future as a specific individual.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 11:19:42 PM »

Huh?  I exist - is that statement arbitrary and offensive?  A fetus either exists or does not.  If it does, it exists as a particular and not just an abstraction, and so has a potential for a future as a specific individual.

But what makes one exist?

That's like me asking you if you find anything else offensive out of the blue. Do you find opebo offensive?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 11:49:28 PM »

That's like me asking you if you find anything else offensive out of the blue. Do you find opebo offensive?

No but you randomly said giving a definition of existence is offensive. Aside from it opening up a huge can of worms for a philosophical debate, it doesn't sound as offensive as ending one's right to life. My question was not meant to come across as random.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »

the sperm and the egg met up and do a dance wherein they combine - that's usually how it works.   I guess I can't rule out the preexistence of souls if that's what you're getting at, but I never understood how that's supposed to work. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies