Experiences with Depression
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:20:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Experiences with Depression
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Have you ever experienced depression?
Yes - diagnosed

Yes - not diagnosed

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Experiences with Depression  (Read 2160 times)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
« edited: March 23, 2017, 07:59:43 PM by Clarko95 »

How did you answer the poll? If yes, what caused your depression? How did you deal with it? Do you feel you've learned anything from it?  
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »

I'v experienced every symptom of depression, but it's more of a lifelong thing that started around age 13. So when doctors say depression is a 6 month to 2 year condition, that was the only time I began to doubt my experience is what they are talking about. However I was diagnosed by at least one psychologist and psychiatrist, who claim that I have a form of depression that comes and goes. I still think I experience it relatively constantly, however.

I am still not convinced that my condition is just a chemical imbalance and not a result of certain conditions in my life. I honestly think I would be happier with more social expectations, more responsibilities from people, and less freedom. And just more human interaction in general. I have mild aspergers-style difficulty reading people and communicating, as well as being on the extreme end of the spectrum in terms of interests.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »

I would guess most everybody has moments when they are sad for no good reason, I've certainly been there, but I think I'm too lazy to be depressed for very long.  Seems like a lot of time and work, time and work I need to spend playing video games.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »

I'v experienced every symptom of depression, but it's more of a lifelong thing that started around age 13. So when doctors say depression is a 6 month to 2 year condition, that was the only time I began to doubt my experience is what they are talking about. However I was diagnosed by at least one psychologist and psychiatrist, who claim that I have a form of depression that comes and goes. I still think I experience it relatively constantly, however.

I am still not convinced that my condition is just a chemical imbalance and not a result of certain conditions in my life. I honestly think I would be happier with more social expectations, more responsibilities from people, and less freedom. And just more human interaction in general. I have mild aspergers-style difficulty reading people and communicating, as well as being on the extreme end of the spectrum in terms of interests.
Everything in life is chemicals. Seriously. Everything. But if you want to meet people, go meet people. Join a church or a civic group or whatever. Volunteer for a cause near to your heart.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »

Everything in life is chemicals. Seriously. Everything. But if you want to meet people, go meet people. Join a church or a civic group or whatever. Volunteer for a cause near to your heart.

That's the thing. I kind of have to be forced to meet people. It's weird. On the one hand, if I had more social interaction every day, I'd be more motivated and less depressed. On the other hand, I don't want to interact with people.

The best analogy I suppose is work- over the long run, you're financially better off if you have a job, but you don't want to go to work. You have to be forced into it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:12 AM »

Yes, and I believe it was diagnosed.  It probably started when I was about 10, and after I was put on some antidepressants (Zoloft and Prozac), I felt much better.  I still have periods where I feel depressed, but it's much better than it used to be, when I was afraid to even leave my house except to go to school.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 08:15:43 AM »

Yep, all better now.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 08:26:30 AM »

Yes, in my early 20's.  Took some mild meds and got counseling for a while, and it all worked itself out.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »

Yes - undiagnosed (primarily because my mom refuses to get me tested and would refuse to get me medication if i needed it)

I've attempted suicide multiple times and have gone through a severe identity crisis. I couldn't find anything I wanted to live for and I figured I wouldn't live past graduating high school. Living was futile for me and I just couldn't have fun doing anything.

I eventually pulled through with a lot of help from my friends and girlfriend. I'm doing just fine now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

I don't like to go far into my medical history on the internet, but yes - severe depression (diagnosed).  I have been on anti-depressants since December, and I'll probably be on them forever.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

Nope. Never. Or at least, not that I'm aware...
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

Yes, in fact just in the past year... long story short here's what it is:

Old friends having to go away, cool TV shows that I like having to go off the air, not athletic ie not able to run very fast and/or long, bored a lot of the time, loneliness, actually at one time after the election I was really sad that Romney lost and the teachers at my school (well, actually two of them) mocked me and didn't care about it at all, in my words: "The nice way to say shut up you stupid retarded crybaby." Yeah, oh did I mention all the horribleness in that school that I went to... they are planning to make it a High School... Anyways relating to school wise I'm actually going to a new school and soon (like in one or two years) I'm going to the new school's high school where one of my old friends (who soon I might make a timeline on) is going to be at... anyways I am hoping to visit another of my old friend (who is my best friend since we were in Kindergarten) in probably two or three weeks...

oh and guys, please don't make this thread into a "Whats Enderman's age?" Thread, this one is
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »

No. I've been very close to it, with my Asperger's and all but I've been able to stay off the edge. Coming out to myself and my friends at a young age, staying sociable, physically active and escaping religious baggage has helped me a great deal. Simple adjustments to your day can make all the difference.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »

Nope. Never. Or at least, not that I'm aware...
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 01:21:21 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2013, 07:19:23 PM by Beware of chickens »

Dude, you need a hug. Badly. And from someone totally hot.

(To the OP)

Anyway, I've been too emotional about things when I was young, but that was probably just taking my life too seriously combined with overall being a teenager.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

I was diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety when I was 11. My experiences and psyche became worse as I got older and I ended up homeless for a period of time just as I was in my senior year of high school. I attempted to commit suicide twice. The first time when I was 19 and again at 20. I was always despondent over my weight and being completely rejected all the time. I was just so tired of being alone and unwanted by well, pretty much by everyone.

To this day, I still have days where I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness, even though my life isn't nearly as bad as it once was. A lot of the reason I still come here is because I often have no one else to talk to.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:51 PM »

Here comes the Sanchez sob story.

I have depression, and am diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, which basically means I want to have normal social relationships but am terrified of rejection and humiliation, as well as major anger issues. People who know me say it is because I have an autistic brother who was first institutionalized and then put into a group home, but that is not it at all. In fact, my brother’s autism is just a fact of life and is rarely in my mind since he was placed in the home a few years ago. That worked out great for him (he has a chance at living semi independently now and loves it there) and frankly, it is good that every function of my life is no longer tied around his circumstances.

From the time I first went to school when I was three or four up until seventh grade, I was constantly the target of harassment, and bullying. I have a lot of hate and anger in me, and I react angrily, loudly, and at times violently when provoked. My white nationalist phase was an attempt to purge this hate, but when I was forced to reject white nationalism to keep my beloved personal philosophy straight, I had to refocus that hate and have since grown angrier and at times very paranoid.

Around seventh grade, my relationship with my mother deteriorated, and we still constantly fight. She seems to have a sadistic pleasure in provoking me intentionally, and was never any help to me throughout the times I was being bullied in school, often blaming my appearance or my generally awkward manner for it, which may have been true, but it still angers me. Last October things got so bad between us that she threatened to have me institutionalized and sent me to a shrink who I have seen in the past. That has helped me to some degree, though my mom and I did have a physical altercation a few months back.

My late grandmother was a product of the depression and a mentally unstable mother, and was the giver and receiver of a lot of negative stuff in her life, and was verbally abusive to just about everyone she met, including me, which also has caused a lifelong distrust of most in my family. To top it off, I have to spend a week with my asshole second cousins every summer somewhere in North Carolina or Myrtle Beach or wherever. They tried to convince me that I was autistic last summer, which infuriated me. This summer I decided I will not put myself through that. My family is in North Carolina right now. Not one person besides my other grandmother tried to convince me to go, but when my brother decided he might not want to go, everyone bombarded him with calls and texts begging him to go. That’s all the proof I need right there.

I tried suicide a few times, but my attempts were not competent at all. I swallowed right Tylenols thinking it would kill me, and nothing happened. I tried to hang myself and just fell to the floor. I am too much a coward to cut my wrists for fear of pain, and I don’t have access to a gun to shoot myself. So while I have suicidal fantasies, I am completely secure in the fact that I won’t do it.

Long story short, I don’t trust many people, I’m paranoid, I’m filled with hate, and I’m filled with anger. Don’t forget the required drama and pretentions of being a teenager are also involved. My advice is find something you like.

I worked on a congressional campaign for nine months with a staff of people all in their twenties. I was with people who I enjoyed being with, and they were very decent with me, going out of their way to educate me on everything from college parties to congressional redistricting. I also met a few people through doing school plays as a stage assistant, and working at a food kitchen (I need to get started on that, my job got in the way of that at the beginning of this summer). I also go on long four-five mile walks each day, which has given me some neat life experiences. For example, I have befriended an elderly Vietnam veteran who lost his leg in the war. I walk past him every day, and over time have started talking to him a bit longer than the usual hello and have learnt about his life, political and religious views, etc. It’s a neat experience. I have been looking for a new job since I was fired due to a conspiracy in the kitchen “laid off” and have applied at several funeral homes and a graveyard oddly enough. I find that type of eccentric work to be a bit of extra “fun” that can be added into my life to make me a bit happier.

Sometimes you gotta make yourself be happy, and once you do, the happiness becomes genuine.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33:56 PM »

I was once depressed...then I just took a good look in the mirror...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »

I was depressed through my teenage years. I was dealing with alcoholism in my family and my own sexual identity crisis. Things got better through my 20's. Then 2 weeks before I turned 30 my brother committed suicide. That was a little less then 2 years ago and I don't think I've been 'okay' since.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:47 PM »

Depression does suck, and what sucks more are people who can't fathom why anyone would ever be depressed.

However, as far as depression and anxiety go, getting out of your own head somehow is very helpful, even though it does take a lot of effort and patience sometimes. I know this from experience.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 03:18:46 AM »

Yes, and it's been diagnosed by a physician. And I do take medication for it. I'd say it's helped quite a bit. It's not 100% perfect, but I feel a lot better on it than I did before. A lot of people have problems with psychiatric medications, but I'm fortunate enough to have something that works pretty well and without side-effects. I'll leave it at that.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 08:08:15 AM »

No, but I promise you (being anyone with depression) that however you're feeling gets better with the right medication and through methods of approaching life and problems in a healthy way. Just get proper help if you need it - none of this "self-diagnosis" and self-medicating bullsh**t. Find a good doctor and get a good support network in place. And don't be afraid of going into psychiatric hospitals - usually it's the best place to find out what medication will make you feel normal again and more than that.

Real depression and other mental illnesses due to chemical imbalances are very real and need to be addressed and taken seriously in America, and the stigmas need to stop. The brain is an insanely complex organ that is susceptible to problems just like any other bodily organ. If you feel chronically wrong, get professional help instead of googling.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 08:40:57 AM »

Yes, diagnosed. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2013, 10:05:50 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

No, I have not suffered from depression and everyday am thankful for my overall health. It breaks my heart to read some of the stories here - the only thing I can add is that my dad suffered a bit from it and I watched him withdraw from his friends and most of the family. It was quite sad.

Medicine is, simply put, chemistry that makes life easier. Depression is not just being down one day or maybe suffering from lethargy the next, real depression is borderline debilitating. In the event that one has access, a psychiatrist should be taken advantage of. It not only makes your life easier, but the lives of those around you as well.

No, but I promise you (being anyone with depression) that however you're feeling gets better with the right medication and through methods of approaching life and problems in a healthy way. Just get proper help if you need it - none of this "self-diagnosis" and self-medicating bullsh**t. Find a good doctor and get a good support network in place. And don't be afraid of going into psychiatric hospitals - usually it's the best place to find out what medication will make you feel normal again and more than that.

Real depression and other mental illnesses due to chemical imbalances are very real and need to be addressed and taken seriously in America, and the stigmas need to stop. The brain is an insanely complex organ that is susceptible to problems just like any other bodily organ. If you feel chronically wrong, get professional help instead of googling.

Absolutely - extremely well said. And with about 100 trillion neural connections in the brain and their pathways, the brain and its evolved layers are together staggeringly complex - it's actually little wonder that consciousness arises from it.

rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 10:06:36 AM »

Never.

Depression does suck, and what sucks more are people who can't fathom why anyone would ever be depressed.

However, as far as depression and anxiety go, getting out of your own head somehow is very helpful, even though it does take a lot of effort and patience sometimes. I know this from experience.

Well it is an alien feeling for many. I was involved with a manic type for a while and it was one of the most exhausting and one-sided relationships I've ever been in. I know better than to give someone the get-over-it speech because that is silly and simplifying on a ridiculous scale, but I understand the frustration that would lead someone to it. As an 'outsider' I was and continue to be ill-equipped for such a draining situation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies