SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:13:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Basic Income Guarantee (Law'd)  (Read 10602 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
« edited: October 18, 2013, 04:17:15 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Gass3268
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

The sponsor of course has 24 hours to start advocating for this.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »

Didn't you just send me a PM telling me you were concerned about the deficit...?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »

I'm trying to think of something to add to what President Nix said, but I think he knocked it out of park on the benefits of establishing this program. 
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »

So am I to assume this credit would make up the difference if a person were to earn less than that?

The first program you would want to look at is the minimum wage and find some way to incorporate that into the this bill, thus to achieve a more comprehensive approach. I believe I said that previously when you PMed me on this matter a month or two ago. I would also cast a wide net for any other such credits or deductions created or maintained towards acheiving or partially acheiving without actually attaining the goal of this measure, so as to either, incoporate, consolidate or eliminate the duplicativeness involved.

I think we need to find ways to maintain productivity and innovation that drive the economy, or at the very least seek to neutralize any negative impact, however small that might be. For we will certainly need the growth to pay for this.

As for $1.5 trillion per year, that is a really large amount of money to find. Did you have any ideas, at least initially, Mr. President and/or Sponsor?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »

This totals out to $26,000 per year if I did my math right, which is great and all, but might we make it a higher individual benefit, for those who aren't married? Or at least allow single people the ability to claim more?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »

Raising the estate tax is a non-starter with me.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »

Because that money was already taxed.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

No
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »

Different sort of income taxes doesn't make it taxed twice- it's taxed at once, and then its yours to do as you please with. Unfortunately, death is a part of life that can't be controlled. It doesn't mean you deserve to get hit with a heavy tax because you die. Many families rely on that.

It would be wiser economically to bring back that 60% tax rate on the super wealthy.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 02:26:57 PM »

A couple thoughts. The thing about the deficit and deficit panic is, I don't see that it's terribly helpful or healthy to run a surplus if people aren't feeling it - in other words, if it is beneficial to people in the financial district, if you will, or if it simply looks like good housekeeping, it's not necessarily so if people are needy. If running a deficit in the near term helps people - then it's worth it, and by guaranteeing a minimum income that is reasonable you can count on people to spend more in relatively predictable patterns (which is not like a miniscule tax cut or a little extra lump in April, of which the poor will never feel) and to contribute to a deeper, wider tax base. So this is both humanitarian and healthy when considering the long term.

Raising the inheritance tax on certain upper brackets should be and could be on the table, if it's not already been done.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 02:36:07 PM »

I could perhaps support this if we completely eliminated all other forms of personal assistance financial aid (not necessarily things like subsidized student loans but things like SNAP or Section Cool, but with a number of other subsidies $10k is beyond the basic needs of most individuals.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 03:07:45 PM »

I could perhaps support this if we completely eliminated all other forms of personal assistance financial aid (not necessarily things like subsidized student loans but things like SNAP or Section Cool, but with a number of other subsidies $10k is beyond the basic needs of most individuals.

The issue is than this is screwing everyone which is poor, but wins just over the threshold for basic income.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 03:20:27 PM »

The issue is than this is screwing everyone which is poor, but wins just over the threshold for basic income.

The bill as written contains no such threshold. I would like to add one (hence my earlier reference to "means testing,") but it will need to be structured in steps to avoid creating a "donut hole" and to maintain some incentive to work.

So, every person gets at 10,000$ tax credit, even if they are a billionnaire? That's totally insane.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »

The bill as written contains no such threshold. I would like to add one (hence my earlier reference to "means testing,") but it will need to be structured in steps to avoid creating a "donut hole" and to maintain some incentive to work.

So, every person gets at 10,000$ tax credit, even if they are a billionnaire? That's totally insane.

Only if that billionaire does not take any other tax deductions, which isn't a terribly likely scenario.  Also I doubt there are any billionaires in Atlasia because with all the laws on the books I'm pretty sure the top effective tax rate is well over 100%.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2013, 05:48:48 PM by Senator Napoleon »

Do you support the basic idea of a basic income?

Simply put, no. I don't oppose the basic idea either.

I'm very flexible on these sort of things and if the package that is up for a vote satisfies the positive arguments made in favor of the proposal it's likely I'd vote for it. If it appears to be a fatally flawed, overpriced disaster, I'll have to vote No. At this point, I'd prefer to remain undecided until any kinks are worked out of the bill.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2013, 01:07:33 AM by Senator Sbane »

I am open to this but I must ask, why isn't the EITC sufficient? Also do you only get this if you work, or is everyone eligible? I don't think I would be able to support that.

In terms of paying for it, I would be hesitant to raise the income tax too much. I would be more open to raising the estate tax, but I doubt that would raise much revenue. I think we need to cut other programs to pay for the bulk of it.

And of course we need to restrict this to those who actually need it. Very important.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 01:13:04 AM »

I am open to this but I must ask, why isn't the EITC sufficient?

Yeah I'd like to see more info on this head-to-head comparison style. I think I saw one argument regarding the EITC being a lump sum that doesn't lend well to long-term usefulness, but I'm not sure how credible that is.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We could probably get away with restoring the 60% tax bracket. For personal reasons, I would naturally oppose the estate tax but also logically I just don't see value in raising it.

There are programs we could cut, sure, especially the non-essentials and programs that would be less necessary due to the guaranteed income. You almost have to wonder if this is something that could be experimented with at the regional level first, for examination, but I don't really see a region that would be plausible in.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »

I favor the estate tax over the income tax because we should keep taxes low on those who are currently working and making a lot of money over their kids and family. Rich kids already have a lot more opportunities than others, and if they use it to make the big bucks I would rather keep their taxes low than those who just want to get the inheritance. All that being said, the estate tax really doesn't generate a lot of revenue and won't help us pay for this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 05:54:14 AM »

Nix, nice charts, but you have directly inserted RL US data into the game that has undoubtedly been altered by our economic policies over the past several years including the fact that we did have a 60% tax bracket for quite a while as well as more support programs and of course national healthcare. Not saying it has been elimianted, but I would be inclined to say that the stituation is different from what it is in the US.

A couple thoughts. The thing about the deficit and deficit panic is, I don't see that it's terribly helpful or healthy to run a surplus if people aren't feeling it - in other words, if it is beneficial to people in the financial district, if you will, or if it simply looks like good housekeeping, it's not necessarily so if people are needy. If running a deficit in the near term helps people - then it's worth it, and by guaranteeing a minimum income that is reasonable you can count on people to spend more in relatively predictable patterns (which is not like a miniscule tax cut or a little extra lump in April, of which the poor will never feel) and to contribute to a deeper, wider tax base. So this is both humanitarian and healthy when considering the long term.

Raising the inheritance tax on certain upper brackets should be and could be on the table, if it's not already been done.

I would be inclined to say that we are in no danger of running a surplus anytime soon as it is. Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »

I am unsure about raising taxes at this present juncture. They would have to be delayed in terms of implementation, but even then the effect could still be significant.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »

No! Not the estate tax!
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »

What's wrong with the estate tax? I didn't realize that a number of Senators were in favor of the existing caste system that the estate tax seeks to combat. If we have to raise the estate tax to pay for this, so be it. Better yet, why not just get rid of all inheritance while we're at it and funnel it into a general fund that would pay out a universal basic income every week?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »

What is the argument against the estate tax? It is double taxation but we are taxed multiple times on many occasions. Why should multi million dollar inheritances go untouched?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:29 PM »

Its immoral of course. But either way, you'd have to be extremely naive to think that the so-called rich wouldn't just find a way around it (not that its an efficient way to raise revenue as it is).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies