I have been named moderator (or co-moderator) of this board. I'd like to thank Al and Dave for this opportunity, and extend wider thanks to Al for all the time he's spent in moderating this board over the years, maintaining it as the best board on the forum and for his contributions to threads on here.
I will seek to maintain Al's 'legacy' on here, and I intend to largely stick to his principles applied on this board. This is a good board and great crowd, so I don't envision there being any problems as on some other boards.
Here are a few clarifications on how intend stuff to work out, and general preferences/principles.Personal Preferences and Principles
1. Please indicate the country and/or province/state in the thread title for all elections. Not everybody may be aware of what some threads may refer to. This isn't a major issue, except perhaps for some by-election threads.
2. I would personally prefer for discussion of by-elections to be consolidated into a single thread for an entire year, as is currently done for Canada, UK local by-elections, France etc
3. Don't bump old threads unless there's a really good reason to
4. Major elections, defined arbitrarily (or not - elections generating major discussion on here), should/will have separate results threads
5. Do not create threads for individual polls. I have no issue with regularly posting polling numbers in general threads dedicated to said country, as is done for Germany and Austria
6. Do not post information/rumours which you know to be false
7. Refrain from posts consisting solely of ultrapartisan spin (etc). I know I do it too sometimes, this applies for me as well.Non-Negotiable Rules (largely restated)
1. Racism, homophobia, xenophobia, bigotry and the like
2. Expressing support for mass-murderers or vile ideologies such as fascism, Nazism, Stalinism etc.
3. Other things banned on the wider forum
4. Any other particularly egregious things I haven't mentioned here
Like Al, I don't think that I will use the infraction system. I will delete the worst posts, modify/moderate others and warn - in public or private - if things get out of hand. I don't want any of my actions to spark personal feuds, animosities or firestorms which would degrade the friendly and high-quality atmosphere of the board. However, I do reserve the right to use the infraction system, particularly for any posts which contravene the non-negotiable rules cited above.
I wish to clarify that I will not use my Great Powers as El Caudillo del Foro in a vindictive or biased fashion against any poster unless they specifically contravene the aforecited rules. If you have any issues with my moderation or stuff, please take it up via PM. But don't spam my PM inbox.
To perpetuate Al's tradition, here are the (silly) special rules.Special Rules of El Caudillo
1. A cult of personality of Jennifer Lawrence, Aubrey Plaza, Carly Rae Jepsen and miscellaneous others shall be strictly enforced. Gross disrespect these Icons is a capital offense.
2. References to my blog, henceforth known as The Repository, are mandatory. Posting any maps created by El Caudillo is mandatory. Failure to comply with either conditions is a capital offense.
3. Failure to appreciate El Caudillo's greatness, wealth of knowledge and infinite wisdom on all matters is a capital offense.
4. Questioning El Caudillo's authority and greatness is a capital offense.
5. The use of GIFs is strongly recommended.
6. Referring to Flanby by his alleged name 'François Hollande', Panzergirl by her fake name 'Marine Le Pen' are capital offenses.
7. Not supporting a political party, movement or ideology approved of by El Caudillo is a capital offense.
8. The ideology known as 'Cogendism' is counterrevolutionary and a capital offense.
8. Crimes considered 'capital offenses' shall be punishable by death by watching all movies starring Kristen Stewart.
I am confident that nobody wishes to be subject to the cruel and unusual punishment which this would constitute.
Thank you for your support. I welcome your feedback and criticism.