Mandatory daily sports lesson in schools
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:58:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Mandatory daily sports lesson in schools
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion on a mandatory daily sports lesson in schools ?
Yes, it should be mandatory for all schools

No, it should be left to the schools to decide

No, it should be left to the states to decide

Yes, but a few hours each week are enough

No and a few hours each week are enough

Other (please post)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Mandatory daily sports lesson in schools  (Read 3384 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

Strenuous physical activity not only improves health, but also builds character.

Mandatory physical education for all K-12 students in the United States.  At least an hour every day. 
How about forbidding parking at school, and promoting students travelling  by bike?

This is unreasonable in much of the United States; moreover, there are plenty of parents who would not be amenable to their children traveling to school alone.

Oh, I understand, we are only talking indoor sports here. Wouldn't it be quite costly to build the many sport halls required if physical education in school is to be extended?

Surprisingly maybe not...

Most Europeans would be disgusted to see how much sports-related infrastructure is already in place in many American high schools.  Many high schools, especially the larger suburban ones, have stadiums, gyms, and training centers that would rival a lot of smaller colleges. 

Additionally, many smaller schools may utilize corporate sponsorship to pay for sports-related infrastructure. 
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:07:03 PM »

Perhaps weightlifting and running every day, but not sports.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 08:13:49 PM »

I'd like to see our nation more educated in sports history. Some colleges and universities are already offering courses such as "20th Century Sports History." Sports are what bring us together and make us one, but I don't think we need to be paying for classes on it in public schools if we're already in debt.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »

Strenuous physical activity not only improves health, but also builds character.

Mandatory physical education for all K-12 students in the United States.  At least an hour every day. 
How about forbidding parking at school, and promoting students travelling  by bike?

This is unreasonable in much of the United States; moreover, there are plenty of parents who would not be amenable to their children traveling to school alone.

Oh, I understand, we are only talking indoor sports here. Wouldn't it be quite costly to build the many sport halls required if physical education in school is to be extended?

Surprisingly maybe not...

Most Europeans would be disgusted to see how much sports-related infrastructure is already in place in many American high schools.  Many high schools, especially the larger suburban ones, have stadiums, gyms, and training centers that would rival a lot of smaller colleges. 

Additionally, many smaller schools may utilize corporate sponsorship to pay for sports-related infrastructure. 

O.k., let's get serious again and put this into context:
a:) In most European countries, some 7-10 school hours per week in middle and high-school are devoted to foreign language training. It is probably far less than that in the US, which frees up tine for other subjects, including PE. 5 hours PE per week may sound normal in the US, but in Germany (and I suppose Austria is not much different in that respect), 2-3 hours per week (out of 30-33 in total) are the standard.
b.) Here, sports is much more an after-school activity carried out in clubs. Sports clubs have been quite effective in integrating second-generation immigrant kids, who are not very well represented among high-school students, and generally have high drop-out rates already from middle-school. [You may even say that sport clubs are the only institutions that are effective tackling integration issues here, schools are definitely not.]

Under both aspects, stepping up PE in Austrian schools sounds to me like a pretty stupid move, very populist and unworthy of a social-democratic chancellor. It is either done at the expense of other subjects, or by extending overall school hours, which will negatively affect sports clubs and, ultimately, integration of second-generation immigrants. Asides, I doubt that the kinds of sports Austrians excel in (skiing, ski-jumping, bob, climbing etc.) will be taught at school..
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 09:06:44 PM »

a:) In most European countries, some 7-10 school hours per week in middle and high-school are devoted to foreign language training. It is probably far less than that in the US, which frees up tine for other subjects, including PE. 5 hours PE per week may sound normal in the US, but in Germany (and I suppose Austria is not much different in that respect), 2-3 hours per week (out of 30-33 in total) are the standard.

5 hours of gym/PE per week is not normal in the US.  I never had more than 1 hour per week and I only had PE one out of four years of high school.

b.) Here, sports is much more an after-school activity carried out in clubs. Sports clubs have been quite effective in integrating second-generation immigrant kids, who are not very well represented among high-school students, and generally have high drop-out rates already from middle-school. [You may even say that sport clubs are the only institutions that are effective tackling integration issues here, schools are definitely not.]

Why can't those after-school clubs substitute in lieu of PE classes?  In the US, many schools will allow the basketball team or baseball team, for example, to get school credit for their sport, instead of taking PE classes.  That seems reasonable.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »

Why can't those after-school clubs substitute in lieu of PE classes?  In the US, many schools will allow the basketball team or baseball team, for example, to get school credit for their sport, instead of taking PE classes.  That seems reasonable.

Ridiculously, my high school did not. No matter if I was running cross country, I still had to manage that sub-15:00 gym class mile Smiley
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »

As other said, I support daily PE lessons but not sports.

For the record, I personally had PE up to sophomore year in high school (starting regularly from the 6th grade) and PE was a mixture of sports and running depending on the day along with daily calisthenics.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 07:42:14 PM »

5 hours of gym/PE per week is not normal in the US.  I never had more than 1 hour per week and I only had PE one out of four years of high school.

5 hrs/wk may not be the case everywhere, but it is normal. at least it's not abnormal, or didn't used to be.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 08:17:44 PM »

Ridiculously, my high school did not. No matter if I was running cross country, I still had to manage that sub-15:00 gym class mile Smiley

Jesus! How do you do that? I got like a 16:16 in my one time doing the 1600--of course I was out of shape and hadn't run XC (16:40 for a mile) in a while, but come now.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »

Jesus! How do you do that? I got like a 16:16 in my one time doing the 1600--of course I was out of shape and hadn't run XC (16:40 for a mile) in a while, but come now.

You must be confused.  A 15 minute mile is basically walking quickly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »

You must be confused.  A 15 minute mile is basically walking quickly.

Ah crap. Yeah. I keep forgetting that it was a "6:16" and a "6:40". Tongue Nevermind then.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 09:20:41 PM »

What are your best times?

mile 4:59
2 mile 11:07
5K 16:49
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »

What are your best times?

mile 4:59
2 mile 11:07
5K 16:49

From high school:
1600: 4:50
2300: 10:15
5k: 16:49

College:
1600: 4:32
5k: 15:40
8k: 25:59
10k: 32:56

Now days, I'm retired from competitive running though Smiley
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »

Mandatory PE, choice of sports (or no sports). Especially in America, the Nation of Fats. Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 09:10:06 AM »

Especially in America, the Nation of Fats. Tongue

That is a different issue! 

Obesity, chronic heart disease, diabetes, cancer, sexually-transmitted diseases, male impotency, sexual dysfunction, hypertension, and all the rest of those "first world health problems" arise as a result of long-held social conventions which give us a certain lifestyle.  A few hours of physical education for a ten-year period early in one's life will not eradicate these problems, although it may alleviate them somewhat. 

If you want a thread about lifestyle changes in the USA, then create one.  I still assume this thread is about "sports lessons" which is clearly indicated in the OP.  Those teach co-ordination and teamwork.  If they also help overcome some health problems, then that's okay too, but the primary focus of any sports lessons should be teamwork (socialization) and not health.

Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »

I reckon it should be a republic/province level decision.

Personally, if we are just talking about sporting for its character and teamwork building boons, I recommend moving away from lessons and time spent on physical contests and more towards team-oriented console or PC gaming at school.

My opinions of programs and classes to promote physical fitness are a separate matter.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

No mandatory sports lesson at all. I hate sports.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

Perhaps weightlifting and running every day, but not sports.

Agree.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »

I reckon it should be a republic/province level decision.

Personally, if we are just talking about sporting for its character and teamwork building boons, I recommend moving away from lessons and time spent on physical contests and more towards team-oriented console or PC gaming at school.

My opinions of programs and classes to promote physical fitness are a separate matter.

Console gaming is going to give you the character it takes to run three miles in freezing rain wearing naught but a cross country uniform?

And let's not pretend the mind is everything for all the sports/physical activity haters out there. I take it they'd prefer us to be giant floating brains, relying on machines for movement and lifting, or maybe pale ghoul-like creatures whose only muscles are contained in the fingers needed for keyboard tapping. Hilarious how the death of Man shall come about.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies