Last time Los Angeles voted republican in a federal or statewide race.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Last time Los Angeles voted republican in a federal or statewide race.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Last time Los Angeles voted republican in a federal or statewide race.  (Read 1257 times)
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »

If you count citywide elections, the last time L.A. voted republican would very likely be the 1997 mayoral election, when the city re-elected incumbent republican Mayor Richard Riordan.

But what about statewide races? If I had to guess, I'd probably say 1984 for the presidential races, and 1986 for gubernatorial races (although since the democratic candidate, Tom Bradley was mayor of L.A., I'd doubt it somewhat.)

Does anyone have any data?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:43:28 PM »

I believe Arnie carried it in the recall race during 2003, but just barely.  He lost it four years later.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2013, 04:02:22 PM by SLValleyMan »

I believe Arnie carried it in the recall race during 2003, but just barely.  He lost it four years later.

No, he didn't. I checked the results. Cruz Bustamante won L.A. proper.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/sov/2003-special/

It's under "political districts within counties".

EDIT: FWIW, though, Arnold and Tom McClintock's (the other prominent republican in the race) combined number of votes in L.A. is actually greater than Bustamante's. What I would like to know, however, is the last time a single republican won a plurality of votes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »

How did Goldwater do in Los Angeles?
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:24:56 PM »

Pretty certain he lost it considering he only won 5 counties, and L.A. county was not one of them.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »

The last time Los Angeles County voted for a Republican on the presidential level was in 1984, when Ronald Reagan won California with 57% of the vote and the last time it voted for a Republican Governor was in 1994, when Pete Wilson was re-elected against Kathleen Brown. I am not entirely sure when the last time Los Angeles voted for a Republican for Senator though. My best guess would probaly be in 1986, when Alan Cranston was re-elected against Ed Zschau by a fairly slim margin.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »

Pretty certain he lost it considering he only won 5 counties, and L.A. county was not one of them.

This, although Goldwater preformed better in the county than he did statewide and nationwide (15% loss vs. 18% and 23%, respectively).  SoCal has trended far leftward since then, obviously.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »

This, although Goldwater preformed better in the county than he did statewide and nationwide (15% loss vs. 18% and 23%, respectively).  SoCal has trended far leftward since then, obviously.

What's strange is that back in 1960, Kennedy lost California by a hair, but still managed to LA county.  I wonder why it shifted to being more Republican than the state/county in 1964. 
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:01 PM »

What's strange is that back in 1960, Kennedy lost California by a hair, but still managed to LA county.  I wonder why it shifted to being more Republican than the state/county in 1964. 

Probably related to elasticity. Reagan's speech endorsing Goldwater might have helped, though.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »

1956, perhaps?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »

Goldwater was a conservative libertarian from Arizona and his ideology was and still is big in the west and southwest. There is still a libertarian column that runs through southern California, western Arizona, and the California/Nevada border.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 01:13:20 AM »

ever head of proposition 14?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies