Cuccinelli (2008): Anti-adultery laws are good, should be enforced more!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:28:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cuccinelli (2008): Anti-adultery laws are good, should be enforced more!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cuccinelli (2008): Anti-adultery laws are good, should be enforced more!  (Read 1979 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »

Adultery is virtually inevitable, unless the parties are really hopeless.

Our politicians prove all the time that adultery will happen. The last thing we want our country to do is govern on the notion that people can't be trusted to take care of themselves and therefore need the government to do things for them.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

I very much doubt anti-adultery laws would pass Constitutional muster these days. I'm not worried.
Link
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

I think adultery should be treated as some manner of tort, personally. I don't think most of the adultery laws that are currently on the books in states that still have them are very practical or well-considered. I doubt Virginia is an exception.

Seriously?  That seems completely crazy.

Don't you like the idea of pretty much putting all politicians behind bars though?

What barbaric country are you living in where people typically go to jail due to violations of tort law?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 05:12:40 PM »

I very much doubt anti-adultery laws would pass Constitutional muster these days. I'm not worried.
It's not so much the consequences of this particular statement as what policies it suggests he would pursue as governor that is concerning.
cheesepizza
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 4.33, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:03 PM »

The problem I have here is that people like Cuccinelli are giving pro-lifers a bad name.  I oppose abortion because it's the taking of an innocent human life.  I don't want government to interfere with people's sexual activities or birth control; that's their own business.  However, the right to life matters.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »

So if he is governor it looks like VA is going to have to update its slogan

"Virginia is for heterosexual married lovers limiting themselves to the missionary position as god intended"

I think they are going to need a bigger border signs
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »

Not that I support making adultery a criminal offense, but prosecuting adultery makes a hell of a lot more sense than prosecuting single adults who engage in prostitution or marijuana users.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:34 AM »

Where do they find these candidates?  It's as though the VA GOP pulled Todd Akin and Alan Keyes out of their collective a$$es for the VA Governor ticket.  It will be pathetically easy to turn them into scary monsters because that is what they are and they're not even trying to hide it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »

It's not so much the consequences of this particular statement as what policies it suggests he would pursue as governor that is concerning.

Indeed. I strongly question those that choose to spend taxpayer dollars defending blatantly unconstitutional laws.

If I lived in Virginia, I'd be an enthusiastic supporter of McAuliffe, which is something I could never imagine being prior to this specific race.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »

Somehow, I knew something like this would come up in this campaign.  I'm not at all surprised, and it's positions like this that will get him skunked in NoVa and hand the election to McAuliffe. *gag*
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies