Opinion of Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Florida
Freedom State

Horrible State

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of Florida  (Read 2265 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:09:25 PM »

Terrible terrible state. Weather, politics, laws, olds, everything. And to top it all off probably the worst Governor in America.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »

I can't understand why people vacation there. Not appealing at all. I prefer mountains.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:20 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2013, 11:28:27 PM by dead0man »

I've lived in Florida (the redneck riviera part), it's horrible.

edit-the drivers are the worst.....tourists/foreigners, old people from the Northeast and red necks.  It's like a soup made from the worst drivers on the planet.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:26:41 PM »

never liked it too much, though I may be forcibly moved there once my grandfather dies and his SS/pension stops rolling through, assuming I won't be self-supporting, which I surely won't be.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:35 PM »

It's great... if you don't include the humans. Except Orlando, Disney World and Universal Studios would be boring without at least some other people Tongue

But seriously, it can't be that bad, can it? Politics there can and will change.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:25:03 AM »

Florida blows.  Horrible, horrible state. 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »

I've come around to despising it.
Jordan
Rookie
Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -9.74

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 01:17:07 PM »

I do like the no state income tax.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:22:21 PM »

My favorite state. I Purple heart Florida.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »

I can't understand why people vacation there. Not appealing at all. I prefer mountains.

Because it's f[inks]ing in the Northern USA/Canada

Florida is ok,. There are much cheaper warm weather areas to on vacation to like Cuba or Costa Rica.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:10:43 PM »

It is not as bad as you all think. I spent the last four days in Indian River County, Arcadia, Sanford (and lived to tell about it), Sebastian, and Fort Pierce. That is the real Florida.

I drove through the most beautiful little town on the planet-Frostproof, Florida. You’re on a hill, which happens to be an isthmus between two lakes, surrounded by orange groves, pine trees, and cracker houses.

Whole lotta honkies in those parts, though.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 02:26:50 PM »

I've never been to Florida, but any place with weather that hot has got to be horrible. I'd probably prefer any other state in the union to Florida, and by a lot.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »

I've only been to Florida once, when I was real little, so I don't really remember much, but the climate seems too hot and humid for my tastes. Also, I prefer mountains, and the highest point in Florida is less than 400 ft. above sea level.

Really, though, you could say the same thing about the rest of the deep south. I much prefer the upper south, which has the Appalaichians/Ozarks.

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »

I spent the last four days in Indian River County, Arcadia, Sanford (and lived to tell about it), Sebastian, and Fort Pierce. That is the real Florida.

Channeling Sarah Palin?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:11 PM »

I spent the last four days in Indian River County, Arcadia, Sanford (and lived to tell about it), Sebastian, and Fort Pierce. That is the real Florida.

Channeling Sarah Palin?
You 'betcha!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »

I'd say it's the worst state, but my hatred of Arizona cannot be overstated.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

Terrible terrible state. Weather, politics, laws, olds, everything. And to top it all off probably the worst Governor in America.

I've never understood why you enjoy Upper Midwest weather. It's either unbearably humid or cold (I guess last winter was an exception) and the weather pattern is nonsensical. In late March, over the course of a few hours, I went from sitting on the beach in Miami to driving through 8 inches of snow in St Louis. Is it just because you like girls in hoodies?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »

Horrible state, but I like alligators.   
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2013, 05:25:57 PM »

Loved it there, the weather killed me though... in December...
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 06:16:05 PM »

I've never been there, sadly. I would probably enjoy Florida, more than the Midwest at least. What's with all the hate?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »

I've never been there, sadly. I would probably enjoy Florida, more than the Midwest at least. What's with all the hate?
It's a hot sprawled out swamp full of tourists, rednecks, and old, pushy New Yorkers. What's to like?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »

I've never understood why you enjoy Upper Midwest weather. It's either unbearably humid or cold (I guess last winter was an exception) and the weather pattern is nonsensical. In late March, over the course of a few hours, I went from sitting on the beach in Miami to driving through 8 inches of snow in St Louis. Is it just because you like girls in hoodies?
The climate where I live is preferable to Florida, imo.. but to somewhere like San Diego.  But then, we can't all live in San Diego.

Summers up here are gorgeous.  You get some hot days, you get some humid days.. but the vast majority of days are just warm and comfortable... you can have a BBQ or go swimming and then it's cool enough after the sun goes down to have a campfire.  Last night it got down to 46F, 11F below normal.... but those nights are great because you can have a warming fire... and the chill keeps the mosquitoes away.

When people move here, they quickly get used to the climate.  And they realize that there are only a handful of days where outdoor activities just aren't feasible... probably about 1 month out of the year when you add them all together.. be they frigid days in January, mucky/wet days in early spring and late fall, or stifling hot days in summer.  But it's never mroe than 1-2 days at a time... with only the worst cold spells or heatwaves bringing a week of misery.

But here our average high in June, July, and August is around 77F with an average low around 55F and a dew point most often in the upper 50s... in other words.. exceedingly comfortable.

May, September, and the first half of October are usually full of pleasant days.. especially in the fall with highs from the upper 50s to mid 70s.

The times when outdoor activity is toughest is in the coldest stretches of winter, the muddy thaw time in March, and the sometimes endless string a chilly, cloudy, but not-wet days we sometimes get in November.

But people who come here in the winter from afar realize we just embrace the cold.  Walk around Minneapolis on a winter's day and you'll see people still biking... XC skiing, ice skating, or playing ice hockey on the frozen lakes.

In northern MN, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and XC skiing are huge... with niche markets in snowshoeing, downhill skiing, and mushing/dogsledding.

There is something to be said about being tucked into a cozy sleeping bag with your significant other with a mug of hot chocolate as you are whisked through the Laurentian forests of silvery aspen and birch and evergreens with the moon glinting off the snow... before retiring to your log cabin complete with jacuzzi tub, fire place, and all the hot water you could want.

So we get it ALL in the upper midwest.  And the vast majority of people might say "hey, if winters were maybe a bit shorter and not quite so cold.. but otherwise it's great".
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 10:58:57 PM »

It's a hot sprawled out swamp full of tourists, rednecks, and old, pushy New Yorkers. What's to like?

Uhhhhh..... you forgot Atlas tradition.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 11:22:28 PM »

It actually wasn't that hot where I lived, Panhandle, right on the water.  But if you go inland 5 or so miles it can be a real bitch in the summer.  I was right near an AF Base so we had fewer of the bad drivers mentioned above, but if you go into "town" (which in my case was Panama City/Panama City Beach you get the rednecks and the tourists and worse of all, the tourists that are also rednecks.  Not too many old people from the NE that the rest of the state seems to be full of though.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:44 AM »

Not as bad as Oklahoma, but not a good state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies