Opinion of Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:09:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Opinion of Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Florida
Freedom State

Horrible State

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Opinion of Florida  (Read 2314 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: July 25, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »

Terrible terrible state. Weather, politics, laws, olds, everything. And to top it all off probably the worst Governor in America.

I've never understood why you enjoy Upper Midwest weather. It's either unbearably humid or cold (I guess last winter was an exception) and the weather pattern is nonsensical. In late March, over the course of a few hours, I went from sitting on the beach in Miami to driving through 8 inches of snow in St Louis. Is it just because you like girls in hoodies?
The climate where I live is preferable to Florida, imo.. but to somewhere like San Diego.  But then, we can't all live in San Diego.

Summers up here are gorgeous.  You get some hot days, you get some humid days.. but the vast majority of days are just warm and comfortable... you can have a BBQ or go swimming and then it's cool enough after the sun goes down to have a campfire.  Last night it got down to 46F, 11F below normal.... but those nights are great because you can have a warming fire... and the chill keeps the mosquitoes away.

When people move here, they quickly get used to the climate.  And they realize that there are only a handful of days where outdoor activities just aren't feasible... probably about 1 month out of the year when you add them all together.. be they frigid days in January, mucky/wet days in early spring and late fall, or stifling hot days in summer.  But it's never mroe than 1-2 days at a time... with only the worst cold spells or heatwaves bringing a week of misery.

But here our average high in June, July, and August is around 77F with an average low around 55F and a dew point most often in the upper 50s... in other words.. exceedingly comfortable.

May, September, and the first half of October are usually full of pleasant days.. especially in the fall with highs from the upper 50s to mid 70s.

The times when outdoor activity is toughest is in the coldest stretches of winter, the muddy thaw time in March, and the sometimes endless string a chilly, cloudy, but not-wet days we sometimes get in November.

But people who come here in the winter from afar realize we just embrace the cold.  Walk around Minneapolis on a winter's day and you'll see people still biking... XC skiing, ice skating, or playing ice hockey on the frozen lakes.

In northern MN, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and XC skiing are huge... with niche markets in snowshoeing, downhill skiing, and mushing/dogsledding.

There is something to be said about being tucked into a cozy sleeping bag with your significant other with a mug of hot chocolate as you are whisked through the Laurentian forests of silvery aspen and birch and evergreens with the moon glinting off the snow... before retiring to your log cabin complete with jacuzzi tub, fire place, and all the hot water you could want.

So we get it ALL in the upper midwest.  And the vast majority of people might say "hey, if winters were maybe a bit shorter and not quite so cold.. but otherwise it's great".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies