War and Peace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:48:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  War and Peace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: War and Peace  (Read 669 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 25, 2013, 09:03:35 PM »

Honor every single soldier who has given their life for our freedom.
Intelligence information on Iraq was wrong because of policies from the 1990's.
There should not have been a timetable to end the war in Iraq because it lets enemy wait us out.
Obama only wanted to leave Iraq so that it wouldn't be an issue in 2012.
Saddam should've and could've been removed without such a long war.
Iraq should've been over by 2008 and troops redeployed to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran.
Iraq was the right thing to do despite a poor and stubborn strategy.
Iraq is better now that they're free.
Stand with Israel in Hezbollah soldier abductions.
Clinton was right to send troops to former Yugoslavia.
Place sanctions on Iran to end nuclear program and possible strike.
Disarm and prevent Iran from having nuclear weapons rather than containing them.
Fight War on Terror like we did the Cold War and take the moral ground.
President Bush was very stubborn and irresponsible about Iraq.
Include states in fighting terrorism at home to prevent terror planning.
Better planning could've prevented having to send more troops to Iraq.
Funding for Iraq should've stayed within our budget.
Investigate oil contracts, but no company can compete with Halliburton's quality or ability.
Anti-Muslim bigotry isn't the way to fight terrorism.
Close military bases we no longer use and open them in the states.
Closing Guantanamo Bay was the right thing to do.
End inhuman practices of torture.
Terrorists and non-citizens of the U.S. don't have the right to attorneys.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »

Iraq should've been over by 2008 and troops redeployed to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran.
Are you serious, or was this a typo?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »

Honor every single soldier who has given their life for our freedom. Yes
Intelligence information on Iraq was wrong because of policies from the 1990's. Undecided
There should not have been a timetable to end the war in Iraq because it lets enemy wait us out. No
Obama only wanted to leave Iraq so that it wouldn't be an issue in 2012. No
Saddam should've and could've been removed without such a long war. No
Iraq should've been over by 2008 and troops redeployed to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Iran. Yes/no
Iraq was the right thing to do despite a poor and stubborn strategy. No
Iraq is better now that they're free. Yes
Stand with Israel in Hezbollah soldier abductions. Undecided
Clinton was right to send troops to former Yugoslavia. Undecided
Disarm and prevent Iran from having nuclear weapons rather than containing them. Expand
Fight War on Terror like we did the Cold War and take the moral ground. No
President Bush was very stubborn and irresponsible about Iraq. Yes
Include states in fighting terrorism at home to prevent terror planning. No
Better planning could've prevented having to send more troops to Iraq. Yes
Funding for Iraq should've stayed within our budget. Yes
Investigate oil contracts, but no company can compete with Halliburton's quality or ability. Undecided
Anti-Muslim bigotry isn't the way to fight terrorism. Yes
Close military bases we no longer use and open them in the states. Yes
Closing Guantanamo Bay was the right thing to do. Yes
End inhuman practices of torture. Yes
Terrorists and non-citizens of the U.S. don't have the right to attorneys. No
Notice the yes's, no's, and undecideds on each plank.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:29:09 PM »

Do you really want to start a conflict with Iran after all that talk of how badly we botched Iraq?

If we do, you should be the first to join up!
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »

Are you serious, or was this a typo?

Not right away, but eventually. It may have taken years to take care of everything.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »

Honor every single soldier who has given their life for our freedom.
Of course.

Intelligence information on Iraq was wrong because of policies from the 1990's.
I don't know if I'd say it's because of policies from the 90s, but people were definitely misinformed during that time.

There should not have been a timetable to end the war in Iraq because it lets enemy wait us out.
Disagree strongly.

Obama only wanted to leave Iraq so that it wouldn't be an issue in 2012.
You're kidding me.

Saddam should've and could've been removed without such a long war.
Agree.

No.

Iraq was the right thing to do despite a poor and stubborn strategy.
Disagree.

Iraq is better now that they're free.
Agree.

Stand with Israel in Hezbollah soldier abductions.
Undecided.

Clinton was right to send troops to former Yugoslavia.
Undecided.

Agree.

Disarm and prevent Iran from having nuclear weapons rather than containing them.
Depends how.

Fight War on Terror like we did the Cold War and take the moral ground.
On our own soil, yes.

President Bush was very stubborn and irresponsible about Iraq.
Yup.

Include states in fighting terrorism at home to prevent terror planning.
Sure.

Better planning could've prevented having to send more troops to Iraq.
Yeah.

Funding for Iraq should've stayed within our budget.
No.

Investigate oil contracts, but no company can compete with Halliburton's quality or ability.
Absolutely not.

Anti-Muslim bigotry isn't the way to fight terrorism.
Completely agree.

Close military bases we no longer use and open them in the states.
Yes, but we obviously shouldn't be building military bases if they aren't necessary.

Closing Guantanamo Bay was the right thing to do.
Yes.

End inhuman practices of torture.
Yes.

Terrorists and non-citizens of the U.S. don't have the right to attorneys.
Completely disagree.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »

Do you really want to start a conflict with Iran after all that talk of how badly we botched Iraq?

There's other options besides war. Sanctions are a good start. For example, if Reagan were president and pressured Saddam, he would've stepped down like a coward. Bush's strategy was poorly planned and we could've been out of there in less than 5 years had we planned better. All I'm trying to do is prevent a nuclear strike on the U.S.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »

There's other options besides war. Sanctions are a good start. For example, if Reagan were president and pressured Saddam, he would've stepped down like a coward. Bush's strategy was poorly planned and we could've been out of there in less than 5 years had we planned better. All I'm trying to do is prevent a nuclear strike on the U.S.

No he wouldn't. What a silly thing to say.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:04:46 PM »

I thought this would be about Tolstoy Sad
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:53 PM »

LOL no just about defense and foreign policy. I believe War and Peace never once uses the word the?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

Let's just forget the whole thing about Reagan supporting Saddam. Sanctions didn't stop South Africa from building 6 nuclear weapons in the 1970s and 80s, so whatever.

And isn't that the same BS reason we used to go to war with Iraq? "smoking gun"? There is no evidence that Iran is trying to get a nuke to use against us, let alone get a nuke. Countless IAEA inspections have shown no evidence that Iran is diverting its nuclear program to military purposes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »

Let's just forget the whole thing about Reagan supporting Saddam. Sanctions didn't stop South Africa from building 6 nuclear weapons in the 1970s and 80s, so whatever.

And isn't that the same BS reason we used to go to war with Iraq? "smoking gun"? There is no evidence that Iran is trying to get a nuke to use against us, let alone get a nuke. Countless IAEA inspections have shown no evidence that Iran is diverting its nuclear program to military purposes.

Democrats sounded worried about Iran and North Korea having nuclear weapons prior to invading Iraq. Or were they trying to make it sound like Bush didn't know what he was doing?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:48:51 PM »

I believe War and Peace never once uses the word the?

this is a joke of some kind?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »

No maybe it was a different book. Do you know what book I might be thinking of?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

Democrats sounded worried about Iran and North Korea having nuclear weapons prior to invading Iraq. Or were they trying to make it sound like Bush didn't know what he was doing?

I like how you don't even address the point. Instead, you try to make this another one of your stupid D vs. R arguments. When you avoid a fact that doesn't line up with your world view, it shows you can't defend it.

Bush knew exactly was he was doing: intentionally misleading the US and the world into launching a war by cherry-picking information relating to Iraq. Many Congressional Democrats bought into his lies, then began turning against the war by late-2003. How does that make Republicans any less guilty for lying to the world and leading the charge to send 4,500 of our soldiers to their deaths?

I guess all these anti-war protestors in Boston, Chicago, DC, etc.  didn't vote Democrat? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wy5C-LxLw

I am amazed that there are people such as yourself who continue to defend what can easily be called the greatest mistake in our history.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 10:13:46 PM »

I like how you don't even address the point. Instead, you try to make this another one of your stupid D vs. R arguments. When you avoid a fact that doesn't line up with your world view, it shows you can't defend it.

Bush knew exactly was he was doing: intentionally misleading the US and the world into launching a war by cherry-picking information relating to Iraq. Many Congressional Democrats bought into his lies, then began turning against the war by late-2003. How does that make Republicans any less guilty for lying to the world and leading the charge to send 4,500 of our soldiers to their deaths?

I guess all these anti-war protestors in Boston, Chicago, DC, etc.  didn't vote Democrat? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wy5C-LxLw

I am amazed that there are people such as yourself who continue to defend what can easily be called the greatest mistake in our history.

I'm not going to turn this into a D vs. R argument by saying one party or another lied to the whole world. Neither am I going to use deaths from war to further a political agenda. They deserve to be honored. The greatest mistake in our history was slavery. Hillary Clinton seemed to strongly support the war. Are you saying she was deceived? After her husband had just been in the White House, I'd think she'd be able to identify the lies if there were any. Our intelligence was poor because the CIA and FBI weren't allowed to share information during the Clinton administration. I've done plenty to criticize Bush's war strategy.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 10:48:46 PM »

No maybe it was a different book. Do you know what book I might be thinking of?

if there is such a book it would have to be some unreadable postmodern tripe.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »

ok, so this book didn't use the letter 'e', which in turn prohibits use of the word 'the'.

http://spinelessbooks.com/gadsby/
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 11:58:31 PM »

Oh ok very interesting.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 11:43:28 AM »

Barfbag, are you going to address the absurdity of your claim that Saddam would've stepped down if Reagan just told him to?
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »

Barfbag, are you going to address the absurdity of your claim that Saddam would've stepped down if Reagan just told him to?

Reagan could've handled it without a war.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 01:40:50 PM »

Well War and Peace was written in Russian, which like other Slavic languages lacks articles, so yes, technically the book was written without the word "the."
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:27 PM »

Well War and Peace was written in Russian, which like other Slavic languages lacks articles, so yes, technically the book was written without the word "the."

Very interesting and sound like a hard book to read. So far the hardest books I've read are "The Gospel of John, A Gnostic Exegesis" and "The Iliad."
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »

Reagan could've handled it without a war.

You said Saddam would've abdicated power in the face of Reagan's threats. Do you really think that? Why?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

2% of the original text is in French.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies