US with Canadian Ridings (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:57:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US with Canadian Ridings (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US with Canadian Ridings  (Read 15561 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:57 PM »

Remember, directionals almost always come after the place name. And are usually dropped entirely from county names. (eg Glengarry-Prescott-Russell is not Glengarry North-Prescott-Russell)

I think I read somewhere (although I may be confusing it with over here, however I think the naming convention is generally the same for directionals), directionals always come after the place name. The only time it would appear to come first, is in the case where the place name already contains a directional... ie, "Beaches -- East York" is named after a place named "East York" as opposed to the Eastern part of York. That's my understanding, anyway, I could be wrong.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:37:59 PM »

Additionally, DC gets a Senator, New York and Virginia get 24 Senators (as the largest of the Northern and Southern states at the time of the Civil War), all other states get 6 Senators, except for Wyoming, which gets 4, and Missouri and Iowa, which get 10. All Senators are appointed by the President, on the advice of the House Majority Leader.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:08:42 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2013, 07:10:16 PM by Smid »

Why do Missouri and Iowa get 10? Wouldn't it make sense to give that distinction to eastern states?

I think if you want to emulate Canada, you have to divide the US into regions. In Canada, there are 24 Senators for the West, 24 for Ontario, 24 for Quebec and 24 for the Maritimes, plus 6 for NL which joined later.

Thus, every state that joined the union after the civil war gets 6 Senators.  You can give 100 Senators to the North, and 100 to the south and... let's say they give Washington six, Nevada 4 and California 10.

I was just trying to capture the seeming randomness of the Canadian Senate. More an attempt at humour than a serious contribution.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »

Kingstown—Westerly (recognizing the origin of the two Kingstowns from one, though Kingston would also be better than Wakefield)

I was rather hoping for an Ontario-style "Kingston and the Islands"...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »

Just a query, wouldn't Kansas City West be on the other side of the state border? It might be West for Kansas City, Missouri, but not West for Kansas City? Perhaps Kansas City West Centre (like Winnipeg South Centre)?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies