SPLC: American religious right's anti-gay campaign not just limited to America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:25:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  SPLC: American religious right's anti-gay campaign not just limited to America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SPLC: American religious right's anti-gay campaign not just limited to America  (Read 1063 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:15:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/news/splc-report-us-groups-working-to-keep-criminal-statutes-barring-lgbt-sex-in-belize

This kind of trend disgusts and horrifies me on multiple levels.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »

Wait, you actually take the SPLC seriously???
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »

You don't???
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:21 PM »

Hardly news.

US-funded and often founded evangelical churches have been at the forefront of the"kill the gays" bills currently in fashion in parts of Africa.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »

Hardly news.

US-funded and often founded evangelical churches have been at the forefront of the"kill the gays" bills currently in fashion in parts of Africa.

Quite true.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »

Pretty disgusting, but not surprising or particularly new.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:34:54 PM »

No, because the SPLC is a bunch of racial alarmists who do nothing but cause trouble. The only FF move on their part was their effort in getting the killers of James Byrd convicted.

I cringe when I find their material floating around in our school system. I can, off the top of my head, name five pro-tolerance organizations that also don't push a leftwing political agenda.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:18 PM »

No clue, but it's well-known than there is American religious movements between the campaign for bringing death penalty to gays in Uganda.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »

No clue, but it's well-known than there is American religious movements between the campaign for bringing death penalty to gays in Uganda.
There is, but using the SPLC as a source for this is like using the DNC as a source for alleged Republican voter fraud.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2013, 04:53:57 PM by afleitch »

There is, but using the SPLC as a source for this is like using the DNC as a source for alleged Republican voter fraud.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE SPLC, THIS IS ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN AFRICA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD IN THE NAME OF JESUS F-CKING CHRIST. PEOPLE BEING IMPRISONED, ATTACKED AND CORRECTIVELY RAPED.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

I took Sanchez off ignore about a week ago, because I couldn't really remember why I'd done it in the first place.  This past week has reminded me.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »

THIS IS NOT ABOUT THE SPLC, THIS IS ABOUT WHAT IS HAPPENING IN AFRICA AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD IN THE NAME OF JESUS F-CKING CHRIST. PEOPLE BEING IMPRISONED, ATTACKED AND CORRECTIVELY RAPED.
And numerous other sources have reported this. Why use such a piss poor source? Your acting like all of these horrors in Africa against homosexuals is some new thing. This is old news, and sadly will be going on for a long time. NO NEED FOR ALL CAPS. RAWR.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 05:24:54 PM »

No, because the SPLC is a bunch of racial alarmists who do nothing but cause trouble. The only FF move on their part was their effort in getting the killers of James Byrd convicted.

*citation needed*
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

*citation needed*
"from an SPLC report"....*citation needed.*
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »

*citation needed*

No no, I meant the "racial alarmists who do nothing but cause trouble" bit.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 05:01:06 PM »

*citation needed*

No no, I meant the "racial alarmists who do nothing but cause trouble" bit.
No, my use of citation needed was mocking the SPLC who are so blatantly biased while still trying to be seen as non partisan as a means of allowing their literature into the school systems.

The SPLC has labeled legitimate groups, like the Family Research Council, as hate groups. They pretend to “fight hate” but almost exclusively follow right wing groups, and are involved heavily with “rightwingwatch.com.”  They continued to put groups like this in the same category as the KKK, the WBC, and the American Freedom Party. They have viciously attacked groups including the Tea Party movement for not agreeing with them, in the same style that they criticize the Tea Party for inciting violence.

For God’s sake, a man tried to shoot up the Family Research Council office and injured a security guard. The gunmen admits here on this video (which IS sponsored by the Family Research Council, to be fair) that the SPLC was the prime organization advertising the FRC as a “hate group. Hey, is this familiar? Oh yeah, remember when people blamed Sarah Palin for the Gifford’s shooting because of her “targets list?” Remember this? And don’t claim the SPLC wasn’t involved in those smears-Here SPLC spokesman Mark Potok also made the claim.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t particularly care for the Family Research Council or its goals. But all religious opposition to gay marriage should be respected, in the same manner that the SPLC demands that all other religions be respected. The actual use of such a radical, hyperbolic, and pretentious organization on this forum is ridiculous. Why not use StormFront, or RevLeft Forums, Tea Party Express, or Democratic Underground as a serious source on a story that is incredibly old.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 05:49:26 PM »

unless there's something in the Treaty of Chaguaramas that would be relevant here, that seems unlikely.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 02:52:11 PM »

Let us not deny that this indicates what the religious right would do here in America too, if they could.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »

The SPLC has labeled legitimate groups, like the Family Research Council, as hate groups.

Well, the FRC has said that gays are pedophiles who want to abolish age of consent laws... If you're saying that 'gay behavior' should be a criminal offense because gays pose a danger to children, an idea that completely goes against basically all research on the issue - what descriptor besides hate group would be appropriate here?

They pretend to “fight hate” but almost exclusively follow right wing groups, and are involved heavily with “rightwingwatch.com.” 

Well yes. That speaks more to an ugly association between the American Right and anti-gay, xenophobic, anti-Muslim, and occasionally white nationalist (neo-confederate, racist, etc) groups than anything on the SPLC's part. They do follow people like black separatists as well.

They continued to put groups like this in the same category as the KKK, the WBC, and the American Freedom Party. They have viciously attacked groups including the Tea Party movement for not agreeing with them, in the same style that they criticize the Tea Party for inciting violence.

Of those, only the WBC is included in the 'anti-gay' category - and it makes sense. Both oppose what they call the 'homosexual agenda' and view it as destructive of American society. That's what they've defined anti-gay group as meaning, and both fit into the category.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t particularly care for the Family Research Council or its goals. But all religious opposition to gay marriage should be respected, in the same manner that the SPLC demands that all other religions be respected.

The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord was acting on their religious beliefs. Should that be respected? Should the WBC's beliefs be respected? The Army of God acts on their religious beliefs too, as do the Hutaree. Why should it be acceptable to use religion as a shield for bigotry?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies