What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:20:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party?  (Read 2817 times)
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 09:51:09 PM »

I'd like everyone from all parties to answer a question. Is ideological consistency as important as doing what's right for people? If Republicans followed through with their ideology then they'd support spending cuts for the sake of the debt and deficits even if it meant reigning in our defense. If Democrats followed through with their ideology, then stop driving cars to help the environment. Does anyone really want a party that's ideologically consistent? Consistencies only lead to extremism.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 02:54:53 AM »

1.) Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty (There's a lot of Catholics that are anti-abortion while also disagreeing with the death penalty. Rick Santorum and Chris Smith being two who come to mind)

2.) Small Government/Government should be involved in all social issues. (Government shouldn't regulate corporations, it should regulate uteri, gays, and Terri Schiavo.)

3.) Small Government/Approval of NSA, PATRIOT ACT, ect. (Out of the Republicans who voted for Amash-Conyers, half of them voted because they are pro civil liberties, half would vote against it if it was a Republican president running the NSA. This is also true of the Democrats who voted for Amash-Conyers, but that's less of a idealogical inconsistency)
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

1.) Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty (There's a lot of Catholics that are anti-abortion while also disagreeing with the death penalty. Rick Santorum and Chris Smith being two who come to mind)

2.) Small Government/Government should be involved in all social issues. (Government shouldn't regulate corporations, it should regulate uteri, gays, and Terri Schiavo.)

3.) Small Government/Approval of NSA, PATRIOT ACT, ect. (Out of the Republicans who voted for Amash-Conyers, half of them voted because they are pro civil liberties, half would vote against it if it was a Republican president running the NSA. This is also true of the Democrats who voted for Amash-Conyers, but that's less of a idealogical inconsistency)
And you know this exactly from....?
hopper
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

1.) Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty  (There's a lot of Catholics that are anti-abortion while also disagreeing with the death penalty. Rick Santorum and Chris Smith being two who come to mind)

Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty-Well whats the use of having somebody on the tax payers dime sit in jail for the rest of their life?

Small Government/Government involvement in social issues
-No I don't think the Government should have gotten involved in Terry Schiavo. Abortion-well the Republicans are the conservative party on social issues and the economy. I don't think a woman should be forced to have a baby in the cases of rape or the life of the mother is at stake.  Gays-Well Marriage has been between a man and a woman for thousands of years.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Gays-Well Marriage has been between a man and a woman for thousands of years.

Not only is this not true, but it's immaterial to the issue at hand. Slavery has been around for thousands of years too, in various forms. So have things like incest and bestiality. I guess you're alright with all of those.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:15 PM »

Ideological consistencies lead to extremism. People have to think outside of the box and look at each and every situation at hand. Doing what's right is more important than a consistent ideology. Neither party is at fault for being intentionally inconsistent. We just have different ideas of what's right.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 12:53:41 AM »

And you know this exactly from....?
Living through the Bush era?
Sconnie

Political Matrix
E: 2.81, S: -0.71

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 11:02:33 AM »

As previously mentioned, I find the positions of being pro-life and pro-death penalty difficult to reconcile. FWIW, I oppose both abortion and the death penalty.

I also find difficult to reconcile the Republicans' belief in limited/small government and belief in increasing military spending. I don't think we should take an axe to the military, but it should certainly be leaner as part of a (much-needed) discussion to reduce the deficit.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

1) Anti-abortion/pro-death penalty/pro-war - even if you justify the death penalty since the murderer is guilty, war certainly takes innocent lives.

2) Anti-affirmative action/pro-legacy - if AA is wrong since people should be judged on merit, then legacies would be wrong too.

3) Small government, but wants big government on the most personal issues - not only talking about abortion here.

4) Less government spending, but more spending on military (not only for the purpose of defense)

5) Oppose "illegal" immigrants' rights on account of not being born here, but claim fetuses have rights.

6) Claim Democrats are soft on crime and defend the perpetrator at the expense of the victim, but oppose anti-bullying laws.

7) Believe that mothers should put family before work, though support policies that make two-income families necessary

Cool Consider the Bible on matters of sexuality, but not about helping the poor

9) Want to censor sexuality far more than violence

10) Claim gay marriage threatens traditional marriage, though the Bible Belt states have higher divorce rates

11) Cite moral values, but allow exploitation for the sole purpose of profit

12) Want a bigger military, but more obstacles towards women and gays in the military
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »

1) Anti-abortion/pro-death penalty/pro-war - even if you justify the death penalty since the murderer is guilty, war certainly takes innocent lives.

2) Anti-affirmative action/pro-legacy - if AA is wrong since people should be judged on merit, then legacies would be wrong too.

3) Small government, but wants big government on the most personal issues - not only talking about abortion here.

4) Less government spending, but more spending on military (not only for the purpose of defense)

5) Oppose "illegal" immigrants' rights on account of not being born here, but claim fetuses have rights.

6) Claim Democrats are soft on crime and defend the perpetrator at the expense of the victim, but oppose anti-bullying laws.

7) Believe that mothers should put family before work, though support policies that make two-income families necessary

Cool Consider the Bible on matters of sexuality, but not about helping the poor

9) Want to censor sexuality far more than violence

10) Claim gay marriage threatens traditional marriage, though the Bible Belt states have higher divorce rates

11) Cite moral values, but allow exploitation for the sole purpose of profit

12) Want a bigger military, but more obstacles towards women and gays in the military
Agree with 4 and part of 10 actually. I became pro gay marriage a couple weeks ago. I just think you should marry who you love whatever gender that person might be. Don't know about Bible Belts statistics on divorces however.

Number 1 and 3 I have gone over.

Number 5- fetuses/illegal immigration-well the meaning of that in maybe in a conservative eyes if the mother is a citizen the fetus has rights. I don't think its pratical to support a child being deported that was born here from a woman who is here illegally. Its not the child's fault his or her mother came here illegally.

6.) Republicans oppose anti-bullying laws: well Chris Christie and Rick Snyder don't. Republicans defend the perpetrator- Don't know what you are talking about.

7.) Support policies that suggest opposite for a mothers well being: I just don't think the Democrats policies are any better for a family. I am disappointed in both parties these days. I have pounded the Republicans in a few posts saying they fail to understand the changing demography of the country.

11.) Profits over morals-Not Republicans fault- companies go to China because they can maximize profits by paying workers cheaper.

12.) Oppose diversity in military-Republicans don't  oppose a woman in a uniform. Its a little trickier with gay people-they just don't think it was right to repeal "don't ask, don't tell. I am/was a little shaky about the repeal.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies