What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:48:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the ideological inconsistencies within the Republican Party?  (Read 2866 times)
hopper
United States

« on: July 29, 2013, 12:47:51 PM »

Rabid anti-environmentalism. Isn't there a quote out there along the lines of ,"Conservation is conservative"?

Tax cuts + defense spending increases + protecting entitlements = fiscal disaster. Reagan, GWB, McCain, and Romney really want to "turn the US into Greece" with their reckless and unsustainable "borrow and spend policies"(if i may borrow a phrase from the GOP playbook). So much for fiscal conservativism.

The overwhelming majority of their social and foreign policies that restrict freedom contradicting their love of freedom.

Anti-intellectualism directly conflicts with 1.) the business community, who are mostly educated and owe their success to their education, and 2.) their messages of personal responsibility and self-improvement, as education helps people move up the economic ladder.

Putting the rights of businesses over the rights of workers and consumers

Besides the first and latter points, this explanation isn't really a dig at the inconsistencies of the Republican Party, but rather the current split that's going on between the more secular business wing, the religious conservative wing and the more libertarian Tea Party wing. The only one who was really hypocritical was Reagan, who blew up deficits while going on about a Balanced Budget Amendment. McCain and Romney were purely pandering and W Bush never gave a damn about the deficit. The GOP has always been based as the business friendly party.

Lets see....

Reagan added 2 trillions dollars to the deficit
Clinton added 1 trillion dollars to the deficit
Bush W. added 5 trillion dollars to the deficit
Obama has added 6 trillion dollars to the deficit

So it looks like Reagan wasn't as bad on the deficit as you make him out to be.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »

1.) Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty (There's a lot of Catholics that are anti-abortion while also disagreeing with the death penalty. Rick Santorum and Chris Smith being two who come to mind)

2.) Small Government/Government should be involved in all social issues. (Government shouldn't regulate corporations, it should regulate uteri, gays, and Terri Schiavo.)

3.) Small Government/Approval of NSA, PATRIOT ACT, ect. (Out of the Republicans who voted for Amash-Conyers, half of them voted because they are pro civil liberties, half would vote against it if it was a Republican president running the NSA. This is also true of the Democrats who voted for Amash-Conyers, but that's less of a idealogical inconsistency)
And you know this exactly from....?
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

1.) Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty  (There's a lot of Catholics that are anti-abortion while also disagreeing with the death penalty. Rick Santorum and Chris Smith being two who come to mind)

2.) Small Government/Government should be involved in all social issues. (Government shouldn't regulate corporations, it should regulate uteri, gays, and Terri Schiavo.)

3.) Small Government/Approval of NSA, PATRIOT ACT, ect. (Out of the Republicans who voted for Amash-Conyers, half of them voted because they are pro civil liberties, half would vote against it if it was a Republican president running the NSA. This is also true of the Democrats who voted for Amash-Conyers, but that's less of a idealogical inconsistency)
Pro-Life/Pro Death Penalty-Well whats the use of having somebody on the tax payers dime sit in jail for the rest of their life?

Small Government/Government involvement in social issues
-No I don't think the Government should have gotten involved in Terry Schiavo. Abortion-well the Republicans are the conservative party on social issues and the economy. I don't think a woman should be forced to have a baby in the cases of rape or the life of the mother is at stake.  Gays-Well Marriage has been between a man and a woman for thousands of years.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 11:00:47 PM »

1) Anti-abortion/pro-death penalty/pro-war - even if you justify the death penalty since the murderer is guilty, war certainly takes innocent lives.

2) Anti-affirmative action/pro-legacy - if AA is wrong since people should be judged on merit, then legacies would be wrong too.

3) Small government, but wants big government on the most personal issues - not only talking about abortion here.

4) Less government spending, but more spending on military (not only for the purpose of defense)

5) Oppose "illegal" immigrants' rights on account of not being born here, but claim fetuses have rights.

6) Claim Democrats are soft on crime and defend the perpetrator at the expense of the victim, but oppose anti-bullying laws.

7) Believe that mothers should put family before work, though support policies that make two-income families necessary

Cool Consider the Bible on matters of sexuality, but not about helping the poor

9) Want to censor sexuality far more than violence

10) Claim gay marriage threatens traditional marriage, though the Bible Belt states have higher divorce rates

11) Cite moral values, but allow exploitation for the sole purpose of profit

12) Want a bigger military, but more obstacles towards women and gays in the military
Agree with 4 and part of 10 actually. I became pro gay marriage a couple weeks ago. I just think you should marry who you love whatever gender that person might be. Don't know about Bible Belts statistics on divorces however.

Number 1 and 3 I have gone over.

Number 5- fetuses/illegal immigration-well the meaning of that in maybe in a conservative eyes if the mother is a citizen the fetus has rights. I don't think its pratical to support a child being deported that was born here from a woman who is here illegally. Its not the child's fault his or her mother came here illegally.

6.) Republicans oppose anti-bullying laws: well Chris Christie and Rick Snyder don't. Republicans defend the perpetrator- Don't know what you are talking about.

7.) Support policies that suggest opposite for a mothers well being: I just don't think the Democrats policies are any better for a family. I am disappointed in both parties these days. I have pounded the Republicans in a few posts saying they fail to understand the changing demography of the country.

11.) Profits over morals-Not Republicans fault- companies go to China because they can maximize profits by paying workers cheaper.

12.) Oppose diversity in military-Republicans don't  oppose a woman in a uniform. Its a little trickier with gay people-they just don't think it was right to repeal "don't ask, don't tell. I am/was a little shaky about the repeal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies