Opinion of the Rastafari movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:48:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of the Rastafari movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Positive

Negative

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the Rastafari movement  (Read 2778 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

In summary:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:28:52 PM »

One of my best friends is one (though not to the hair-cutting part). I have a strongly positive view of it, strong enough that I've drunkenly tried to convert the IRC to Rastafarianism before.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:22:47 AM »

Positive, since they seem harmless, and definitely more laid-back than most religions.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »

I'd rather be a Pastafarian myself, but in the words of the HHGG, mostly harmless.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »

Sounds like an incredible religion. The only thing it needs now is a long and controversial history that includes a vast mythology and enough famous stories that can be easily recognized in any literary allegory.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »

Yes, almost comically so, in addition to being strongly and sometimes violently homophobic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIUZlzd37sI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawjmW7LL1I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI27DZjCOo

Negative.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 04:22:02 AM »

Don't care about it either way.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »

It's a joke that got out of hand, just like the ponies.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 01:43:50 AM »

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »

I'm finna be a Rastafarian now
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

I'm surprised  no one noticed my comparing of Rasta to The Ponies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 06:08:58 AM »

I did and I approve. 

as for the Rastas, I was unaware of their homophobia, thought it was just an excuse to smoke pot and hang out with other pot smokers (or at least associate yourself with that kind of thing).  I guess Negative on the whole, though I voted Positive before reading the thread.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »

Negative.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »

It seems to me like a lot of the homophobia seems to stem from being a product of the extremely homophobic society of Jamaica. Rastas don't seem more homophobic than Jamaican Christians, for example. I doubt most white/American Rastas are.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2013, 08:44:38 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

It seems to me like a lot of the homophobia seems to stem from being a product of the extremely homophobic society of Jamaica.

I had been under the impression that the reverse is true.

There aren't really enough Rastafarians even in Jamaica for that to be the case.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »

It seems to me like a lot of the homophobia seems to stem from being a product of the extremely homophobic society of Jamaica.

I had been under the impression that the reverse is true.

There aren't really enough Rastafarians even in Jamaica for that to be the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

It doesn't take more than a few people inciting violence against a minority group to make life exceptionally difficult for them - particularly as Rastafaris are so heavily represented in the Jamaican entertainment industry.

You hit the nail on the head here. Rasta attitudes towards homosexuality are surely the result of Jamaica's view on it at large, shared by virtually all Christian sects present there, but their dominance of dancehall and other popular music genres throughout the decades puts them in a unique position of power.

I'm not one to blame media for societal ills, but the things they decide to preach from this pulpit are reprehensible in a way unmatched by American and European music. Over here there is the fortunately receding idea that gay men are inherently feminine and abnormal, which is reflected in popular music's usage of insults like f****t and queer to emasculate and display dominance over another person or concept. Over there they sing about shooting gays in the head, burning them alive and praising AIDS for killing them off. Frightening difference.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »

A "religion" for fifteen year old white kids who skate, smoke pot, surf for attention, live in safe, entirely white gated communities, and mill about the local surf shop like low lives for attention, while deriding fans of any form of non reggae music, the politically/musically/artistically/athletically inclined, and employed people as "hipsters." A thoroughly disgusting bunch. Those are the "Rastafarians" of Boynton Beach, Florida.

As for the Jamaican Rastafarians themselves, I just say “meh.” To each their own; they can’t be much worse than any other homophobic religion (including branches of my own faith). 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »

I have a rastafarian church a few blocks from my apartment.  My impression is that the Rastafarians in NYC fall into two camps:

-Bohemian punk white kids with dreadlocks
-Jamaican gangbangers

Both are fairly horrible, but at least the bohemian white kids are under 150 lbs and don't have guns, so they aren't a threat.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »

http://youtu.be/TcK0MYgnHjo
JimSs
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »

100% good people.  I'm not talking about the guys with dreadlocks that you see in town passing dime bags to tourists but the people who really practice the religion - the ones you don't see. 

I had the opportunity to live 7 years in the Caribbean bush amongst the Rasta.  They are the most peaceful and friendly people you ever met.  They are honest, helpful and great parents.  A subsistence lifestyle, tight social community and rarely mixing with the modern society.

I may have been accepted more as the crazy white man, good for a laugh, who built a bush camp on a flat piece of land which happened to border a small creek - until the first downpour.  I really flipped them out when I built my second camp (three stories) in a tree.  They taught me how to make charcoal and took me to their best fishing spots.  They showed me where to find limes, lemons, oranges, papayas, mangos, vanilla and fruits that I never seen, all trees that they shared and ate from.  They taught me to use sand as soap, prickly pear cactus as shampoo and aloe as cream.

My skill was weaving baskets and hats from palm leaves while sitting on a bench in the town square.  Every second tourist stops to watch and talk and then pay $10 a pop.  It was a great job for the day, you could do it in any place with tourists and coconuts and made up to $250. a day.  The third leaf on the tree is the best for weaving, just before it opens up and still a bit yellow.  Needless to say, the Rastaman were 100 times better at climbing the coco trees than I.  They always collected the leaves for me and would never let me pay anything in return.  I would have to bring something like hand tools or rope and just leave them here and there.  I did also give a weaving class to a bunch of kids and some mothers before I left.

One more story of note.  By the time I left the Caribbean I was driving an old Land Cruiser, always with the front window down, key in the ignition and plants growing out the bumpers and and holes.  I came home late one night and left my wallet with nearly $2000. sitting on the hood.  Late the next morning, when I discovered that I didn't have it, I went out the the road where I was parked.  There was my Rasta buddy Herman sitting on the hood of my jeep next to the wallet.  He had been there for hours, didn't want to touch the wallet but didn't want to leave it of fear that someone else would steal it.

I have years of daily stories - and ALL positive.
JimSs
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »

As for the homophobic comments, the Rastas call gays, 'anti-man'.  They feel it goes against nature but I've never seen any verbal or physical abuse against gays.  I've never seen any verbal or physical abuse against anyone from the Rastafari.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »

Hi Smiley you seem kinda interesting. may I ask how you wound up in Jamaica for 7 years?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies