National Government Simulation (NGS) to be starting-up soon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:47:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  National Government Simulation (NGS) to be starting-up soon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National Government Simulation (NGS) to be starting-up soon  (Read 4791 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »

http://nationalgovernmentsimulation.ipbhost.com/

This is the new sucessor to AGS.  There will be a soft launch this Friday, with the new Congressional session starting sometime after January 1.

I am by no means an AGS veteran, but this looked interesting.  The more members the merrier, so I would encourage all of y'all to jump onboard. Wink
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

This looks very interesting. For those of us unfamiliar with AGS, could you give a brief rundown of what this is/how it works? Thanks.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »

Like I said, I'm no AGS (American Government Simulation) veteran, but I've flirted with it in the past and have a basic understanding.

Basically, how NGS will work is that you will create a fictional character who is a member of the United States House of Representatives.  In the future, as membership increases, the game will expand to cover the U.S. Senate, executive branch, and the Supreme Court.  Users may also sign-on as members of the media, but where is the fun in that? Tongue 

Most of the game will be spent drafting, debating and voting upon proposed legislation.  Party leadership and committee leaders will also be elected.  As the game expands, campaigning will become a larger part of NGS, with members duking it out with one another for Senate seats or presidential nominations.

The game is run by a couple of "gods" who establish the back-story by releasing news stories, publishing economic reports, etc.  The players in the game react to these events.  In my previous experience with AGS, things in this department tend to run very smoothly and the "gods" do a good job of keeping things very realistic.  All polls/election results are determined in a way that is free from human interference. 

Two big, new elements of NGS are economy and reputation score

In "economy", every player is given some starting cash at the beginning of the game.  This cash can be used for several different things, including investing, purchasing "favors" from the media, or donating to other player's campaigns.  Players may choose to buy stock in several real-life companies in-game as a source of income.  Players may also hold fundraisers to pad their bottom lines.  Additionally, every time a player posts something substantive, proposes legislation, etc. then he or she receives an automatic cash increase.  As far as I know, there isn't any penalty for not having any cash besides not being able to purchase favorable news coverage for yourself (or negative for your opponents) or influence the other players.  So, I suppose one could just ignore that portion of the game if he found it too complicated.

The new "reputation score" model is how polling is determined.  Every time a player posts something along the lines of a press release or tweet, holds a press conference, gives a speech on the floor, etc. then he is rewarded with "reputation points".  Reputation points only come in two flavors:  (+1) or (-1).  The goal, obviously is to be a popular as possible as it helps your polling numbers.  For example, if you candidate wanted to hold a press conference on tax cuts, then based on the quality of that press conference (either "above average" or "below average") then you would receive either +1 or -1 rep points.  Also, (I may be wrong on this), if you reference a specific pending piece of legislation in your comments, it will make that legislation either more or less popular among the population, based on the quality of your post.

This is pretty much all that I know so far.

In the game, I am user JBrannon.  So, feel free to join and then PM me so that we can start our meterotic rise to political dominance!!!       
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »

bump!

The simulation has started. I've been playing it for a little bit now, and it seems really cool. Here is my profile. I'm a member of the Green Party representing San Francisco (where else?) in this simulation, one of two Greens currently playing. I'd love it if other people would come and join too, preferably as Greens but really as anything you'd like to be. Congress is almost tied right now between Dems and Reps, so every person that joins is really important. If you do join, PM me to say hi and let me know it's you. Smiley

Come on, fellow Atlas leftists, let's build a strong and active left-wing in this game! Join me and the NGS Green Party!

(Oh, and if anyone registers, pretty please list me as your referrer, since that gives me a little bonus. Thank you v much.) Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

And I've also signed up, here. Democrat of FL's 2nd district.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

Seems way too time-consuming. Perhaps I'll join in semester break/4th semester.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:11:42 PM »

I remember the old NGS, back in the early 2000s. I believe htmldon was also a member, but left shortly before I joined. He went by his real name (Don Johnson) and after he left his name was used as a humourous option in polls.
axxo1
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:42:02 AM »

Link is no longer working, it says "This Account Has Been Suspended"
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies