What Should the Driving Age Be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What Should the Driving Age Be?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What Should the Driving Age Be?  (Read 2919 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:07 AM »

The sight of a twelve year old driving a tractor on a country lane is quite terrifying, btw. Sort of thing that needs cracking down on.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »

In addition to expanding access to public transportation, we should really do something about auto insurance rates, which are ridiculous and predatory, not to mention discriminatory in many cases. I know a lot of Canadian provinces have something like public auto insurance; that sounds like something that would be a much easier sell in the United States than some of the suggestions here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »

The sight of a twelve year old driving a tractor on a country lane is quite terrifying, btw. Sort of thing that needs cracking down on.

Quite. The tractor probably can't match the 50 mph of a car that is needed to get anywhere at a sane rate.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 01:23:57 PM »

While we're on tractors, I saw a guy ride his tractor through the drive-thru a few months ago.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

In addition to expanding access to public transportation, we should really do something about auto insurance rates, which are ridiculous and predatory, not to mention discriminatory in many cases. I know a lot of Canadian provinces have something like public auto insurance; that sounds like something that would be a much easier sell in the United States than some of the suggestions here.

I don't want the federal government screwing up my car insurance. Those who are at fault in 5 accidents every other year with 2 D.U.I.'s should pay more than an adult with no accidents on their record regardless of income. Driving is a privilege not a right. Besides, if we're going to subsidize public transportation for those who can't afford it, what's the point of messing with insurance rates. People with better driving records should pay less than those with poor driving records.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »

my grandfather (born 1930) claims he drove work trucks at age 11 because all the men were in the military.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »

my grandfather (born 1930) claims he drove work trucks at age 11 because all the men were in the military.

My grandfather was born in 1931 and said he was driving down the highway by age 15 in farm trucks, but didn't have a driver's license until he was 21. I think of him when hearing of whether or not seniors should drive. We're likely close in age I'd presume? Does anyone else think we should retest every 8 years or so in order to weed out bad drivers and save lives?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 06:24:12 PM »

Oahu is amazing in this regard.  I know I posted ad nauseum about this about 9 years ago when we came back from Hawaii, but it bears mentioning here.  We didn't rent a car, just bought a monthly bus pass.  We were there for only 3 and a half weeks, but it seemed worth it.  Forty dollars for unlimited rides.  And they went everywhere!  Like, stops in the middle of a plantation.  Nothing but pineapples as far as the eye could see.  Very agro, but with a nice little bench on the side of the road.  Even though there were sometimes no passengers waiting to get on, but the bus would make its appointed stop, open the door, and wait for a few seconds before closing it and moving on.  I've long been a fan of increased funding for public transit, and this seems like a good time to mention it.

Also, although I've posted it many times before, for the sake of completeness I'll do it again:  the driving age ought to be about 30, and the test needs to be much more comprehensive and expensive than it already is.  High school students have no business driving cars.  Ever.  University students as well.  And, yes, to be honest there needs to be some re-testing at the other end of the age spectrum as well.  I know I posted about how an octogenarian ploughed into me about a year ago and smashed my car.  Yes, I'm happy that I got a check from her insurance company for more than I paid for the car, but I'd have been even happier if that woman had a better way to get around than driving a private car.  Only way that's going to happen is if we start taking public transit more seriously.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 06:54:19 PM »

Rural public transport is something that really needs to be improved; it's expensive, but that shouldn't deter from its obvious objective correctness.

And there's no excuse for suburbs (however defined) to have poor public transport. None whatsoever.
Most rural public transit around here is "dial-a-ride" service and is only available during banking hours.  It would take a massive subsidization when cars will continue to become more efficient and eventually emission-free. 

Driverless cars will eventually rule and I can see most people not needing to own one as they'll be easily summoned with perhaps only people living in the countryside owning their own.  Nix has also predicted such a setup.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »

There should be none. If you can past the test, you should be able to drive. Having said that, the tests should be harder.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »

Why should there be a minimum age?

A license should be available to any person able to pass a driving test.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2013, 05:05:31 AM »

I'd set the age for a full driver's license at 18. However, I would also allow permits at the age of 16. A permit should have to be held for one year before a license can be obtained. More importantly, I think all drivers should have to periodically retake both the written and the road tests in order to renew their license. If the renewal is once every four years (which I think is most states), both would be required for every other renewal (so, once every eight years). Anyone that can't pass both tests for a renewal shouldn't be on the road.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies