Testing Waters for a Timeline: Would those maps be possible? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:59:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Testing Waters for a Timeline: Would those maps be possible? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Testing Waters for a Timeline: Would those maps be possible?  (Read 4403 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« on: August 11, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »
« edited: August 11, 2013, 08:45:12 PM by Dallasfan65 »

While I see these maps as "do-able", I don't think they're possible for the given candidates. I tried to hazard a guess for these two scenarios.

1976:

I can see Udall potentially nabbing Texas with Bentsen on the ticket given the strength of the TXDP at the time, but I think that's where it ends. Udall's a bit of an eccentric figure and I'm not sure he'd do well on the national stage, though the unpopularity of the Republican Party and Reagan's conservatism stops it from being a blowout. Coincidentally this map is pretty close to the EV count in yours (308 - 230 Reagan.)

1980:

From here on out, not sure where you'd like to go. If Brown's term goes well (Morning in America, perhaps limited top-bracket tax cuts and some deficit reduction) then you could have this:

1984:

President Jerry Brown / Vice President Jimmy Carter: 384 Electoral Votes
Minority Leader Howard Baker / Representative Guy Jagt: 154 Electoral Votes

I guess Florida's a toss-up. Howard Baker is an ideal candidate for Florida's political culture during the 80's, but perhaps the aforementioned top-bracket tax cuts could ingratiate Brown to the Gold Coast (which had been a Republican stronghold at the time) and stem the bleeding in Yellow Dog areas.

EDIT: Forgot Reagan had Schweicker as his running-mate in your scenario.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies