MA: MLK Day Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:43:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: MLK Day Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: MLK Day Act (Statute)  (Read 533 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:20 AM »
« edited: August 25, 2013, 07:08:26 PM by Inks.LWC Supports Chuck Hagel »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: shua
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:22:12 AM »

Martin Luther King Jr is an inspirational and transformational figure to this day, who showed us the power of nonviolent action to promote freedom for all and heal our divisions.  I was disappointed to see Feds replace his day with a more generic holiday, but as a region we can continue to recognize this  day.  I propose to celebrate this on his actual birthday rather than creating a 3 day weekend, as I think it helps the recognition of the day's meaning. Through this day people can go out and serve their communities. Hopefully too, on this day people will have opportunities to step outside our normally segregated lives.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »

An idea has just crossed my mind: What about renaming the federal "Civil Rights Day" as "Martin Luther King Day" for regional purposes? The holiday would still remain a federal one and be treated as such according to the text of the "Holidays Act", but the Mideast Government would officially refer to it as "Martin Luther King Day". This way, there is no need to establish an additional holiday. Sure, the feds may not like it and there might be a court case but I think it could work.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

An idea has just crossed my mind: What about renaming the federal "Civil Rights Day" as "Martin Luther King Day" for regional purposes? The holiday would still remain a federal one and be treated as such according to the text of the "Holidays Act", but the Mideast Government would officially refer to it as "Martin Luther King Day". This way, there is no need to establish an additional holiday. Sure, the feds may not like it and there might be a court case but I think it could work.

the problem with that is the Civil Rights Day is in May and has no connection that I'm aware of to MLK.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »

the problem with that is the Civil Rights Day is in May and has no connection that I'm aware of to MLK.

That's right. There's no way we could change the holiday's date so if we followed through with the plan I have laid out the date would be entirely arbitrary. I don't think that would be a tragedy but I'm not going to insist on that idea if you think that defeats the purpose of a MLK day.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »

Hmm. It does seem redundant to have two holidays dedicated to civil rights. I'd suggest going through with the regional name change, and hopefully, in turn, influencing the federal government to go through with a date change for the holiday.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2013, 09:52:12 PM by shua »

Actually, I don't see any reason why federal holidays have to be regional holidays also. There are several aspects of the federal holiday calendar that I find odd. (ex, how does Conservation Day incorporate Arbor Day when August isn't typically a good time to plant a tree?)  Maybe we can draw up our own list.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:40:20 PM »

I don't see any reason why we couldn't have one holiday specifically to honor Dr. King and another to honor all civil rights leaders throughout history.  Therefore, I support this bill as written.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

I don't see any reason why we couldn't have one holiday specifically to honor Dr. King and another to honor all civil rights leaders throughout history.  Therefore, I support this bill as written.

I pretty much feel the same way
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »

Is anyone else interested in having our own set of regional holidays as opposed to the federal ones?   If not, I'll just stick with this bill as it stands.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

I don't really see the need to create a separate set of regional holidays.  The bill is good as it stands right now.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »

I don't really see the need to create a separate set of regional holidays.  The bill is good as it stands right now.

Agreed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 01:37:05 AM »

I think we're all in agreement, and there's not much actual debate going on, so let's take this to a final vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »

Aye
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:02:06 PM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »

Aye
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »

Hrn... I suppose the job to sign this into law--once voting closes--may fall to me.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »

Aye
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 4, and the NAYs are 0, with 1 not voting.  The AYEs have it, and the bill has passed.  The bill is now passed onto the Acting Governor for his signature or veto.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies